• @Imperious:

Thank kreighund. I am not sure why he avoids this forum. its the largest axis and allies forum anywhere in terms of information exchange for AA.

Well, a big Thank You to kreighund. I can see from his posts at AH that he is very knowledgable. He would be welcome here.

@djensen:

Unforntunately, for newly released games, it looks like the Avalon Hill boards have an edge up on this site. Plus, it looks like Larry is posting on AH and not here.

We even have better uptime than AH. I was down once for over a day and I recall AH being down at least twice in the same time period, one of those times was longetr than a day.

But in the end, when all of the hype around the new game dies down the posts will keep coming on this site. I’ve noticed that the older games on the AH site hardly get any traffic at all.

I think it is probably that their website addy is in the rule books that come with the game.  :-)

I think that we get more of the “new guy” questions from players just coming into the games after they’ve been on the shelves for a while. Probably because there is more activity here.

• Question:
    When doing combat how exactly is the defense conducted?
      According to the way I read the rules; The attacker roles and things that are hit enough times are destroyed all other remaing defending units are retreated?

I must not be reading this correctly: example.

if I attack with one infantry against 4 tanks;  I role my die and hit ; nothing is destriyed but they must retreat?

Nothing in the rule book states anything about the defending player being able to roll for defnsive hits.  The rules are only talking about the attacker hits;  nothign else.

Another question

Say I attack in two different direction and this basically sarrounds enemy units. if I also attack the surrounded units in this same turn they have no place to retreat to, this essentially is an auto kill because the rules state if the unit can not retreat due to ZOC then that unit is removed from the game.

Again I must be miss reading the rules.

Thanks

• the defender does nothing. Each player alternates one combat action back and forth.

if they are in ZOC and they have to retreat they are destroyed yes.

• Let’s assume six or less units in the defending hex.

You pull down your combat strips corresponding to the defending units. You roll your attacking dice and (how I do it) pick up all the results over six. Now start putting the dice that are hits in the boxes. Top left going down and then moving over. 1 goes in the first box, 2 in the second etc. When all the dice are placed on the correct “address,” remove one INF, ART or ARM that has two or more dice in its box. Remove one supply token or truck piece for each die that ends up in the appropriate box. Each INF, ART or ARM that has one die in its box must retreat one hex. That hex must not be in an enemy zone of control. If no such hex exsists the unit is removed from the board. Any boxes that do not end up with a die in them represent units that stay in the defending hex.

Units only retreat if their “address” comes up on the combat strip. When there are more than six units you will have to take each die that scored a hit and re-roll them to determine the address.

This combat system is very different from the other A&A games. Primarily only the attacker rolls dice. However the two sides alternate choosing hexes to attack from. The game is very fluid in that respect.

Hope that helps.  :-)

• @frimmel:

Let’s assume six or less units in the defending hex.

Units only retreat if their “address” comes up on the combat strip. When there are more than six units you will have to take each die that scored a hit and re-roll them to determine the address.

This combat system is very different from the other A&A games. Primarily only the attacker rolls dice. However the two sides alternate choosing hexes to attack from. The game is very fluid in that respect.

So to make sure I am understanding this fully.Â

Axis attacks with 3 tanks 
    Allies have 6 inf
    Axis rolls and only get a hit on 2 out of the 6 dice.
    Allies Remove 2 of the 6 Inf ( if the dice rolled are not the same number )
    Allies maintain control of that Hex
    Axis retreat to the Hex they attacked from.

Alternately
    Axis attacks with 7 tanks 
    Allies have 3 inf 2 tanks
    Axis rolls and only get a hit on 4 out of the 14 dice. 2 inf 1 tank destroyed
    Allies Remove 2 inf and 1 tank.
    Allies try to retreat the remaing 1 inf and 1 tank but all adjacent Hexes are boarded by Axis controlled Hexes
    Allied units are then destroyed.

Basically the attacking force has to out number the defending force in order to make them retreat?

Sorry the rules just are very confusing on this point.
    Thanks for the help.

• @frimmel:

However the two sides alternate choosing hexes to attack from. The game is very fluid in that respect.

So it is not that one side does all its attacks first but that if it is the first turn the Axis chooses a hex to attack from and to and that battle is resolved, then the allies choose a battle until niether side can or wants to attack anymore, then it moves to the next phase?

Thanks

• Logarth your example is completely wrong. I don’t have time to elaborate now but you are misunderstanding the combat system.

First thing to do is forget the A&A combat sytem from ALL other games when you play BOTB.  :-)

• First off check this out:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20061110a

Now that is similar to the rule book.

We have a hex with 6 Allied INF in it (the most that can be in any one hex.) This hex will be attacked by 1 INF, 1 ARM and 1 ART.

We pull down the combat strip till we have boxes matching the number of our defending units (which for the INF is all the way out you can only have six.)

We figure the dice we will roll- 1 for the INF, 2 for the ARM and 3 for the ART for six total.

We roll our dice and each result of six or less is a hit. We get 1,2,3,4,5,6. We can think of these as addresses.

So we have six hits. Now we use the results to determine what units will be destoyed, retreat or hold their ground.

Starting in the top left and working our way down we put the dice in the combat strip. In this case each box will have one die. Any unit with one die in its box must retreat one hex. In this case all units must retreat.

Were the results 1,1,2,2,3,3. We would have three boxes with two dice each and 3 boxes with no dice. In this case 3 Units are destroyed and 3 units would remain in the hex. A unit must have at least two dice in order to be destroyed.

Were the results 1,1,1,1,1,1 only one unit would be destroyed. All the other hits go to waste and five units hold their ground.

In all cases the Axis units remain in the hex they attacked from until they are attacked and forced to retreat or moved in the movement phase.

edit: I corrected a minor error that might make folks thinka six didn’t hit. Six or less is a hit.

• @frimmel:

First off check this out:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20061110a

Now that is similar to the rule book.

We have a hex with 6 Allied INF in it (the most that can be in any one hex.) This hex will be attacked by 1 INF, 1 ARM and 1 ART.

We pull down the combat strip till we have boxes matching the number of our defending units (which for the INF is all the way out you can only have six.)

We figure the dice we will roll- 1 for the INF, 2 for the ARM and 3 for the ART for six total.

We roll our dice and each result of less than six is a hit. We get 1,2,3,4,5,6. We can think of these as addresses.

So we have six hits. Now we use the results to determine what units will be destoyed, retreat or hold their ground.

Starting in the top left and working our way down we put the dice in the combat strip. In this case each box will have one die. Any unit with one die in its box must retreat one hex. In this case all units must retreat.

Were the results 1,1,2,2,3,3. We would have three boxes with two dice each and 3 boxes with no dice. In this case 3 Units are destroyed and 3 units would remain in the hex. A unit must have at least two dice in order to be destroyed.

Were the results 1,1,1,1,1,1 only one unit would be destroyed. All the other hits go to waste and five units hold their ground.

In all cases the Axis units remain in the hex they attacked from until they are attacked and forced to retreat or moved in the movement phase.

OK that makes it much clearer then the book states it.

Thank you for your time in helping me understand this.

• Glad to help.

I was going to go thru it with 2 INF, 2 ARM, 2 ART defending.

With those units say we got the 1,1,1,1,1,1 an INF would be destroyed.

If instead we had 6,6,6,6,6,6 an ART would be destroyed.

The 1,1,2,2,3,3, would be 2 INF and 1 ARM destroyed. 3,3,4,4,5,5 would be 1 ARM, 2 ART.

When you have more than six units re-roll the dice that have hit and use those results to determine the “address.” Say 8 units defending and you had a re-roll for address come up 9 it would wrap around and go in the 1 “address.”

Keep in mind that each die that ends up on the Trucks or Supplies “address” destroys a truck or a supply.

Welcome to the site.  :-)

• Revised FAQ is up at the AH boards.

http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=16817

• You can’t use supplies if an enemy unit is in the hex even if the supplies are still on your side of the front line markers.

Per Krieghund here only about half way down the front page of this forum: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26366.0

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Question:

If you blitz a tank out of an enemy zone of control into an open space, which is on a road, then can the tank continue moving along the road for its second movement until it hits a town or another enemy zone of control?

Thanks

@Karl7:

Question:

If you blitz a tank out of an enemy zone of control into an open space, which is on a road, then can the tank continue moving along the road for its second movement until it hits a town or another enemy zone of control?

Thanks

The point of this question relates to a game where the germans were able to blitz tanks out of the allied zone of control and then on the second blitz move, spread out and seize like 4 towns for the win.

Also, the win is automatic right, in that the allies do not get a chance to respond the moment the Germans achieve the victory condition?

• @Karl7:

Question:

Thanks

A blitz allows you only one hex after you would normally be required to stop. Entering a road hex from a non-road hex would cause you to stop during normal movement. If that is your “blitz” move entering the road hex is your one hex more. If the blitz move is starting on the road hex it is still only one more hex. See page 10 of the rulebook.

You may only move one hex when leaving an enemy zone of control.

Victory is determined during the upkeep phase. So both sides get to complete all combat and movement before determining victory.

So if the tank starts in a enemy zone control road hex, pays for a blitz, the the tank can move out of the the enemy zone of control along the road to the open road hex and can then only move 1 more space even though the tank is making its second move on a open road hex?

I guess to put it more simply, a tank can only make unlimited moves on a road if it starts on an open road hex?

thanks

Ok, I went back and read the rule… makes sense to me know.  Blitz only gets you 1 extra move no matter what.

• Yes, the tank must start on a road hex, not in an enemy ZOC to go anywhere it likes on the road.

A tank beginning movement in an enemy zone of control and paying for a blitz move will only move two hexes. One and stop because of leaving enemy ZOC. One and stop because of the blitz. Irregardless of the presence of roads in the hexes.

Also if the road is not crossing the same side of the hex the moving unit is crossing it is not movement along a road.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m