• @Obergruppenfuhrer:

That is the most awesome quote Gewehr!

“It is the soldier,not the reporter,
    Who has given us freedom of the press.
    It is the soldier,not the poet,
    Who has given us the freedom of speech.
    It is the soldier,not the campus organizer,
    Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier,not the lawyer,
    Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
    It is the soldier,
    Who salutes the flag,
    Who serves under the flag,
    And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
    Who allows the protester to burn the flag”

Wow, call me dumb.  I thought it was the US Constitution that did those things.

• @Jermofoot:

@Obergruppenfuhrer:

It is the soldier,
    Who salutes the flag,

Sure. I’ll call you dumb if you really want. A piece of paper does NOTHING without action. Nice try on “the bigger picture” though. I’ll give you that.

• @Obergruppenfuhrer:

@Jermofoot:

@Obergruppenfuhrer:

It is the soldier,
    Who salutes the flag,

Sure. I’ll call you dumb if you really want. A piece of paper does NOTHING without action. Nice try on “the bigger picture” though. I’ll give you that.

There hasn’t been need for “action.”  Show me where I could have been repressed by any other nation in the last 200 years, and I’ll give you everything listed above as truth.

Even then, the fact that a soldier must act to preserve a right given by the rule of the land shows that the soldier is subservient, not superior.

• A soldier in the US military swears to uphold the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.  He does not swear allegiance to the current president, or current head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.  That is a very important piece of paper.  That piece of paper was the result of a fair amount of action called the Revolutionary War, fought by people who held those beliefs, none of whom were professional soldiers, and by the thoughts of some of the finest minds this country has ever had.  A soldier protects those rights, he does not and never will give them to the citizens of this country.

The German military swore allegiance to Hitler prior to WW2, which was part of their undoing.  For a classic case of a military with no civilian control, read Kogun written by a Japanese Imperial General Headquarters staff officer.  Another choice would be The Great War by Correlli Barnet, on the German military in WW1.

• @timerover51:

A soldier in the US military swears to uphold the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.  He does not swear allegiance to the current president, or current head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.  That is a very important piece of paper.  That piece of paper was the result of a fair amount of action called the Revolutionary War, fought by people who held those beliefs, none of whom were professional soldiers, and by the thoughts of some of the finest minds this country has ever had.  A soldier protects those rights, he does not and never will give them to the citizens of this country.

The German military swore allegiance to Hitler prior to WW2, which was part of their undoing.  For a classic case of a military with no civilian control, read Kogun written by a Japanese Imperial General Headquarters staff officer.  Another choice would be The Great War by Correlli Barnet, on the German military in WW1.

See, that’s a good point. I like that. The soldier PROTECTS our rights and doesn’t give us them. Protection, whether done by a soldier or a brave person in the revolutionary war, they ACT to protect. That brilliant piece of paper would mean nothing without those that have sworn and given their lives to uphold it.

• Without the soilder, specifically in this case the US soider. The US would have none of those rights because we wouldn’t be here, we would be ruled by the UK, Spanish, Hitler, Japs, or the Soviets. Cause those soilders were and are the ones who protect our rights of the constitution and what we stand for. Without them the constitution would be a pile of ashes.

• OK so both the paper and the men to back up its resolve are important. Lets just talk about the MP44 automatic rifle and thats it.

• Oh c’mon Imperious leader! Don’t be like that!  :-D But whatever you say is as good as an order to me sir “Oh gracious giver of karma”!!  Ok then. Lets talk about that. Umm. You wanna start Imperious? I’d like to know more details and history. I ALWAYS wanna know more details and history.

• Ok course thats right, but then make a thread. But this thread is about an advanced German automatic rifle and got sidetracked into the US constitution and who safeguards it.  Thats pretty far away.

I love football

Now thats Far away.  :-P

• @Imperious:

Ok course thats right, but then make a thread. But this thread is about an advanced German automatic rifle and got sidetracked into the US constitution and who safeguards it.  Thats pretty far away.

True – these threads can get pretty far off from what we started talking about. There’s thousands of variables in each subject of debate and with so many passionate beliefs here – I can see how we get off track so quickly sometimes.

• How many Sturmgewehr 1944 were actually produced?

Even if we get off subject, you people are great! I enjoy talking WW II.

• @ABWorsham:

How many Sturmgewehr 1944 were actually produced?

Even if we get off subject, you people are great! I enjoy talking WW II.

Oh no ABWorsham. Don’t be so modest. It is YOU that is great.  :-D

• 425,977 MP44’s were built.

its better to call it by the common name.

The MP40 was the first substantial effort with other models following.

• @Gewehr:

Also known as the MP44, although technically it wasn’t a MachinePistol, was the world very first “Assualt Riffle”. Recently I’ve noticed/relized something, with out it, the worlds modern day weapons would be very different. Look at the StG44, then look at 3/4s of the modern day riffles, and there’ll probly be something similar about them. Ex: AK style guns have the shortened riffle cartriges but still have the stopping power of the riffle rounds, the banana style mags, the unique short stroke vented style of gas-operation, all G3s have the same type of stock and foregrip, the ejection port on the M4 and M16 styles are almost exactly the same, ect.

I think it’s amazing what the Germans came up with for this gun and how it’s parts and differnt type of componets are still used today in our modern weaponry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmgewehr_44

Good thread and subject. :) Had the assault rifle been invented and produced a little earlier, it could have fundamentally altered the Nazi-Soviet War.

• Hitler’s idiocy with this weapon was a godsend for humanity.  Had he put a 1/100 of the resources into developing this, and the 44, turned into the 41 we would all be speaking German now.  As it happened it had to be hidden from the dumkuff that it was even developed in the first place.  Fast jets and big tanks are sexy, but ground troops win wars.  You put this kind of an advancement into the hands of the German military in 41, the Russian war wouldn’t have lasted to 42.

I held one and got my picture taken with it at a WW2 renenactment.  Derz is right, they are heavy as hell in comparison to an M16.

The US also copied the MG 42 to an extent.  It’s called the M-60.

The German Scientists and engineers were absolute weapons geniuses. If they were not held back by red tape (Hitler)
    who knows what they would have come up with

• @Deaths:

The US also copied the MG 42 to an extent.  It’s called the M-60.

The German Scientists and engineers were absolute weapons geniuses. If they were not held back by red tape (Hitler)
    who knows what they would have come up with

They would have come up with the best tank in the world!  :-D

• Atom bomb, unmanned vehicles (air/sea drones), many other things.  They already had those flying bombs.

• @Deaths:

The German Scientists and engineers were absolute weapons geniuses. If they were not held back by red tape (Hitler) who knows what they would have come up with

To keep things in perspective, two things have to be kept in mind.  The first was that, although Hitler definitely had a talent for meddling in weapons development programs, he’s not the only factor that got in the way of those programs.  For instance: while it’s true that the production of the Me-262 jet fighter was slowed down by Hitler’s wish to see the plane adapted to the light bomber role, another hindrance was the purely technical issue that Germany had trouble developing high-temperature turbine blades for it and producing them in sufficient quantities.  The second thing to keep in mind is that no matter how sophisticated and revolutionary and impressive a new weapon system might be, those qualities in and of themselves can’t be considered in isolation from a country’s overall war effort.  Germany produced a lot of gee-whiz technology that anticipated the weapons systems of the Cold War, but at the cost of paying insufficient attention to devices which were less glamorous but which had far more practical value…for instance something as basic as jeep-type vehicles, something which on the American side was regarded by Eisenhower as one of the four key war-winning weapons of the Allied powers.  If those gee-whiz German technologies had been produced in large enough numbers and in reliable enough models they might have compensated for Germany’s neglect of dull but valuable basics, but that didn’t happen.  To use an automotive analogy, Germany spent too much time developing flashy single-copy concept cars for auto salons and not enough time mass-producing modest but proven commuter cars on its plant assembly lines.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m