• Don’t change your game, keep it like it is. I have the map and such, but never played it but really know that if you start tinkering with the rules or imitating G40, the project will become another in the list of “house rules” games.

Leave it alone. Just balance it out by setup changes only if needed.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Imperious:

Don’t change your game, keep it like it is. I have the map and such, but never played it but really know that if you start tinkering with the rules or imitating G40, the project will become another in the list of “house rules” games.

Leave it alone. Just balance it out by setup changes only if needed.

As in don’t bother to simplify? I am not interested in making my own rules per se, but eliminating some which take more time and thought. All I am asking about is simplification not addition or even modification. Maybe I didn’t make that very clear though.

• Simplify is ok, just not in the direction of G40 or any relation to that.

@Imperious:

Simplify is ok, just not in the direction of G40 or any relation to that.

Not to be combative, but isn’t G39 by its nature “in the direction” of G40? I mean, besides some rule and setup adjustments, is not G39 very similar to G40?

• I think its quite different. Of course its’  got area movement and similar turn sequence. Also, the map is entirely different

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

I find Global '39, despite the basic mechanics, to be quite a bit differnent than Global 40. I got fed up with G40 after we got into Alpha 3.whatever. Global 39’s rule issues are mostly those of clarification. We’re not dealing with constant swings to deal with major (perceived) balance issues.

It’s just an opinion, but Global 40 became a mess I did not want to play anymore. I have (not to mention the group I play with) had more fun with Global '39.

Global '39, to me anyway, takes the best from all previous A and A incarnations (including after market stuff like Zeno W@W), adds some original stuff for AandA (like the Axis minors and a d12 mechanic) all on a really, really big, beautiful, so-good-you-wanna-fall-down-and-thank-the-AandA-gods-for-it map.

What’s better yet is that HBG continues to make Global '39 better with optional rules and markers (not that they can’t be used for other AandA variants, but I get the feeling they are more directed to HBG developed games).

To me the most important thing said is that it is more fun. Ultimately that is what I and everyone else wants. I realize everyone’s preferences are different, but if we all generally like A&A, or the basic premise of the game, then it would follow for G39.

I am glad for the advice and insight, but I know I really need to just go try it out. I just did not want the game to get so detailed that it bogged down play and took away the enjoyment of playing with a bunch of people… Or supplanted the simpler thought processes of “should I buy tanks or infantry?” with something much more involved. … I don’t know… Again I thank you guys for all the input, I will just have to try it out.

• As others have said this is an awesome game, but it does take some time to get familiar with it. It isn’t a short game either, and it takes a while to get through the first couple turns (probably more so then G40 the first time). The Germans basically take two turns on G1, because they get that blitzkrieg on both land and sea (see the rules). As the Germans your going to want to think that out to maximize your advantage, plus they also get minor axis powers to control.

The Japanese get a sneak attack to use before turn 8. They can choose three battles that basically makes anyone they aren’t yet a war with defenseless the first round of  battle (USA is at even more of a disadvantage). As Japan you get to make that sneak attack (get a big bonus for doing it), then you get to non combat those units after the battle to get out of harms way, or set-up an attack for the next turn. As Japan your also going to want to take advantage, but it isn’t as easy to pull of as you think if the US is getting close to being able to declare war.

The US & Russia roll dice to determine when they can enter the war which is a very cool system (nothing like G40) so it is different each game. All the neutral countries are in play (not like G40 at all). Some of them become active after certain events, so you need to be well aware regardless what side your playing. Your going to need to read through the rules for these things, post questions, and read again, and then it is still trial & error. We ended up playing 4-5 rounds the first game, then started over once we got a feel for it.

Russia and the US getting to roll for when they can enter the game is compelling, especially since it could significantly change the “normal” course of a game. The unfortunate thing with experienced people playing G40 or any Axis and Allies is that games become predictable and essentially the same as the one before. While the multitude of choices in a game like Global 39 do complicate the game and make it slower, it seems like it would provide enough choices so that not every game is exactly the same.

Ultimately, this is a good trade off to me. Instead of playing 4-5 turns of G40 relatively quickly and being able to project a winner (which is what always happens), I wouldn’t mind fitting only 2 turns of G39 in that same span and having the game nowhere near over.

That is, if you have a couple days to play.

• Sounds  excellent.
    Can only dream, as I do not get to play the regular games enough!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m