WW2 Tank found in pensioner's cellar

• Found this.
    I would be pissed off and want it back too!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-33381772

• Customizer

That would be so cool to have a complete Panther tank. I wonder if it still runs. The article said he was driving it around 30 years ago.
    That 88 was pretty cool too.
    I wonder how he got ahold of these.
    I think he should be allowed to keep them too as long as the weapons aren’t functional.

• I wonder what happened to the tracks. Maybe he swapped them for the 88!
    Fancy driving it. Where did he learn?

• @knp7765:

That would be so cool to have a complete Panther tank. I wonder if it still runs. The article said he was driving it around 30 years ago.
    That 88 was pretty cool too.
    I wonder how he got ahold of these.
    I think he should be allowed to keep them too as long as the weapons aren’t functional.

Hey knp,
    No he can’t Keep it for now. Der Tagesspiegel said that the Tank PV was not fully functional and that he got the Tank from England.
    By German law he is not allowed to hold/keep it. There are certain criterias wich need to be proofed now.
    So they will check now how big he went against the German law.
    The Tank looked in good condition and I wonder what he went through.
    The 88 looked a Little funny because of the Barrel it had, but it could be the angle of the pic wich leeds to missinterpretation.

Nice found Witt. :-)

• Sponsor

…and I thought my basement was cool  :|

• Thanks for explaining Aequitas. The Panther was from England? Interesting.

YG: I, too, thought: how big is his cellar! I wonder if when he had his friends over for a game of Global and he started to lose, if he would go and sulkily sit in it.
    If you want me, I am in my tank.

• His basement is two stories deep they said.
    Yeah YG you may wanna upgrade your Csb with a M4A1E Jumbo.
    They you’ll get my vote again.
    Just top this dude.
    No YG your bunker is cooler!
    Who knows what he was up to?

• Sponsor

@wittmann:

Thanks for explaining Aequitas. The Panther was from England? Interesting.

YG: I, too, thought: how big is his cellar! I wonder if when he had his friends over for a game of Global and he started to lose, if he would go and sulkily sit in it.
    If you want me, I am in my tank.

Ya! if he loses he might say “I’m taking my tank and going home!”

• That’s quite a news item.  Reminds me a bit of a Keith Laumer short story  (I think it’s called A Relic of War) set in a small frontier town on an out-of-the-way planet that humans have colonized, where a Concordiat military official arrives to check out rumours that the town possesses an old Bolo Combat Unit robotic super-tank (a leftover from a war fought by humans against an alien race called the Axorc) which the Concordiat government forgot to salvage after the war.  The local people regard the Bolo – whose A.I. still functions at a rudimentary level – as the town mascot and resent the presence of this arrogant-seeming interloper who wants to fry the tank’s A.I. circuitry to render it completely harmless.  They change their minds, however, when something happens to reactivate the Bolo’s combat-motivation circuitry and the tank charges off into battle.

• Let the man have his Panther tank! What a collection!!!

• @ABWorsham:

Let the man have his Panther tank! What a collection!!!

Sure ABWorsham go for it.
    The German Bundeswehr took 2 and a half day to get it loaded on a truck  :-o :roll:.
    We will stop your time. :-D :-D

• This story brings out my charitable side. I would like to assume the burden of storing these pieces free of charge to all parties involved. I would be willing to provide safe storage of these pieces indefinitely. If need be I would even cover the financial cost, of having the proper documentation drawn up, to tranfer ownership to me. In his advanced years the owner shouldn’t have to deal with the strain of fighting the government. My charitable act would also save the German tax payers money.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m