Hitler plays A&A Spring 1942, 2nd Edition

• @Hobbes:

Just uploaded the final version, a few changes to the script on the feedback (mech inf got dropped, few people get the joke). Thanks :)

ROFL!

Aaaw, Hitler looks so sad at the end! I almost feel bad for him. “I just wanted the Tigers…”  =(

• I sympathise. It’s more than just a game!

• @MistuhJay:

Aaaw, Hitler looks so sad at the end! I almost feel bad for him. “I just wanted the Tigers…”  =(

Hitler was a person. He died horribly, seeing all his dreams crushed, a broken, despondent, and despair-filled man. It’s normal to empathize with anyone in that situation, part of what makes us human. I feel bad for the decisions he made to put himself and the whole world in that situation.

• Wonder how history would have unfolded if Hitler had been accepted into art school as a young man as was his original dream.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

I heard somewhere that his Mom walked in on him as he was trying to hang himself In his room when he was 16.  I don’t know, probably false or he was doing his best David Carradine impersonation.

• @Der:

Wonder how history would have unfolded if Hitler had been accepted into art school as a young man as was his original dream.

Interesting discussion, but better to keep those speculations off this topic since they get political quite easily.

On the original version Hitler is ranting about his generals and calling them ‘traitors’ and declares that the war is lost so it’s much more darker than this version and at the end you see someone who keeps blaming the military for losing the war while at the same time still sees himself as a strategy genius who never made any mistake… kinda ironic and harder to sympathize there.
    On this one is definitely easier to emphasize with him, I kinda noticed that when I was putting it together, but it’s natural since those are all questions that affect A&A players.

• TripleA

lol, I just miss the days where I could power slam all my units and victory rush like a madman.

• @UrJohn:

@MistuhJay:

Aaaw, Hitler looks so sad at the end! I almost feel bad for him. "I just wanted the Tigers…"  =(

Hitler was a person. He died horribly, seeing all his dreams crushed, a broken, despondent, and despair-filled man. It’s normal to empathize with anyone in that situation, part of what makes us human. I feel bad for the decisions he made to put himself and the whole world in that situation.

AND 1942.2 didn’t even come with Tigers.  Le sigh.

• I was watching the rest of the original movie and decided to add a new 3 min scene at the beginning with footage of the strategy discussion…

Here’s the new link

• Crud, the new version won’t load on my phone (“restricted content?”). I’ll have to check it out tomorrow.

• They’ve blocked it - it says:

“This video contains content from geotv and Constantin Film, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
    Sorry about that.”

Did this right when I got two of my friends to sit down and watch…:(

• @Der:

They’ve blocked it - it says:

“This video contains content from geotv and Constantin Film, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
    Sorry about that.”

Did this right when I got two of my friends to sit down and watch…:(

Sorry, I think the problem may be the background music since they didn’t block the movie before. I’ll remove it and try uploading it again.

Yup, should fix the problem. The use of the movie scene is considered fair use under copyright law, so that shouldn’t be the issue.

Here’s the link

• “THE PROBLEM WAS THE DICE!!”

While it has it’s moments, the beginning feels like it drags more often than not…  =/

• LOL

• '17 '16

I back it up amongst first threads.
    It provides a really good laugh and this is a 6 min 50s.
    An extended version compared to all other shorter ones.
    Hobbes wrote very a creative dialogue to describe the new edition.
    Hope you will like it too.
    Hitler plays Axis and Allies Spring 1942 2nd Ed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ksL3AhXmk

The forum miss this guy posts and comments.

• '17 '16 '15

Funny stuff! I like the one where Japan loses their AC’s!

• Very funny indeed Hobbes. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with Hitler about the cardboard factories - so if anyone knows where I can get some plastic ones I’d love to know. Did search on line a while back with no luck.

Downfall is a great film and Bruno Ganz gives a marvellous central performance. You see both the humanity and the monstrosity of Hitler. I agree with comments elsewhere that it is important to see both. It’s too easy to write him off as a one dimensional monster. Not sure that engenders much sympathy in me though.

I seem to have contributed a serious answer to what began as a humorous thread. Sorry!

• @Baron:

The forum miss this guy posts and comments.

I’m still lurking around, I just haven’t gotten back to A&A :)

@Private:

Downfall is a great film and Bruno Ganz gives a marvellous central performance. You see both the humanity and the monstrosity of Hitler. I agree with comments elsewhere that it is important to see both. It’s too easy to write him off as a one dimensional monster. Not sure that engenders much sympathy in me though.

I seem to have contributed a serious answer to what began as a humorous thread. Sorry!

Writing Hitler off as a one dimensional monster is ignoring how ordinary people can commit atrocities, the same way that neo Nazis conveniently ignore his flaws and crimes. We should always remember that Hitler was a human being, imperfect and flawed but also responsible for his actions, like the rest of us.

• @Hobbes:

Writing Hitler off as a one dimensional monster is ignoring how ordinary people can commit atrocities, the same way that neo Nazis conveniently ignore his flaws and crimes. We should always remember that Hitler was a human being, imperfect and flawed but also responsible for his actions, like the rest of us.

Yes, this is a good point which was nicely made in the verdict deliverd by Spencer Tracy’s character in the 1961 movie Judgment at Nuremberg: “Janning’s record and his fate illuminate the most shattering truth that has emerged from this trial. If he and the other defendants were all depraved perverts - if the leaders of the Third Reich were sadistic monsters and maniacs - these events would have no more moral significance than an earthquake or other natural catastrophes. But this trial has shown that under the stress of a national crisis, men - even able and extraordinary men - can delude themselves into the commission of crimes and atrocities so vast and heinous as to stagger the imagination.”  Hannah Arendt’s comment about “the banality of evil”, which she made in connection with the Eichmann trial, makes a similar point; likewise, it’s been noted (I can’t recall if it was by her or by someone else) that some of the people who were involved at the rank-and-file level in the genocide machinery of Nazi Germany were ordinary clerks and bureaucrats – which is not the image that usually comes to mind when one thinks of war criminals.

• I like when the SS general proposes that purple tanks are luckier than black ones. Only Hitler would listen to “Nazi Science”.  :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m