Axis and Allies officially FIRED (for me anyway)

• Hey friends,

Long time AA member here.  Well the time has finally come.  I’m going to be selling my AA sets (AA Global, AA 1914, AA42, AA41- all nearly brand new with tons of extras!!!)  Why? do you say?  Because Memoir 44 has officially (for me anyway) fired AA off my shelf.  AA has given me great memories since I was a kid, but I believe it has run its course.  After 50 plays of Global and about a 12 or so of AA1914 I’m done.

I’ve been playing Memoir 44 for about a year now- got all the expansions etc. and for me it gives me the AA fix I want but the game is much shorter, game system and player allowance is more flexible.  I can play a 30min game or a 5 hour one.  I can play a 2-12 players in various theaters that includes terrain and other details that we don’t see in AA.  I can easily get players for M44 where I virtually need to go to a Con to play Global.  AA41 is too vanilla,  AA42 is very linear as far as strategy, AAGlobal is way too long (12hrs.) and strategy has become linear as well for me, AA1914 was a nice change as far as theme but the mechanics are just getting old.

Its not that I won’t ever play AA again- maybe at a local Con- only maybe though.  If you are new to this game I don’t want to discourage you from it.  It is a great game its just that I’ve grown tired of it and M44 gives me a new fresh perspective for a WW2 game.  Its probably the best system out there.  Anyway I will post a link in the marketplace for my games today so check it later today- it will probably go pretty fast.

• Maybe this thread should be in the “Axis and Allies News” forum ?

• Anyway

funny-animal-bye-bye-445x299.jpg

• It should be in marketplace actullay… If we had a “selfie” section, id put it there.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Traitor…

How much are you “selling out” for?

You don’t deserve to have those games in your possession anymore.

• Customizer

@questioneer:

Hey friends,

Long time AA member here.  Well the time has finally come.  I’m going to be selling my AA sets (AA Global, AA 1914, AA42, AA41- all nearly brand new with tons of extras!!!)  Why? do you say?  Because Memoir 44 has officially (for me anyway) fired AA off my shelf.  AA has given me great memories since I was a kid, but I believe it has run its course.  After 50 plays of Global and about a 12 or so of AA1914 I’m done.Â

I’ve been playing Memoir 44 for about a year now- got all the expansions etc. and for me it gives me the AA fix I want but the game is much shorter, game system and player allowance is more flexible.  I can play a 30min game or a 5 hour one.  I can play a 2-12 players in various theaters that includes terrain and other details that we don’t see in AA.  I can easily get players for M44 where I virtually need to go to a Con to play Global.  AA41 is too vanilla,  AA42 is very linear as far as strategy, AAGlobal is way too long (12hrs.) and strategy has become linear as well for me, AA1914 was a nice change as far as theme but the mechanics are just getting old.Â

Its not that I won’t ever play AA again- maybe at a local Con- only maybe though.  If you are new to this game I don’t want to discourage you from it.  It is a great game its just that I’ve grown tired of it and M44 gives me a new fresh perspective for a WW2 game.  Its probably the best system out there.  Anyway I will post a link in the marketplace for my games today so check it later today- it will probably go pretty fast.

I see your point M44 is a great series and it’s fast to play. I will never give up my collection though. In fact A&A pieces will work well for M44 scenarios in many cases.

It is really hard to get a game in for me too. When I do though, it is so worthwhile.

Right now I only have the base set for M44. However I do see the attraction to M44 just to have some quick WWII action.

If you are going to get rid of your A&A sets on EBay please post a link.

• Garg, I would hardly call myself a traitor.  AA is a classic, but for me the mechanics of the game are outdated and length of the game is a little ridiculous.  M44 really gives me what AA gives me and then some.  Its the same reason I don’t have Twilight Imperium 3…great game, but I rarely ever play it bc of its player and time commitments.

AA has been real…but its time to move on to better games.  Larry has made a great game but if he want to keep it going he simply has to make a better game mechanically instead of rehashing something made 30 years ago.  I appreciate what he has done but whether you admit or not AA has run its course.  Global and AA 1914 was a great closure to the series.  This cow has been milked too long.  Time to make a better WW2 game…so far there is none better than M44.  Believe me it hurts me to say that but it is true.
    :-)

• I’ll put my link up today- you can search it on eBay though if you want to bid now…its under “Axis and Allies SUPER Pack”.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

@questioneer:

I’ll put my link up today- you can search it on eBay though if you want to bid now…its under “Axis and Allies SUPER Pack”.

SOLD

• @questioneer:

rehashing something made 30 years ago.Â

This feels like kicking a dead horse, but if we ditch A&A because it was invented 30 years ago, what about chess, poker, backgammon etc

• M44 does not give you the large world perspective that AA does, so AA will always have a following.

• @coachofmany:

@questioneer:

I’ll put my link up today- you can search it on eBay though if you want to bid now…its under “Axis and Allies SUPER Pack”.

SOLD

Thanks coach of many for buying.  However, he did leave me the maps…anyone interested in 2 sets each of AAE40, AAP40 (both 2nd ed.), AA1914, and 1 set of AA42 (2nd ed) and 1 set of AA1941 maps???

• @Narvik:

@questioneer:

rehashing something made 30 years ago.�

This feels like kicking a dead horse, but if we ditch A&A because it was invented 30 years ago, what about chess, poker, backgammon etc

The games mentioned are timeless classics with a wealth of strategy.  AA has seemed very linear in strategy for many years now- somehow kill Russia and win as Axis.  Allies stop this from happening and they win.  Unless the game is mechanically or dynamically changed in some form it will become a dinosaur.

• @Der:

M44 does not give you the large world perspective that AA does, so AA will always have a following.

True, but I believe M44 gives you more than what you miss in the “broad sweep” of the global conflict.  The tactics, replayability, time commitment, flexibility and the fact that it is seeping with theme all combines for a great experience.  I’ll be honest, when I play M44 over AA I “feel” the tension of the strategy, tactics and theme of being there come together nicely.  In short, to me it just feels more fun!

• I was just lookin to get 40 games but Never had a chance to bid.

• @SS:

I was just lookin to get 40 games but Never had a chance to bid.

You can still get the map,

• Don’t need the maps.

• Sorry, that went fast.  HBG bought them for inventory.  Maps are still available.  PM me if interested.  First come, first serve.

• Thats fine.  :-) I have been gettin pieces from HBG but they are out of some. I just bought 2 new games cheap. Need about 600 pieces for another G39 game.

Still would buy a used Europe 40 and Pacific 40 games at a reasonal price.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m