@Uncrustable:

It is so geographically correct that it is unplayable

Very disappointing as i was really looking forward to playing this :(

Germany cannot fit period
    France cannot fit
    UK is tight
    Japan is tight
    Alot of Russia either cant fit or is super tight

Alot of the territories can barely fit a single chip, and settup calls for several units :P

Reallying hoping someone releases a playable version where geography can be thrown out
    You have less room in Europe in this map than you do in the spring 1942 version (this map is 4 times bigger than 42 lol)

Well I wouldn’t call it unplayable as it has been play tested quite a bit by very experienced A&A players but yes Europe is crowded, especially Germany. A temporary fix is the task force marker cards available for free on the HBG website. Another fix could be modifying the setup by reducing the number of units but you would have to work at getting the right balance. On the 8x4 map, Western Europe is slightly larger than AAE40 but there are more spaces and a denser starting setup.

There will be a new map coming out soon by the same map makers which addresses the problems of overcrowded territories. Apparently Europe has been enlarged at least by 20%, Africa has been reduced, and some other nice modifications.

Coach is a very fair dealer and the consumate professional so I’m sure you could work out a deal with him once the new map comes out if you are unhappy with the old one (possible an exchange).

I hope you are right ;)

• Save the old map you got know, then when you get new map, cut out pieces from old map and use for extra pieces like the old A&A game where capitals were on the side for over crowding. I tryed to keep my first map because the printer made a mistake, but wouldn’t give it to me. Then he made a corrected one. Should of offered some money for it.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

The game is certainly NOT unplayable. The beginning setup is VERY tight and can be difficult especially on the smaller map (which is the one I have), which is why I use the marshaling cards. There are a couple things to keep in mind however.

1. After the first turn, a lot of this is thinned out.
    2. There are MANY MORE TYPES of units in GW39 than in AA42 or even G40, lending itself to needing much more space.
    3. If the map were changed to make Germany and Russia the same size, you would not recognize it as our world.

To maintain enough realism in the game and keep our cool little plastic figures instead of cardboard chits, we must keep the World LOOKING like the World. Otherwise, we may as well play the game with cardboard or have the map look like a chess board.

Rest assured, we are doing everything we can to balance these two issues. If space in Europe is a primary concern and you are not willing to use marshaling cards, I recommend waiting for the revised version and buying the big one. Just remember, it will require a 4’ wide table. Not something most have the luxury of using.

• Having a board this big full of marshaling cards is really retarded in my humble opinion.

Yeah the world looks great, too bad all the peices have to go on cardboard rectangles somewhere else in my room, making the game even more difficult to play. “Il attack Germany from Austria, ok which f**ing cards are the ones for those territories, this is not fun i quit”

So instead of a game board with cool plastic pieces on it representing armies, i got a game board that’s full of little cardboard circles with numbers :P

Yeah thats REALLY fun lol

This is all very frustrating because i spent actual money on this and wish that i didn’t.

I hope that MR viable at least realizes the irony in his post.

@Variable:

The game is certainly NOT unplayable. The beginning setup is VERY tight and can be difficult especially on the smaller map (which is the one I have), which is why I use the marshaling cards.

To maintain enough realism in the game and keep our cool little plastic figures instead of cardboard chits, we must keep the World LOOKING like the World. Otherwise, we may as well play the game with cardboard or have the map look like a chess board.

L.O.L.
    So you want to play with cardboard or you dont want to ?
    because in this game you HAVE to use cardboard and you say sarcastically “we may as well play the game with cardboard”
    yet you also say “i use marshaling cards” which is cardboard correct ?
    wow

@Variable:

3. If the map were changed to make Germany and Russia the same size, you would not recognize it as our world.

So ive been playing axis and allies all these years i never even realized that its a world map because its not scaled correctly :P

im about 33% angry 33% amused and 33% totally confused

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Uncrustable,
    If you do not like the map, please return it to HBG (me). I will refund your money.
    I have been playing on this map for 2 years and do not have all the problems you talk about.
    Variable is correct, after turn 1, the pieces thin down. We need a large amount of pieces so that the game does not go heavy one way or another depending on some lucky dice rolls.
    I rather you return the map instead of bashing the map and game all the time, many people enjoy the game. I always find solutions to problems, no game is perfect and if you find one let me know.
    You are entilitled to your opinion but I think you are going a little far.
    Coach

• @coachofmany:

Uncrustable,
    If you do not like the map, please return it to HBG (me). I will refund your money.
    I have been playing on this map for 2 years and do not have all the problems you talk about.
    Variable is correct, after turn 1, the pieces thin down. We need a large amount of pieces so that the game does not go heavy one way or another depending on some lucky dice rolls.
    I rather you return the map instead of bashing the map and game all the time, many people enjoy the game. I always find solutions to problems, no game is perfect and if you find one let me know.
    You are entilitled to your opinion but I think you are going a little far.
    Coach

Somebody has actually just actually offered to buy the map off me as a wall poster (it is a beautifull work of art i do not take that away)
    Even if i did return it id spend too much on shipping with nothing to show for it. Unless the refund included shipping cost (I doubt it).
    So that worked out well anyway. :D

The main problem is i purchased the smaller map (no room for the larger in my house except the floor).
    I only criticize the scale as the smaller map cant be setup in Europe, (without bunch of marshaling cards) the larger map may make up the difference i do not know.

I would suggest a warning to future customers about buying the smaller map to be honest, nothing like spending 80$ and being disappointed, better to buy the larger or nothing at all.

Coach: Is there anything in the future involving a rescaled version of this map ?
    I look forward to it if there is.

Coach has asked me to take some pictures of the opening setup for Global War 1939 on the smaller map. Again, this is the 34" X 72" map that is roughly the same size as G40. For comparison sake, I used the G40 facility markers for AA guns and ICs. Bases are printed on the map itself. Setup is the latest version from Tigerman (version 4). I did not setup any Neutrals as I usually set those up when they are invaded. The larger map is about 25% bigger than this one. There are plans to make a revised version of this map that will enlarge the tighter areas a bit more. Follow the thread on that here: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26694.0

GW39setup1.JPG

Another view.

GW39setup2.JPG

A look at Japan.

GW39setup3.JPG

• These pictures demonstrate the advantages of using cardboard chits for ICs and AAs. I might have to try using them next time.

• If you’re redoing the board, is there a way you can add in Belgium? I see you have Belgian Congo as a seperate Belgian territorry but Belgium itself is nowhere to be found… I know you adding another European territory isn’t exactly what you need but I can still ask :p

• i second that.

• Here is a pic of Europe with Jeremy’s D6 setup on the 8’x4’ map:

Europe D6 Setup-sm (800x451).jpg

• @Uncrustable:

Having a board this big full of marshaling cards is really retarded in my humble opinion.

Yeah the world looks great, too bad all the peices have to go on cardboard rectangles somewhere else in my room, making the game even more difficult to play. “Il attack Germany from Austria, ok which f**ing cards are the ones for those territories, this is not fun i quit”

So instead of a game board with cool plastic pieces on it representing armies, i got a game board that’s full of little cardboard circles with numbers :P

Yeah thats REALLY fun lol

This is all very frustrating because i spent actual money on this and wish that i didn’t.

I hope that MR viable at least realizes the irony in his post.

@Variable:

The game is certainly NOT unplayable. The beginning setup is VERY tight and can be difficult especially on the smaller map (which is the one I have), which is why I use the marshaling cards.

L.O.L.
    So you want to play with cardboard or you dont want to ?
    because in this game you HAVE to use cardboard and you say sarcastically “we may as well play the game with cardboard”
    yet you also say “i use marshaling cards” which is cardboard correct ?
    wow

@Variable:

So ive been playing axis and allies all these years i never even realized that its a world map because its not scaled correctly :P

im about 33% angry 33% amused and 33% totally confused

HOW COULD YOU NOT LIKE THIS MAP!!! sorry for the outburst.

• '10

It is BY FAR the best map I have ever played on.

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

Me too.

@empireman:

HOW COULD YOU NOT LIKE THIS MAP!!! sorry for the outburst.

Easy, to much going on and takes forever to play

It is a nice piece of art work though

• I like this map very much. I wonder if its possible to get a personalized version with some territory names/colors changed and no preprinted naval/air bases (for a fee of course).

Maybe an idea to make major rivers and mountain ranges into boundaries which could affect movement and attack/defense values? Or to print a certain number of ‘major’ cities on the map to simulate ‘urban warfare’ which for every city would put one infantry on a +1 for defense?

• @FieldMarshalGames:

It is BY FAR the best map I have ever played on.

I never played though :cry:
    But it looks WAY better than G40. Also, The board is Amazing!

• I too would be interested in a map that shows terrain and major rivers.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m