• Hi, i’m new to the forums. Me and my friends have been playing the global game for about a month (usually as Japan) now and i did something that my friends considered bizarre and i wanted to get your opinion. around turn 2 or 3 i land some men in south America to threaten Mexico and Mainland US. Usually at the same time i land troops in Alaska. The Axis did end up winning this game (More thanks to some very luck German rolls in Russia) but we were still rookies so we were quite new. Also what is your opinion on moving the Jap fleet to Sea zone 14 so i can threaten both the Western Coast and Hawaii at the same time? again I’m still a rookie so i don’t know whats considered a good move and bad move. thanks!

• Hi Stilgar. Probably best to wait for Garg’s opinion, as he is king of Bizarre.
    SZ14 is within reach of both Hawaii and WUS, but it is 2 moves from Japan. (Interestingly via SZ4 SFar East. Umm!) General consensus is Japan does not take the war to the US, instead goes for the money islands and India, while stalemating US Navy from Caroline islands.
    I am not an innovator; and it worked for you. Would say same for S America expedition.
    Anyway, welcome and do not ever stop!

• @Stilgar2300:

Hi, i’m new to the forums. Me and my friends have been playing the global game for about a month (usually as Japan) now and i did something that my friends considered bizarre and i wanted to get your opinion. around turn 2 or 3 i land some men in south America to threaten Mexico and Mainland US. Usually at the same time i land troops in Alaska. The Axis did end up winning this game (More thanks to some very luck German rolls in Russia) but we were still rookies so we were quite new. Also what is your opinion on moving the ��� fleet to Sea zone 14 so i can threaten both the Western Coast and Hawaii at the same time? again I’m still a rookie so i don’t know whats considered a good move and bad move. thanks!

Bad idea to attack neutrals in South America, or are you landing in Panama?  A US destroyer in z9 will block your attack on Western USA.

• With naval superiority the key to taking the United States is a feint from Hawaii. Get a large landing force with Japan and keep it in any of the various ranges of Hawaii.

This isn’t a strategy as much as it is an opportunity. The key factors that have to happen in a game for you take advantage of:

• America has invested in the Atlantic (which means less Pacfic fleet or possibly none)

• A very defensive German/Italian fleet (possibly stuck in the med/baltic). This means that America may get sloppy about their defenses in EUS.

• America may have “sent the house” to Europe, meaning they have not left enough units in EUS to properly defend.

America generally can get lazy or cocky, assuming they will always have enough time to properly build up some “Instant D” before any major super power can get there. As Japan when you move an invasion fleet to Hawaii the natural reaction for America is to D up on WUS since it’s within striking distance. They’ll probably also spam destroyers to stop any shell attempts.

The trick is to instead launch into SZ64 and take Central America and Mexico. This puts you in the unique advantage of being able to strike any section of the US on your next turn. If America was sloppy and stocked up on infantry in the WUS, they won’t be able to move them back to EUS in time. You have to make sure to leave a troop in Mexico to prevent America from simply closing the straight on you.

This isn’t a “strategy” as you can’t really plan a game around it, but when you see the opening you should always consider whether or not you can take it. Any chance at taking Washington from a sloppy American player is worth trying.

• '15

I don’t get it.  Why can’t the USA just build Inf or whatever in all three places?  They always have money to spare.

Then again, if you invasion fleet can take out 10 Inf, I could see this working.

• It’s to hopefully get them to shift any normal defenses west first, leaving less in the east. The idea of being on Hawaii could cause America to shift defenses to WUS for a landing at San Fran. No matter how you land, America can obviously build 10 infantry, but putting yourself in position to attack either coast always gives you the option of attacking the weaker one.

Being on Hawaii normally doesn’t cause America to buy 30 infantry, 10 on each. They’ll simply try to buff up Western. On Japan you move to SZ64, America moves what it can to Central (too many tanks to EUS means no go usually), then on Japan’s next turn you take EUS and grab the cash and promptly get crushed by the counter attack. Never said it was a good plan, but taking America is probably “bizarre attacK”.

You’re probably always going to be facing 30 infantry in America at some point if you try to take it. Again, taking out America doesn’t really happen anyway, but if you’re set on trying, might as well go for taking the IPC.

• TripleA

no

• Two questions: (global noob, so please forgive stupidity)

1. if all of the UK transports survive the opening round of G1, would you take Venezuela, Portugal, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Persia, and Saudi Arabia?  That would give you 13 IPC, and really only give Sweden to the Axis.  This would really keep Germany offbalance and away from Russia for a while.

2)What prevents Germany from building a mIC in Romania, then G2 planting a carrier, DD, transport in the Black Sea (since the strait is closed, why not bypass the strait), then just build more and more transports to bypass the Russian lines)?

I’m sure this has been asked before, but just wanted to see.

• @Mallery29:

2)What prevents Germany from building a mIC in Romania, then G2 planting a carrier, DD, transport in the Black Sea (since the strait is closed, why not bypass the strait), then just build more and more transports to bypass the Russian lines)?

Good idea, especially if Italy takes Greece round 1 and builds an airbase round 2.  It should go well if Japan takes down India.  Problem with it is that its very slow and you spend a lot of money on infrastructure (IC, airbase, carrier, transports, destroyer, fighters) while the Russians are building infantry.  There is a lot of oil money to be made in the middle east though.

• G1: IC, DD, SS, Mech
    G2: CV, DD, TT for Romania, buy whatever (Tanks/mech) for Germany (you should have 70IPC to spend anyways, so what is 31 of that 70).
    IT2: Open a hole in E.Poland/Baltic
    G3: 2 more Transports, land in two units in Russia backyard
    G4: make way to Lennigrad, continue circumventing Russian defenses. (Remember the ITs can use the transports too!)

I just want to know if there is a rule preventing placing in the Black Sea since you can’t enter it.

• You are allowed to do it.

• Do you see a problem/understand the buys?  Your German subs would have to buy you time with by taking out the Brit DD/Transports (leaving the 2 CA/BB fleet in 110 alone), but once you put all your AF in Belgium, I believe you would make the UK sh&t a brick and withdrawl.  Sure, they know you wouldn’t be doing sealion and can modify buys accordingly, but you weren’t going to hold Africa anyways, so this isn’t a big deal…

• In addition to this, on IT2, use the bomber to hit Ukraine, and on G3 (assuming Brits are gone), use the Bombers to double up there and/or Lennigrad.

on G2, I guess with the 39 IPC left you could go 2 tanks, 6 mechs, 1 inf,

G3, assuming you would have about 52, take away 14 for the 2 transports, that would be another 2 tanks, 5 mechs, 2inf (depending if you need another sub or not).

• You could build an IC and 3 subs G1, then kill off the UK fleet next turn.  Take Southern France and you can drop subs to clear the med round 3 and maybe even can opener an Italian attack on Egypt.  Italy can take Greece and save enough money to build an airbase round 2.  Land 3 German/Italian fighters there. Without a DOW Russia can’t attack your ships in z100 on round 2 but if the British bomber is within range you might build a German carrier instead of an Italian airbase.  Or you could go for a destroyer and cruiser.

• I would prefer to keep IT’s money, so instead of the CV, could just build the Airbase in Romania on G2…it would save a dollar, but the CV can take hits and defends at 2.

• Greece airbase provides scramble for 3 sea zones.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Greek airbase?  Wow.  In my experience bizarre moves are the act of a desperate player, usually.  I suppose with global there is enough strategic flexibility that you could make a bizarre move with the intent to fake out an opponent. But even then you can usually discount the move by simply thinking through its implications.

A buddy of mine with whom I’ve played A&A for a long time criticizes global for being more like chess than a war game.  He has a point.  Although the luck factor I think mitigates against this.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

It’s Chess Risk… where the squares let you buy new units.

• TripleA

global games that result in little action, makes me pull out fortress america.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I like bizarre moves.  For non-regulation games (non-tournament, non-league) because it puts the other player off and might show you something neat that you can use for regulation play.

I’ve seen MANY players land Germany in Brazil and put a complex there.  Good way to annoy the crud out of America (Italy would be better, but sometimes they’re not in a position too.)

Seen invasions of Canada as well (in Alpha 3.9 no less!) with mixed effects.  What happened there, once, was that the landing happened, America went full ground forces and japan sunk the American navy - it was a suicide move, but it worked.  Germany lost like 200IPC worth of ground units, but AMerica lost at least that much in naval units, probably more.

So bizarre moves have their purpose.  Canadian shield was bizarre, then mainstream, then bizarre again.  (And yes, I’ve been known to pull it out once or twice in a “classic” game since nO ONE sees it coming anymore!)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m