• If UK pacific rolls for research and gets some 6’s, the research is applied to both Europe and Pacific UK?

And the other thing, when doing an amphibious assault and sending in planes to attack from a carrier, do you get to roll for bombardments before the AAA guns fire on the planes? Reads that AAA guns shoot before combat occurs, but bombardments would come before any planes would ever start attacking ground troops, so I would think AAA guns would shoot after a bombardment.

Just looking for clarity.

Thank you!!

• @Strollmasta:

If UK pacific rolls for research and gets some 6’s, the research is applied to both Europe and Pacific UK?

The result is applied to UK as a whole:

@rulebook:

Research and Development
    Either economy can pay all or part of the cost of conducting Research and Development. The results apply to the power as a whole.

@Strollmasta:

And the other thing, when doing an amphibious assault and sending in planes to attack from a carrier, do you get to roll for bombardments before the AAA guns fire on the planes? Reads that AAA guns shoot before combat occurs, but bombardments would come before any planes would ever start attacking ground troops, so I would think AAA guns would shoot after a bombardment.

Those fighters and the defending AAA fire during the Land Combat Step of the Amphibious Assault, that occurs after bombardment:

@rulebook:

Amphibious Assault Sequence
    1. Sea combat
    2. Battleship and cruiser bombardment
    3. Land combat

HTH :-)

• Official Q&A

But remember that bombardment casualties are moved behind the casualty line rather than eliminated immediately, so if a AAA is hit by bombardment it will still get to fire.

• If there is a sea battle then you can’t bombard. Guess it wouldn’t matter much if the aaa gun shoots before the bombardment. But I wanted to make sure I had the ducks in a row. Thanks again!

• SOrry, one more question. Say I amphib assault a territory on my turn and in the sea zone I leave 4 carriers and subs and stuff. Say I’m Germans and later US attacks my ships in that sea zone. While taking hits I decide to tip or even let go of my carriers. Rules state my planes can move one space to find safe landing. Can I land them in the zone I amphib assaulted earlier in the game? I would think so, but the counter part might say you can’t land planes in territory you took over this round. Can’t find anything in the rule book.
    Thanks!!

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Yes you can. The only limitation is that you cannot land your planes in territories you took over in your turn. As this situation occurs outside of your turn, it’s a perfect legal move to land your planes there.

• Has anyone understood why the casualties are allowed to shoot back is a rule when being bombarded with enemy Navy? All the effort having an all clear to Navy Bombard should be a devastating threat to the defender. In real life, you’d die instantly if a direct hit, and the attacker grateful for the Navy to help narrow down the enemy volume.

Braising a round of fire from the enemy including the dead makes the whole bombardment effort even i guess?

BH

• '19 '17 '16

Probably because it’s too big a benefit to have a first strike bombardment. Makes it virtually pointless to put small garrisons on islands.

• @simon33:

Probably because it’s too big a benefit to have a first strike bombardment. Makes it virtually pointless to put small garrisons on islands.

Plus because then if you took out an AA gun as the bombardment hit, you wouldn’t get any AA rolls which is huge, but if you took out your inf( maybe only one) then AA Indra kill anyways

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Agree.  The bombardment would be a pretty cool first strike, but most of the situations where you get a bombardment its a blowout anyway (like when your opponent has no credible defense air sea OR land)    If it were first strike, those flavorful garrisons would be useless without air bases to stop the bombardments.

It could be first strike if it rolled a 1 though…

• '17 '16

@Bravehart:

Has anyone understood why the casualties are allowed to shoot back is a rule when being bombarded with enemy Navy? All the effort having an all clear to Navy Bombard should be a devastating threat to the defender. In real life, you’d die instantly if a direct hit, and the attacker grateful for the Navy to help narrow down the enemy volume.

Braising a round of fire from the enemy including the dead makes the whole bombardment effort even i guess?

BH

I’m far more concerned by the impossibility to backup amphibious landing with Coastal Bombardment if any one blocker is in SZ. Feel very gamey.
    On a six months turn, all your big guns were chasing a few DDs and when you land you provide no cover to your units rushing to the shore!
    CAs and BBs are so combat value weak, a single shorebombardment would not have been OP.

• I remember the fun in classic A&A game where you could build up a huge fleet of battleships, drop off a single infantryman and pound the heck out of the defenses with bombardments.  Oh, those good old days.

The new rules are perfectly fine, IMHO.  There are other games that have far more realism than G40, but this has a good balance of playability and historical accuracy.  Obviously you can have any house rules you want and there are other sections of the forums with hundreds of possibilities.

• '19 '17 '16

I don’t really see the problem with removing ships doing bombardments from the sea combat. That’s the way we used to play on Classic.

• '17 '16

@simon33:

I don’t really see the problem with removing ships doing bombardments from the sea combat. That’s the way we used to play on Classic.

Between Classic and Revised, I use to play with DDs and Cruiser from World War II the expansion.
    In this version, 24 IPCs BB, 2 hits and 13 IPCs Cruiser also get shore bombardment anytime there was an amphibious assault. And it was 1 ShoreB per Inf or tank unloaded.

It cares about giving all units there special ability.
    DDs, Subs, DEs and TPs were playing a totally different game than OOB.
    Even TPs were between and Classic.

• '17 '16

1914 has improved in that aspect.
    Each defending artillery get a preemptive shot at amphibious units.
    Then regular combat start.

Immediately before the combat is resolved, any defending artillery present in the attacked territory can make a pre-emptive strike against all of your offloading land units and fighters as they come ashore.

1914 OOB rules p. 22

It is more than Sub-like surprise strike, because all defending artillery units can roll again in regular combat phase.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m