• Twilight in my opinion was not overrated, any man should know before watching the chick-flick series that it was geared for teenage girls and shouldn’t except anything else. I watched it, with my wife, and I survived. However, I had a coworker that took a woman to go see it on a first date, he decided it was cause enough to cancel any further dates.

Now Underworld is a vampire movie series we men can enjoy. Wow, those leather body suits.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@GoSanchez6:

Any movie where the space aliens are trying to conquer earth and there is an actor like Dennis Quaid in it.

Does this include Independence Day, with Will Smith as the analogue? Because I think ID is a great film.

• @Imperious:

Any movie with Jennifer Lopez

Mmm, i seem to remember U-Turn being okay, though.

But i suppose you mean ‘typical’ Jen Lopez films.

@Imperious:

This is why i hate these type of movies…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzceykTiwjs

It is just the most ridiculous, cheezy crapola that ruins movies and turns a theater into a 2 hour child day care center.

I cringe when i see this type of thing.

Yeah, that is pretty bad. It looks like he is on the moon. I will say that not all superhero movies are done so poorly…

• Sponsor

Any overrated movies on my list of 333?

@Young:

That is partly what brought about this topic. Though I will have to take a second look.

@Young:

Well, The Matrix, which I already pointed out.

Crash… I did not like that movie at all and I don’t understand why so many people do. It seemed purposeless.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Wait wait wait…

So Twilight gets immunity because it was -geared- for teenage girls?  But Harry Potter doesn’t because it was -geared- for children?

And neither does avatar/matrix, because it was geared for sci-fi freaks?

Wow, that really blows.

Anything else I should know about this -deciding whats overrated- process before I decide to continue engaging in it?

And what exactly is -overation-?  To me it’s the fact that people are pumping something up, and promoting it as the best thing since sliced bread, even though it’s not really that great… and leaves you feeling empty in the end.

@Gargantua:

And what exactly is -overation-?  To me it’s the fact that people are pumping something up, and promoting it as the best thing since sliced bread, even though it’s not really that great… and leaves you feeling empty in the end.

Well yes, that is essentially what I am talking about. I did define it earlier: something that does not live up to its pre- or post release hype or critical acclaim… and/or did not deserve to make so much money or be so popular based on it being a poor film, for whatever reasons you wish to list. It should be based about 50/50 on your preferences and stylistic or critical points. Just because you didn’t like it really is not good enough, because then it is strictly a matter of opinion and it doesn’t matter what anyone says.

@Gargantua:

Wait wait wait…

So Twilight gets immunity because it was -geared- for teenage girls?  But Harry Potter doesn’t because it was -geared- for children?

And neither does avatar/matrix, because it was geared for sci-fi freaks?

No, I did not say that. I did say that Twilight, and any film geared distinctly toward a certain gender, is more difficult to evaluate because it is rare that the typical male will enjoy it. How can you comment on how good it is or how overrated it turned out to be if you could care less about it in either case.

I am not saying a person can’t legitimately comment on a movie from a genre don’t like, because they still can, but it is more difficult to do if it doesn’t interest you in the first place; you aren’t invested in it. You “imagined” that Twilight was overrated, and for a guy like you and me it sure is. You don’t even have to see it to know that; we just don’t care about it. But any given girl might tell you differently. My fiance said the exact same thing I thought she would: Twilight was not as good as the book, but the movies are not “overrated”, as I have defined.

The Harry Potter books may have initially been geared towards kids, but that rapidly evolved to the point where as many adults as children were reading them, if not more. I have not seen the movies, but i understand that they evolved in a similar fashion; they became more mature and more appealing to adults as they progressed.

I also reject that Avatar and The Matrix are geared only towards sci-fi junkies. It is obvious from Avatar’s worldwide financial success that many more people than just the sci-fi crowd were into it (or at least bought into it). Avatar, as a film, was designed that way. The Matrix has become a classic and, as some have said, revolutionary. Only time will tell if the same holds for Twilight, but I doubt it. Men and women, young and old really can get into movies like The Matrix, Avatar and Star Wars… even if those who are most vocal on enjoying them are men.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

Well, The Matrix, which I already pointed out.

Crash… I did not like that movie at all and I don’t understand why so many people do. It seemed purposeless.

I agree with you about Avatar, but The Matrix was an original, cool, and good looking action film… even if the acting was subpar. Crash was intense, disturbing, controversial, and well acted which gives it a quality all good films have… memorable. This type of movie has its fans and critics… another good one is Crossing Over with Harrison Ford.

Getting back on topic though… I thought that the Hunger Games was overrated. They thought that some unique costumes, and a screen play based on a top selling novel can excuse the fact that it should have been more violent considering the whole premise.

The best part about crash is when that car jacker gets shot, when he’s just trying to -legitimately- hitch hike.

The death was DESERVED.

Maybe he was even still alive enough to burn to death in the car.  I hate scum like that. I laughed outloud in the theatre, whilst others sobbed.

@Young:

I agree with you about Avatar, but The Matrix was an original, cool, and good looking action film… even if the acting was subpar. Crash was intense, disturbing, controversial, and well acted which gives it a quality all good films have… memorable. This type of movie has its fans and critics… another good one is Crossing Over with Harrison Ford.

Getting back on topic though… I thought that the Hunger Games was overrated. They thought that some unique costumes, and a screen play based on a top selling novel can excuse the fact that it should have been more violent considering the whole premise.

Regarding The Matrix, I did not see it when it came out, and only first saw it about 3 years ago. It is entirely possible that my late coming and reference frame with many movies post-Matrix tainted my viewing experience. So I don’t claim my perspective on it as gospel. I do however stick to it being less than I expected.

It has been years since I watched Crash, and would watch it again to refresh my view on it, but I tend to dislike those movies with a plot that is no bigger than the characters in it and as it relates all of their lives as somehow connecting. It feels like a disjointed and contrived narrative which has no impact on the wider world. That is just my opinion. I disliked War Horse for the same reason. While I felt it had some of the best portrayals of The First World War I have ever seen, it was just depressing, overlong and too much of an emotionally driven movie for me to like it. It was well made though.

Yes, I agree The Hunger Games was WAY overrated. I personally did not expect much from the movie going in, and got even less coming out. But everyone else hyped it up and made it out to be the biggest hit of the summer which I am tremendously glad to say was not the case. This one also goes into my category of ruined by immediate capitalization and commercialization. The novel was a big hit very quickly, and the first thing people want to do when anything like that happens is make a movie of it. One reason I believe The Lord of the Rings was done so well as a film is because it had decades to grow and mature in culture and literature without the hyper-commercialization and shallow development of the digital age. Unfortunately, The Hunger Games and Harry Potter came out at a time when books jump straight to film and are not given time to really sink in with people. Anyway, I thought it was poorly done and felt hollow. Plus the adolescent actors were really not very good.

• Garg: it is even better because his cop brother sold himself out to save him!
    I do like that film.

• Sponsor

In reguards to these types of movies with the same style of intertwining plot lines, here is my top 5.

1. Crossing Over
    2. Crash
    3. Babel
    4. Magnolia
    5. Sliding Doors

• Oh : Narnia is way over rated. Assuming it is for children, it’s alright. But losta grown-ups do like it the same. C’mon man !
    Da Vinci Code and sequels are a bit overrated too, but still enjoyable movies.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Requiem for a Dream

@Canuck12:

Requiem for a Dream

Heard of, have not seen.

• Sponsor

@Canuck12:

Requiem for a Dream

A solid movie, but doesn’t deserve it’s title of “cult classic”.

You know I watched it… and… well.

I really kind of found it boring? :S

The title doesn’t sound promising.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m