Discussion for new forum policies (Users)

• Founder TripleA Admin

I want to split the discussion into two parts. A discussion about moderation and moderators and a discussion about users and user behavior.

This thread is about users and the rules that should apply and how we foster a community that is fun yet civil. Yes, it is linked to moderation but that’s for the other thread.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Every user should agree to “terms and service”, that they should be enticed to actually read.

I alluded to this in the moderater thread, before realizing you were going to create a seperate thread.

This should be called the “Code of Conduct and Common Sense for Soldiers of AA.org”.

IF a -culture- is well established on the site, people are far more likely to observe it, adhere to it, and enforce it when necessary.

• '12

This should be called the “Code of Conduct and Common Sense for Soldiers of AA.org”.

Great idea, I second the motion.

• Are those agreement/disagreement arrows really necessary? This probably isn’t the right thread to discuss them, but if someone’s comment gets slammed hard enough and sent to the very bottom of the list, then all the responses to that comment will not make any sense.

And I agree with Garg’s suggestion.

• '12

I don’t think the up or down arrows would change the position of post in a thread.  If it did then I would agree that it would be a problem.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

We already have a post with the “rules” but perhaps it should be put on the front page?  Before you even click on “forums”.  At least it would be easy to find then.

• @Cmdr:

We already have a post with the “rules” but perhaps it should be put on the front page?  Before you even click on “forums”.  At least it would be easy to find then.

perhaps I am blind……but I have never once read the “rules”, where can I find them?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=6047.0

Right there, JWW.  But as I said, it’s buried and not easy to find, hence why, maybe, we should update them and post them on the home screen.

EDIT:  Noticed if I took off the tail part of the link, it gave you the pretty version.
    EDIT:  Notice, these were penned by Yanny on 15 Feb, 2006.

• very simple and straightforward. That is good. Thank you

• @djensen:

I want to split the discussion into two parts. A discussion about moderation and moderators and a discussion about users and user behavior.

This thread is about users and the rules that should apply and how we foster a community that is fun yet civil. Yes, it is linked to moderation but that’s for the other thread.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling. Below are my thoughts on the subject.

1. Personal attacks or flames should never be permitted.

2. Discussion of modern politics, or modern political controversies, should not be permitted.

3. Discussion of WWII history, including controversies relating to WWII, should be permitted.

4. No other major prohibitions should be put into place.

5. The rules put into place should create predictability. As an example, if the rules prohibit personal attacks, no user should ever make one. If an attack is nevertheless made, the moderators should always take some sort of action. If some rules are enforced but not others, or if a rule is enforced some of the time but not at other times, the result is unpredictable. When moderators act unpredictably, some will see them as biased.

6. To help create predictability, the rules should not employ any ambiguous words or phrases.

7. The rules should be stated in the terms of service. In addition, it should be as easy as possible to find them via links. Moderators should copy and paste the rules in their entirety into any post which announces a moderation decision.

• Moderators should copy and paste the rules in their entirety into any post

Yes good point i was gonna make. The text of the rules should be crafted in a manner where exact conduct code can be copied and posted in these threads for consistency. This not only treats bad posts universally, but gives moderators a constant reference to the rules so they understand them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m