Has anyone done this with a vinyl map?

• My printed map has a sheen on it from the reflective qualities of the digital ink at the printers. This makes bad reflections from my windows at certain times of the day. Has anyone tried spraying flat clear enamel paint on their map to get rid of the sheen and make the finish completely flat? If so, what were the results?

• I don’t have any maps of the type you describe, so I can’t really answer your question – but one suggestion I’d have would be for you to get a single small sample map page printed on paper for testing purposes (just one 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet, to save money).  Cut it into strips and try different anti-glare methods on each one.  That way, you won’t have to risk your big expensive vinyl map until you’ve seen how the digital ink looks when it’s covered with the clear enamels you want to try.

If enamels don’t work, see if you can get a small sample of non-glare acrylic sheeting and check to see if it’s of any help.  If it solves the problem with the test strips, then buy a large sheet of the stuff and have it custom-cut to fit your whole map.  The material I use to cover my Global 1940 map is called non-glare Acrylite P-99, originally sized by the manufacturer at 48" x 96" x 1/16" thickness.  The local plastics company from which I bought it cut the sheet to the size I wanted for my gaming table, which is 36" x 96", so they just had to cut a slice from the width because one of the two dimensions was already correct.

• good ideas -thanks!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m