Opening the door for more World War One based games? Your opinion

• Viet nam war could be made into a fun game, with helicopter rules or something like that.  The US would have superior military, but fewer units- maybe some kind of home morale system affected by US troop losses?  Would the Vietnamese/Chinese have human wave tactics?  Perhaps you could change history and fight the war like it was a war and not a police action.

It would be hard to model a war in which the US forces never lost a significant battle, but was still forced to stop fighting.

I still would like a Napoleonic war based A&A with North America as a sideshow.

• Have you seen War and Peace by Worthington Games? The price is a little steep and it doesn’t include North America, but it’s a A&A clone.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/120547/war-and-peace

• @wove100:

Have you seen War and Peace by Worthington Games? The price is a little steep and it doesn’t include North America, but it’s a A&A clone.

Looks interesting, but very few territories for maneuver.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@BJCard:

Viet nam war could be made into a fun game, with helicopter rules or something like that.  The US would have superior military, but fewer units- maybe some kind of home morale system affected by US troop losses?  Would the Vietnamese/Chinese have human wave tactics?  Perhaps you could change history and fight the war like it was a war and not a police action.Â

It would be hard to model a war in which the US forces never lost a significant battle, but was still forced to stop fighting.

I don’t know if I’d call this a “major” engagement, but it is a significant battle the U.S. lost in Vietnam!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ong_Thanh

• @Gargantua:

@BJCard:

Viet nam war could be made into a fun game, with helicopter rules or something like that.�  The US would have superior military, but fewer units- maybe some kind of home morale system affected by US troop losses?�  Would the Vietnamese/Chinese have human wave tactics?�  Perhaps you could change history and fight the war like it was a war and not a police action.�

I don’t know if I’d call this a “major” engagement, but it is a significant battle the U.S. lost in Vietnam!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ong_Thanh

Well, that certainly was a small engagement, but it doesn’t disprove my point that it would be a difficult war to manage in an A&A game.

• @BJCard:

@wove100:

Have you seen War and Peace by Worthington Games? The price is a little steep and it doesn’t include North America, but it’s a A&A clone.

Looks interesting, but very few territories for maneuver.

I looked too Wove, thank you.
    I have got very interested in the Napoleonic struggle since the Total War franchise brought out Napoleon(maybe 3 years ago now). I also like the AAA Napoleon game.

• Customizer

@BJCard:

Viet nam war could be made into a fun game, with helicopter rules or something like that.� The US would have superior military, but fewer units- maybe some kind of home morale system affected by US troop losses?� Would the Vietnamese/Chinese have human wave tactics?� Perhaps you could change history and fight the war like it was a war and not a police action.�

I have a scenario I’m working on for Vietnam. It involves helicopter landings, infiltrating Vietnamese troops, and terrain difficulties. I have the map and rules pretty well done, just need to playtest it and refine the rules a bit. Also need to figure out victory conditions (probably use a morale system like you mentioned). I’d be happy to post it on this board if anyone’s interested (would that go in “House Rules,” or “Modifications?”).

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Just make it a ‘hearts and minds’ game! With the bulk of forces being neutral units that begin to sway this way or that!

Irregardless… a VERY difficult concept for A&A.

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

Shogun is a considerable seller without the U.S. in it.

Isn’t Richard Chamberlain American? It wouldn’t have got made without an American playing then hero.

• @Flashman:

@Gargantua:

Shogun is a considerable seller without the U.S. in it.

Isn’t Richard Chamberlain American? It wouldn’t have got made without an American playing then hero.

He is, but plays an Englishman… ;)

• Customizer

With an American accent. Like Kevin Costner in Robin Hood.

Its getting to the stage than British actors who want to play heroes will have to do American accents. If American actors could learn British actors they’d get to play villains, which is more fun.

• I like it when British play German officers in American movies……like Star Wars.

• Customizer

Star Wars was made in Britain.

Tom Cruise played a German officer. But he tried to blow up Hitler, so that’s all right then.

Oh, and so did William Shatner. But he’s Canadian, so that’s all right.

So did Spock, but that’s OK 'cause he’s a green skinned freak.

Anthony Hopkins played an American President, but don’t worry; it was a crooked President so there’s no harm done.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@JonnieMav:

What about a set of older games? 7 Years War, Napoleonic War, US Civil War? Each board game would have a different market, with the 7 years war being the most ‘global’ of the 3. I cant imagine the US would want to see a Napoleanic War any more than Europe would be interested in a US Civil War. Maybe an game for the Asian market also but my knowledge of vast Asian conflicts is sadly lacking. Moving further into the past (which to a certain extent includes WWI) will only make the games more and more regional, so a set to cater for all markets.
    All 3 conflicts listed here however, were fought over vast areas and could have good strategic possibilities, and all 3 could use ‘similar’ styles considering the the methods of warfare probably changed less between mid-1700’s and mid-1800s than they did between 1914 and 1945.

Seven Years War would be a lot of fun, and could be split 1940 Global style with detailed European & North American/Caribbean boards. Unfortunately, India is too remote to fit, though maybe it could fit on the edge of the Europe board for a few skirmishes. Could have an interesting dynamic of enlisting support of native tribes in North America.

• Customizer

Medieval would be my choice, as its my home ground historically.

A Game of Thrones would throw up possibilities, but that would be outside Wizard’s range.  Hate the officially licensed game.

• Customizer

@ossel:

@BJCard:

Viet nam war could be made into a fun game, with helicopter rules or something like that.� The US would have superior military, but fewer units- maybe some kind of home morale system affected by US troop losses?� Would the Vietnamese/Chinese have human wave tactics?� Perhaps you could change history and fight the war like it was a war and not a police action.�

I have a scenario I’m working on for Vietnam. It involves helicopter landings, infiltrating Vietnamese troops, and terrain difficulties. I have the map and rules pretty well done, just need to playtest it and refine the rules a bit. Also need to figure out victory conditions (probably use a morale system like you mentioned). I’d be happy to post it on this board if anyone’s interested (would that go in “House Rules,” or “Modifications?”).

FYI Guys, I’ve just posted my Vietnam ruleset and map over in “Other Variants”: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30166.0

Those of you who are interested, let me know what you think.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m