Wittmann stops the 7th Armour dead at Villers Bocage

• On the 13th June 1944 there was a gap in the German line  between 352ID and PanzerLehr.
    British 7th Armour raced through it with the intention of turning East and hitting Panzer Lehr in flank and approaching Caen from the West.
    On the flank of Panzer Lehr was the newly arrived 101SS Panzer Battalion( on paper 45 Tigers), with 2 of  its 3 now under strength Companies. First to react to 22nd Armoured Brigade’s advance was 2nd Company’s commander, Obersturmfuhrer Michael Wittmann. He had 6 Tigers, but one had track damage and another a problem with the engine. Despite being confronted with many times his number of tanks, about 60, he jumped into the nearest Tiger and had the driver head after them. Leaving the 3 other serviceable Tigers and a Mk IV from Panzer Lehr to hold their ground, he first took on the Regimental HQ section.He disabled the commander’s and his second in command’s tank and the RSM’s . Next he moved on 1st Squadron, which had passed him by. These tanks were waiting on high ground east of the town. Once he had single handedly dispatched them, he calmly moved up the accompanying Infantry Battalion column shooting up every vehicle. Most of the Infantrymen jumped into a ditch, abandoning their vehicles.
    It was only after he returned to Villers Bocage after returning for ammo that an ambush set up by the 2nd Squadron was able to disable his Tiger and the other 4 German tanks.
    Wittmann escaped on foot as the British had no accompanying Infantry to mop up. He even returned later with 15 tanks from Panzer Lehr.
    7th Armour’s advance was stopped dead and the back way to Caen bolted shut. Understandably, most of the plaudits went to Wittmann, though his tank was not the only one engaged at Villers Bocage.
    He was  promoted Hauptsturmfuhrer on the 21st and the swords added to his Knight’s Cross on the 22nd. His total of tanks destroyed now stood at 138 after destroying 21 today.
    He was born in Bavaria in 1914 to farmers and  killed on the 8th August in Normandy.

• Typical spin.

The full strength of 4th CLY is used (60 tanks) even though only 1 Squadron (c 20 tanks) was engaged.
    SS 101 numbers (45) are chipped away to make it sound as if only 4 Tigers were in action when in fact 5 were knocked out.
    The numbers claimed by Wittmann (20+ tanks) is demonstrably at least twice the number of tanks he even saw.
    Wittmann never went anywhere near  ‘1st’  (actually A) Squadron 4th CLY.

I could go on but the whole piece is  completely riddled with errors.

• I am sorry my post or the German record of events bothers you so Lazarus. I have seen no contradiction from British sources, as you would expect if it was all spin.
    21 kills is a large number of kills, but Wittmann was not the only Ace to record large numbers of tank kills. Many knocked out as many as ten tanks in a day on the Eastern front where the Russians would advance onto Grrman defensive positions seemingly with no care for the consequences.
    The English were totally taken by surprise by Wittmann’s appearance and audacity.
    They had parked the tanks, some may even have had crew members out of their tanks when he attacked A Squadron.
    I have no evidence for C Squadron’s position, so it is probable it was further back in reserve.

You mention 5 dead Tigers in the town. I think 6 were destroyed or disabled. The others are from M�bius’ 1st Company(9 operational tanks).The 3rd Company of the 101SS was not engaged. The 3 companies never made a Battalion attack.

I have not read the 4th CLY end of day reports, but i have seen some tank commanders’ reports.  Remember there was fighting all day in Villers Bocage and Wittmann’s 20 minute attack was only the start of it. We know the Germans were punished when they went back in as the British took up defensive positions.
    The fact the town was not captured and the Division and XXX Corps attack was called off suggests the losses in tanks were high enough to render any more offensive action out of the question until loses were made up.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The fact the town was not captured and the Division and XXX Corps attack was called off suggests the losses in tanks were high enough to render any more offensive action out of the question until loses were made up.

Yep.

• @wittmann:

21 kills is a large number of kills, but Wittmann was not the only Ace to record large numbers of tank kills.

Let me put it simply for you. In the area where Wittmann drove down the road there was a total of 9 British tanks. The maximum number of kills he could claim was 9 yet he was awarded 21 kills.  All the other tanks (A Squadron) were out of sight and over a hill.
    How do you explain that?

@wittmann:

The English were totally taken by surprise by Wittmann’s appearance and audacity.
    They had parked the tanks, some may even have had crew members out of their tanks when he attacked A Squadron.

Wittmann never met A Squadron 4th CLY. They were in a postion where Wittmann could not see them and with a hill between them. Tell me again how he engaged A Squadron.

@wittmann:

The town was taken by the British. They held it against the German counter attack and they then withdrew (without any German interference) later in the day.
    The reason Perch was called off was not because of Wittmann. You might want to check out all the fighting going on on June 13 and 14 in and around Villers and elsewhere on the front before making absurd claims a single Tiger stopped an entire Corps attack.

• That’s a really cool story Wittmann, I wondered if the picture in your avatar matched the name you used.

It’s really not that surprising that wittmann would have gotten such a high kill rate as the British seemed to have trouble coordinating infantry and armour operations. I’m reminded of reading Has von Lucks memiors and his actions during the same time period.

• @Clyde85:

I’m reminded of reading Has von Lucks memiors and his actions during the same time period.

That would be the von Luck who claims he  personally saved the day (July18, Goodwood) by forcing an 8.8cm AA Unit to fire on the advancing British tanks .
    Trouble is no one can find out a scrap of evidence that there were any guns there at all. Apart from the claim of von Luck there is not a shred of evidence it happened.

@wittmann:

You might want to reflect that 11th Armoured Division suffered 120 tank casualties on 18/7/44 and was able to continue the attack on both 19 and 20th July and compare that to the 25 tank losses (25 from a Divisional total of 280) you claimed rendered 7th Armoured Division unfit for further action at Villers Bocage.

@Lazarus:

@Clyde85:

I’m reminded of reading Has von Lucks memiors and his actions during the same time period.

That would be the von Luck who claims he  personally saved the day (July18, Goodwood) by forcing an 8.8cm AA Unit to fire on the advancing British tanks .
    Trouble is no one can find out a scrap of evidence that there were any guns there at all. Apart from the claim of von Luck there is not a shred of evidence it happened.

@wittmann:

You might want to reflect that 11th Armoured Division suffered 120 tank casualties on 18/7/44 and was able to continue the attack on both 19 and 20th July and compare that to the 25 tank losses (25 from a Divisional total of 280) you claimed rendered 7th Armoured Division unfit for further action at Villers Bocage.

A word of caution folks… do not be too inclined to believe a guy who dresses up as a half lizard on weekends.

• @Clyde85:

That’s a really cool story Wittmann, I wondered if the picture in your avatar matched the name you used.

It’s really not that surprising that wittmann would have gotten such a high kill rate as the British seemed to have trouble coordinating infantry and armour operations. I’m reminded of reading Has von Lucks memiors and his actions during the same time period.

Thank you Clyde. I love tanks, always have. If I had not chosen a famous German, I would have chosen a Southern US Civil War General as my username, as that is my favourite conflict. Never thought to use my own name!
    Have not read anyone’s memoirs though. I bought Achtung Panzer, but have not read much of it.

• LSSAH was a part of panzer reserve, which included 12th SS Panzer Division “Hitlerjugend” and the Panzer Lehr Division. At that time the command of sSSPzAbt 101 was given to Heinz von Westernhagen (Tiger #007), while the 1st Kompanie was commanded by Hauptsturmfuhrer Mobius. On the June 6th of 1944 (D-Day), Wittmann got a new late production model Tiger I #205. From 6th to 12th June, sSSPzAbt 101 moved to the invasion front in Normandy. On their way, Wittmann’s 2nd Kompanie was reduced to six Tigers by Allied air attacks. Wittmann’s company along with the Panzer Lehr Division and the 12th SS Panzer Division “Hitlerjugend” was part of Heeresgruppe under the command of Erwin Rommel. On June 13th, the battle began near Bayeux area. At the time Wittmann’s company was near Villiers-Bocage, at the south of Tilly-sur-Seulles (Caen area). On June 13th of 1944, Wittmann’s company destroyed entire 4th County of London Yeomanry Regiment travelling on the road No.175 to Villers-Bocage, at the Hill No.213.

“Wittmann in Villers Bocage”

On 13th June 1944, a week after D-day, following a drive from Beauvais under repeated air attack, 2nd Kompanie of sSSPzAbt 101 led by Michael Wittmann had 6 Tigers located in the area of Hill (Point) 213 ahove Villers Bocage.

His orders were to stop the advance of the 22nd Armored Brigade of the British 7th Armored Division (the famous ‘Desert Rats’) from advancing through the township, outflanking the German line and gaining the road to Caen. Wittmann’s company hidden behind a hedgerow spotted the enemy column, which passed him at a distance of 200 meters.

At about 8:00am, Wittmann attacked the British column on the main road, while the rest of his company (4 Tigers as one brokedown) attacked the British forces around Hill 213.

Soon after, Wittmann destroyed Sherman Firefly and Cromwell IV and headed south to attack the rest of the enemy transport column. After knocking out 8 half-tracks, 4 Bren Carriers and 2 6 pdr anti-tank guns, Wittmann reached the crossroad with the road to Tilly-sur-Seulles.

At the crossroad, he destroyed 3 Stuart tanks from recon unit and reached the outskirts of the town of Villers-Bocage. While in town, Wittmann destroyed 4 Cromwell IV tanks and single half-track and turns into Rue Pasteur. Following up the street, he knocked out Cromwell IV and Sherman OP tank, reaching the main street of Villers-Bocage. At the end of Rue Pasteur, Wittmann’s Tiger was hit by Sherman Firefly from B Squadron and he decided to turn back as being too far forward without any infantry support and in a build-up area.

He turned in the direction of Caen to join the rest of his company. On his way back, Wittmann’s Tiger was attacked by another Cromwell IV, which he destroyed as well. Back at the Tilly crossroad, British soldiers from 1st Rifle Brigade opened fire at Wittmann with their 6 pdr anti-tank gun, immobilizing his Tiger. Wittmann and his crew managed to escape on foot towards the Panzer Lehr positions 7km away near Orbois. The rest of his company at the Hill 213, destroyed the rest of the A Squadron of 4th County of London Yeomanry Regiment (“Sharpshooters”) including 5 Cromwell IV and Sherman Firefly, while capturing 30 men. During this short engagement, Wittmann’s company destroyed 4 Sherman Firefly, 20 Cromwell, 3 Stuart, 3 M4 Sherman OP, 14 half-tracks, 16 Bren Carriers and 2 6 pdr anti-tank guns. Wittmann’s attack was followed by another one by Tigers of Hauptsturmfuehrer Rolf Moebius’ 1st Kompanie of sSSPzAbt 101 and Panzerkampfwagen IV tanks from Panzer Lehr but was repulsed by anti-tank guns from 22nd Armored Brigade. Following day, British withdrew from the town leaving it to the Germans, who occupied it for next two months. The British drive on Villers Bocage and Caen was stopped cold by Wittmann’s attack and following actions.

FROM “ACHTUNG PANZER” allready translated (this saved my job)
    I higlighted some lines!

• We know that both sides took out the best part of it (Villers Bocage), but it is sure and true that Wittmann started a single action and knocked out a few Tanks, carriers etc. and stopped in a certain way the British attempt, it will also be true that he escaped and brought back Reinforcements leading them himself.

For now as far as we know it was a one time Single action deal and M. Wittmann deserves his portion of credits!

And as far as I looked it up in all sources I found ,there is not much of a diffrence in that story.
    Let us not debate on numbers and scrapped metal!

• Thank you for your time Aequitas.
    I knew I should have finished Achtung Panzer!

I must say that despite having read two reports from British officers from CLY from June 13th describing  the events, neither were from A Squadron, so I cannot pinpoint from my sources how many A Squadron tanks Wittmann personally destroyed. His 2nd Company did wipe out the balance of them after his engaging them.

• @wittmann:

I love tanks, always have. If I had not chosen a famous German, I would have chosen a Southern US Civil War General as my username, as that is my favourite conflict. Never thought to use my own name!

Here’s a Civil War / WWII connection you may find interesting.  In the Ken Burns documentary The Civil War, Shelby Foote refers to the fact that, in the movie Patton, George C. Scott (as Patton) says “We Americans have never lost a war”.  Foote comments that this is an extraordinary statement for him to make because Patton’s grandfather served in Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia “and he certainly lost a war.”

• The South is still fighting the war.
    Shelby Foote should know that.

I always forget which Virginia  regiment his grandfather commanded. Have looked it up. Was the 22nd. (Wasn’t even close in my guess.)
    Grr!

• @wittmann:

I cannot pinpoint from my sources how many A Squadron tanks Wittmann personally destroyed

Possibly one (Sherman Firefly ‘Blondie’)but that was it.

@wittmann:

so I cannot pinpoint from my sources how many A Squadron tanks Wittmann personally destroyed. His 2nd Company did wipe out the balance of them after his engaging them.

Their is no dispute most of the Cromwells and 4 Firefly tanks in A Squadron were lost but it is also a fact only 3 were engaged and penetrated by Tigers (2 Firefly and 1 Cromwell) because the majority (circa 15-20 tanks) were simply abandoned and/or set on fire by the crews.

• @aequitas:

On June 13th of 1944, Wittmann�s company destroyed entire 4th County of London Yeomanry Regiment travelling on the road No.175 to Villers-Bocage, at the Hill No.213.

No he did not.

4th County Of London Yeomanry consisted of:
    RHQ Troop     4 Tanks
    Recce troop   11 Stuart tanks
    AA Troop       4 Tanks
    A Squadron    20 tanks
    B Squadron    20 tanks
    C Squadron    20 tanks

Attached to HQ Troop were 4 Artillery Observation tanks
    In all some 83 tanks.

Wittmann engaged at most 2 Stuarts from Recce Troop, 4 RHQ tanks and 2 OP tanks and possibly the rearmost A Squadron Firefly.
    9 Tanks in total

4th CLY lost 25 tanks from the original 83 so any claim Wittmann (or anyone) 'wiped out ’ the whole Regiment is absurd

@aequitas:

The whole account is riddled with errors. Find a better source. Wiki is much more accurate.

@Lazarus:

@aequitas:

On June 13th of 1944, Wittmann�s company destroyed entire 4th County of London Yeomanry Regiment travelling on the road No.175 to Villers-Bocage, at the Hill No.213.

No he did not.

4th County Of London Yeomanry consisted of:
    RHQ Troop     4 Tanks
    Recce troop   11 Stuart tanks
    AA Troop       4 Tanks
    A Squadron    20 tanks
    B Squadron    20 tanks
    C Squadron    20 tanks

Attached to HQ Troop were 4 Artillery Observation tanks
    In all some 83 tanks.

Wittmann engaged at most 2 Stuarts from Recce Troop, 4 RHQ tanks and 2 OP tanks and possibly the rearmost A Squadron Firefly.
    11 Tanks in total

4th CLY lost 25 tanks from the original 83 so any claim Wittmann (or anyone) 'wiped out ’ the whole Regiment is absurd

@aequitas:

The whole account is riddled with errors. Find a better source. Wiki is much more accurate.

What’s your source Dr. Lazarus?

• @Gargantua:

Gar, it’s called having an imagination, duh! Don’t you remember having one of those?

• @Gargantua:

Simple geography. The position of every tank wreck is known as is the route Wittmann took into the town.
    Wittmann could not possibly knock out any more than the 9 tanks on that road  that  came into his direct sight.
    Between Wittmann and A Squadron there was a large hill (pt 213) so they never came into contact.

@Lazarus:

@Gargantua:

Simple geography. The position of every tank wreck is known as is the route Wittmann took into the town.
    Wittmann could not possibly knock out any more than the 9 tanks on that road  that  came into his direct sight.
    Between Wittmann and A Squadron there was a large hill (pt 213) so they never came into contact.

Based on what Book? Historian? Web-site? or other?

I’d like to review the material.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m