• I ended up doing some more research and I went with affinity. Thanks for the help Robert and everybody else. I will keep people updated as this moves forward with an actual program

• I am unsure how to convert the file so that I can show you guys all of the progress I have made. I attached here a picture of the middle east so people can see how that ended up. I have finished the majority of the pacific and have also made some good progress on Africa. Africa should be done this week leaving only the Soviet Union, the Americas, and the sea zones.

Middle East.PNG

• I do want to emphasize that this draft of the map is purely for conceptual use. The amount of house rules and additions going into this variant will require a significant amount of play testing. Due to that I don’t want to take the hours needed to make this map all pretty and what not only to find out there are some fundamental flaws.

• I can get a discount on Adobe since I am a student but it is still $240 a year.

Adobe are a bunch of criminals. Buy older CS3, which gives you unlimited time ( never register it). You used to buy something and use it forever, now its total BS where they “lease” a program for one year. Rubbish. CS3 works great

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Imperious:

I can get a discount on Adobe since I am a student but it is still $240 a year.

Adobe are a bunch of criminals. Buy older CS3, which gives you unlimited time ( never register it). You used to buy something and use it forever, now its total BS where they “lease” a program for one year. Rubbish. CS3 works great

I have 20 years with photoshop… yes, started using it in 1999 lol… and each version i upgraded to was basically the same, what really changes are the plug ins, CS3 is the last version I upgraded to, been using it for over a decade now, it is great.

• I already purchased and am using Affinity Designer, a vector program with a one time purchase fee.

• how much?

• It was $49.99

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@bgugs:

It was $49.99

That seems like a decent price tag, although I have no experience with Affinity Designer. But from the looks of it, it’s a nice tool.

• Sponsor

I still have my old laptop with my old Adobe software, so I’m fine for now (although my Laptop is on it’s last legs).

• Affinity seems like a good program. I am sure if I had any sort of technical skills it could do a lot more than I am using it for

• That is true of all software. :-D

I am using CS6 of Illustrator and PS but stopped upgrading the MacOS at OSX.12.

PS is buggy now and I’ve switched to Affinity Photo now.
    Affinity is a direct reaction to the highway robbery of Adobe.
    Quark has upped its game as well to compete with Indesign.

Still only playing with Designer as I work faster in Illustrator. ( started back in 1992)

All in all, Affinity will replace Adobe in the future. It just needs the time to integrate new features.
    Like Adobe did throughout the 90’s and very early 00’s.

Adobe stopped major feature rich updates and lost revenue so they switched to “leasing” and forced people to upgrade/pay.

• @robert:

Affinity is a direct reaction to the highway robbery of Adobe.

With their Affinity product line Serif finally managed to become competitve against Adobe.

I switched from the Creative Cloud Photo subscription  (PS+LR) to Affinity Photo about one year ago.
    I have started with Affinity Designer some months ago. Still much to learn.

With Affinity Publisher they will offer a replacement for Adobe Indesign anytime this year.

• Hadn’t heard of Publisher.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Was going to try to show you guys where I am at through dropbox but it says you cannot preview this type of file. Anybody know how to convert it? This is probably a very simple thing but I am not a technology guy

• @bgugs:

Was going to try to show you guys where I am at through dropbox but it says you cannot preview this type of file. Anybody know how to convert it? This is probably a very simple thing but I am not a technology guy

In Affinity Designer use “File - Export…” to convert your project file (.afdesign) to jpg (to keep filesize small) or png (better quality but larger file).
    You get an image of your project, then.
    Then use an image hoster such as for example https://postimages.org/ to upload this image.

When uploaded, copy-paste the “direct link for forums” they show you after uploading that file into your posting here.

• Thank you for that. Is there a way to make my file smaller? I have it in low quality JPEG but it is still 12.5MB which is .5 to big to upload through that website.

• @bgugs:

Thank you for that. Is there a way to make my file smaller? I have it in low quality JPEG but it is still 12.5MB which is .5 to big to upload through that website.

When converting just reduce the size of the image:

This is how the convert dialogue looks like, mine is in German, but it looks similar in your language.
    The red arrow shows where to adjust the size. Here it is in pixels.

Now change the pixels to a reasonable value.

Keep in mind that monitors usually show 72 / 96 / 120 ppi (pixels per inch), some even more.

Adjust the value in the first field, the value in the second field adjusts automatically (simply klick into the second field), keeping the aspect ratio.

For example an image sized 4800x2400 pixels, would be 50x25 inches on a 96-ppi-monitor.

HTH :-)

• Thank you Panther for all the help. So here is where my map is at now. WARNING if you are going to freak out about names not being geographically correct just save yourself the trouble of looking. I recognize not everything is perfect especially when it comes to the Soviet Union. Both myself and my group aren’t worried about this. As stated before this map is purely for concept use. If everything works out the way we hope it does then I will be spending a lot of time making this map more pretty. At that time I will look into name changes as necessary. If you guys have any feedback that will impact the general concept of the map I am open to those comments. Just not looking for details since that is not the focus right now. I hope you guys enjoy.

• Not working. Can you just use Dropbox and post a file, the image cant be seen except small, too small.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m