Global/Europe/Pacific 1939 for 1940 2nd Editon

• Aside from minor things
    1: turn order (I really like this)
    2: Weaker US and Russia
    3: Stronger Italy
    4: Better situation in Pacific overall that allows more variety
    5: Minor things that promote giving players many options to choose from
    For instance, Germany can try for France turn 1 but it will cost a lot of air power.
    UK can hit Norway or Belgium like they really did (of course we know they lost but it might work here)
    Russia has a better navy and a strategic bomber, but fewer infantry and fast units.
    China and Japan have a big war on their hands and Japan’s superiority is much more pronounced at sea.
    Italy has a great chance at taking Egypt and keeping their fleet alive.
    France can do interesting things.  I already have a strategy I like to use for them that I called “De Gaulle’s Dream.”
    Here is how you do it:
    Turn one (suppossing Germany did not take all risk and knock out Paris) buy 2 infantry, 1 AA gun, 1 destroyer (3 inf 1 des for Europe only).
    Retreat Paris troops to Normandy.  Yes, give up the capital, Germany has it in the bag.
    Send fighters to UK.
    Use transports to dump all you can on Algeria from France (2 infantry, 1 artillery) and get UK to build mega fleet with you in SZ 92.
    Turn 2, your capital will have fallen, but now move that navy back to SZ 110 and take troops to UK.
    Enchante!  Now you have successfully brought seven French units from France to continue fighting! And Algeria force can push on Libya.  De Gaulle’s Dream came true.  Supposing all goes well, France will have all the following F2 in UK, Africa, and at sea:  10 infantry, 2 artillery, 1 AA gun, 2 tanks, 2 fighters, 1 mech., 1 sub, 2 destroyers, 1 cruiser, 1 battleship.

Of course, alterations can and will have to be made, but the idea is instead of forcing a big fight for Paris, withdraw all you can so France can fight another day.

Vive le france!

So, in short, we improved balance to the point I think is fair and gave people more options.  Next week I will have the guys look at the Pacific setup just one last time and then I will release it and Global.

• '17 '16 '15

Right on Charles ! Did you change the makeup of the strict neutrals ?

• We have our own custom strict neutral rules that are generic for Global that I did not include with 1939 to keep this alternate setup open to everybody.  We usually play with each neutral essentially being its own power that can be activated if attacked.  We give them all unit types and connect colonies to mother country.

• '17 '16 '15

@Charles:

We have our own custom strict neutral rules that are generic for Global that I did not include with 1939 to keep this alternate setup open to everybody.  We usually play with each neutral essentially being its own power that can be activated if attacked.  We give them all unit types and connect colonies to mother country.

Cool. When you get a chance would you post your neutral setup as well please

• Customizer

In the opening strategy post you say Paris has a minor ic but the setup shows a major ic. Which is it?

• @barney:

@Charles:

We have our own custom strict neutral rules that are generic for Global that I did not include with 1939 to keep this alternate setup open to everybody.  We usually play with each neutral essentially being its own power that can be activated if attacked.  We give them all unit types and connect colonies to mother country.

Cool. When you get a chance would you post your neutral setup as well please

Actually that has been out for a while. https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=38615.msg%msg_id%

@knp7765:

In the opening strategy post you say Paris has a minor ic but the setup shows a major ic. Which is it?

Nice catch.  It is suppossed to be minor.  (Note that I swapped Italy’s major and minor on purpose).   I forgot to change the Paris factory from the 1940 setup.  I will fix the error.

• The Global and Pacific setups have been given the final sign off by my team and are available for play!

• '17 Customizer

Can the Russian fleet move to SZ99?  Can other nations’ ships move into 100?

Any Vichy rules/options/rolling of dice to determine outcome?

Thanks…have it set up and ready to play.

• Hi sjelso. You have asked in HR.  Did you mean to?
    No ships can move in or out of the Black Sea, whilst Turkey is Neutral.

• '17 Customizer

Hi….yes, because this setup puts a few Russian ships in 100 so just checking the strait is still closed in this 1939 v3 setup.

Vichy rules might also be fun/good.

Cheers…SJ

• The Turkish Straits are off limits unless you own Turkey.  Sea units in the Black Sea are stranded there.

Vichy rules are not included in this 1939 setup, bit Vichy would get all its historical territories (all French territories but France, Normandy, Equatorial Africa, and New Herbrides).

If you have any more questions feel free to ask or consult the ruleset.  These additions create many unlikely, but nevertheless possible scenarios that may require explanation but are too numerous to lay out.

• '17 Customizer

Merci!…have your 1939 board set up.  Gonna give it a try!

1939 SetUp - Charles de Gualle.jpg

• Nice Painted pieces. Wheres all the neutrals ?

• '17 Customizer

Thanks…Oh Yeah…will have to put on the neutrals :wink:…waiting for HBG order or will use Axis/Allies/Unpainted units until then. :-D.  Also need a French BB, a German AA, few other minor things.

• @sjelso:

Thanks…Oh Yeah…will have to put on the neutrals :wink:…waiting for HBG order or will use Axis/Allies/Unpainted units until then. :-D.  Also need a French BB, a German AA, few other minor things.

Yes I painted my neutrals flat white from left over inf and naval from a bunch of games.

• '17 Customizer

Thanks for the clarification.

A few more Qs:

1. Persia, Vyorg and  few other spaces are printed either Pro-Allies or Russian.  In the 1939, however, they are Pro-Axis.  You mention that the 1940 map sets the $ collection.  So if Russia occupies Persia, Vyborg, etc, even though they are listed as Pro-Axis, Russia does not get the 3 IPC bonus for occupying Pro-Axis spaces (in war time) because they are printed on the board as Pro-Allies?

2)  Under Vichy “expansion”, French Guinea goes Vichy?

TY…SJ

• When collecting NOs treat the territories as the board represents them.  Russia would not collect +3 for Baltic States or Bessarabia, or Vyborg.

Vichy would get French Guiana, but I should note that we have never tried adding Vichy yet to variant.  To do so would certainly require a tweaked setup and a list of special rules.  Also, since this is 1939, it feels acceptable to pretend that France will never surrender, but rather fight or retreat to Algeria etc.

• I do see quite a few mistakes in your picture, but I am assuming you recognized those or even purposely made them (like the trucks in China instead of artillery.)

I have one good question though:

WHAT is that HUGE battleship sculpt doing smashed on Alaska and British Columbia?!
    :?

• '17 Customizer

Hi,

So we use trucks to count for 3 inf (instead of chips) so that is why you see the trucks in China and elsewhere.  There are some smaller 75 Veld artillery in China too for the art.

I have a few more units to add, mostly neutrals.  If you see any other errors let me know.  I will scan through the set-up again.

Oh yeah…the big BB sitting in Canada is what we use for fleet markers. That is for America (ordered from http://www.panzerschiffe.com/index.html).  It isn’t in play or part of the set-up, just a holding place for it.

SJ

• '17 Customizer

Basic question here.  Are UK/France and Germany at war at the beginning?  Poland has not been invaded yet.

Thanks!…SJ

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m