The Lyndon Johnson tapes: Richard Nixon's 'treason'

• '12

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21768668

Declassified tapes of President Lyndon Johnson’s telephone calls provide a fresh insight into his world. Among the revelations - he planned a dramatic entry into the 1968 Democratic Convention to re-join the presidential race. And he caught Richard Nixon sabotaging the Vietnam peace talks… but said nothing.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Nixon was a hero.  I don’t believe any of this ‘revisionism’ lOl…

• This is not political. No way  :roll:

This is ‘historical’ not political friend. ;)

• '12

History is history.  When history offends an individuals point of view then it is that individuals problem.  History should never be censored to support a personal opinion.  That opinion of course is nothing this author can say is non-political and that the so called offended individual is trolling the forums looking for this authors posts in which to launch trolling posts.  Quite sad actually.  If my posts are so offensive to this individual then perhaps that person ought to just ignore threads created by me.  It seems most of the spats here occur in MY FORUM threads between this individual and myself and Garg and that same individual.

Garg, I agree, Nixon was a hero in many respects.  Sadly, he stove too hard to be president and it caused him to make some rather poor choices.  But then again I don’t have a master’s degree in history so what do I know.  :roll:

• MC…it seems your always complaining. Talking about ex presidents either good or bad is both Political and History.

Heck you could make an Obama thread and talk about what he did last week, and call it History?

• I would like to think this is history.
    It is 40 years ago and most of the characters are dead.
    I like remembering the dead.

• '12

MC…it seems your always complaining.

IL, for a guy with a master’s degree I would expect you to know to use you’re not your when making false accusations about me.  But then again with your Master’s Degree from Stanford you believed you were taught that Hannibal was born in Turkey.  Wrong then and wrong now.

OK, IL, you made your statement that talking about a historical president is both talking about history and talking about politics.  What is your point?  It seems to me that you troll the forums looking for posts by myself in order to insert you dislike for me into MY threads.

IL, if you feel that I have violated policy here then complain to a moderator about my posts but please ply your troll baiting antics in somebody else’s thread.

• IL, for a guy with a master’s degree I would expect you to know to use you’re not your when making false accusations about me.  But then again with your Master’s Degree from Stanford you believed you were taught that Hannibal was born in Turkey.  Wrong then and wrong now.

OK, IL, you made your statement that talking about a historical president is both talking about history and talking about politics.  What is your point?  It seems to me that you troll the forums looking for posts by myself in order to insert you dislike for me into MY threads.

IL, if you feel that I have violated policy here then complain to a moderator about my posts but please ply your troll baiting antics in somebody else’s thread

Oh please don’t troll in yet another thread and hijack this thread. You sure have a habit of this both here and on You Tube. And you also have a bad habit of replying to me with some “above the fray” rhetoric. I know very clearly what i can do or not. I am just pointing out that talking about a politician ( regardless of he he dead or not) is clearly a thread on politics among other things.

One day perhaps soon you might just let my comments go, they are not trolling like your post. Proof is how you bring up Hannibal again, because you lost that one and can’t let it down. Trying to bring up losing arguments you made before is classic trolling. And this isn’t a thread about Stanford or Hannibal either.

Get a grip.

• I read this article. Kinda scary. I found it interesting that Anna Chenault, wife of the famous Flying Tigers commander, was the go between.

• '12

Anna Chenault was the wife of the Flying Tigers commander?  Really?  I didn’t know that or missed that in the article.  Interesting……

IL,

Adolf Hitler was a politician; So was Stalin.

I’ve seen you comment on each of them many times…  by your latest definition, are those not politically motivated posts?

• Before you starting posting, it was a climate of having a number of Liberal and Conservative people arguing only from that frame of reference. They are mostly gone from these forums, but in that time numerous arguments occurred and only because it was a republican-democrat fight of ideas. The politicians of WW2 and WW1 are exempt because in many cases they are also running the war and are part of WW2 History.

Nixon is often vilified by Liberals/Democrats and posting about him is political, especially due to the reference of bringing up LBJ and Nixon’s actions before he resigned.

What typically happens, is when people identify themselves as Pro Republican or Pro Democrat it begins a dialogue of political discourse marred by incessant arguing. This led to the ban on political commentary on this site.

The vast majority of posters here are American BTW. I happen to like Nixon alot ( not as much as Teddy Roosevelt) But i know we can’t post about them ( even if they are dead or alive)

@Imperious:

Before you starting posting,

lololololololololol…  breathes

lololololololololol…

@Imperious:

Before you starting posting, it was a climate of having a number of Liberal and Conservative people arguing only from that frame of reference. They are mostly gone from these forums, but in that time numerous arguments occurred and only because it was a republican-democrat fight of ideas. The politicians of WW2 and WW1 are exempt because in many cases they are also running the war and are part of WW2 History.

Nixon is often vilified by Liberals/Democrats and posting about him is political, especially due to the reference of bringing up LBJ and Nixon’s actions before he resigned.

What typically happens, is when people identify themselves as Pro Republican or Pro Democrat it begins a dialogue of political discourse marred by incessant arguing. This led to the ban on political commentary on this site.

The vast majority of posters here are American BTW. I happen to like Nixon alot ( not as much as Teddy Roosevelt) But i know we can’t post about them ( even if they are dead or alive)

Fair comments, deserve a fair response.

I find that I do not disagree with you!

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Anna Chenault was the wife of the Flying Tigers commander?  Really?  I didn’t know that or missed that in the article.  Interesting……

Yeah I recently finished a biography on Chenault and was surprised when I saw her name in the article.

As far as the politics/history concern, I would say this article is historical. The events occurred 45 years ago. All the figures are deceased (I believe maybe Anna Chenault is alive. Too lazy to google. Wow that is pathetic Ha)

Anyway I would think an issue would have to be more current to be considered political. It doesnt matter if you are left or right wing you aren’t influencing the events of 1968.

• '12

Before you starting posting, it was a climate of having a number of Liberal and Conservative people arguing only from that frame of reference. They are mostly gone from these forums, but in that time numerous arguments occurred and only because it was a republican-democrat fight of ideas.

but in that time numerous arguments occurred and only because it was a republican-democrat fight of ideas.

I am neither a republican or democrat, I am a Canadian and I don’t give a flying !@#$%@#$% who runs your country IL.  If anybody is injecting politics into MY THREAD it is YOU IL. Either talk about the subject or don’t post in MY THREAD.

They are mostly gone from these forums

IL, you say they are mostly gone.  Well if that is the case then why are you entering into MY THREAD going on about things that no longer occur?

IL, you are not a moderator.  It is NOT YOUR JOB to harasses members.  Again, if you feel I am violating the spirit of this site then I encourage you to file a complaint.  Actually, I think I will.

Now, back to my thread before it was hijacked by political accusations….

Last Jack, thanks for your comments, I would never have known about the Anna Chenault/flying tigers connection.  I’m pleased that it was not something that I missed in the article but rather your more in depth knowledge on that facet of the story and drawing the connection for others.

• I am neither a republican or democrat, I am a Canadian and I don’t give a flying !@#$%@#$% who runs your country IL.  If anybody is injecting politics into MY THREAD it is YOU IL.  I ask you to stop posting in my threads as you only seem to be trolling.  Either talk about the subject or don’t post in MY THREAD.

They are mostly gone from these forums
    IL, you say they are mostly gone.  Well if that is the case then why are you entering into MY THREAD going on about things that no longer occur?

IL, you are not a moderator.  It is NOT YOUR JOB to harasses members.  Again, if you feel I am violating the spirit of this site then I encourage you to file a complaint.  Actually, I think I will.

Now, back to my thread before it was hijacked by political accusations….

All i said is this is political. It is you and you alone who continues to hijack this thread by overly responding to my commentary. I know it may be hard for you to understand, but my comments are not about you, but rather this thread and too me they are accurate.

Of course you take this personally because that’s what YOU do. Please stop responding to me and act at least like a normal poster. I was responding to Gargantua, not you.

Get a grip.

• '12

You are responding to this thread….this thread is created by me.  You IL in fact were the first person to post in this thread so how can you be claiming to be responding to Garg when you were the very first poster complaining that this thread was political?  This is MY thread, MY topic. Do me a favour IL, if you see a thread created by me, just don’t post in it or stay on topic if you just can’t resist posting in my forum topic threads because you can’t resist me for some reason.  I have asked the moderators to ask you to do the same thing.  We have a negative history and we should just avoid each other.

• You are responding to this thread….this thread is created by me.  You IL in fact were the first person to post in this thread so how can you be claiming to be responding to Garg when you were the very first poster complaining that this thread was political?  This is MY thread, MY topic.  Screw off and leave me and my thread alone.  Do me a favour IL, if you see a thread created by me, just don’t post in it or stay on topic if you just can’t resist posting in my forum topic threads because you can’t resist me for some reason.  I have asked the moderators to ask you to do the same thing.  We have a negative history and we should just avoid each other.

Please stop complaining. When you own the site you can make up the rules. I don’t give a rats if it is a thread made by you or not. If the thread is political i will say so and i will comment as i see fit.

I never did anything except point out it this thread is political, and that is my opinion.

You tend to blow up my words however innocuous and make them into something more. This is not a good idea. I know it may be difficult for you, but a thread created by you is only that: a thread created by you. If you wanted to make it private, you might consider emailing to friends. In a public forum, anybody can post.

I wish you would drop it. It would never have gone past a first post without you constantly posting this gibberish.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m