GenCon Indy 2012 Roll Call

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

:mrgreen:

don’t say I didn’t warn you smo…

Please feel free to be candid. :)

• Ok, I got there Wednesday night, not a great deal going on. HOWEVER, Thursday at 0800 there were multiple events, somewhere around 50 or so board game events. I started the AA50 tourney at either 9 or 10, don’t really remember but there was all sorts of things to do just in the AA area, much less the rest of the event. Dealer’s hall opened at 10:00. Pretty darn close to 80 hours like Dave said. If you have not been to GENCON Indy, then you just don’t know what you are talking about. I can’t vouch for the rest of GENCON hosted events but Indy seems pretty solid, a far sight better than what Origins has devolved into.

@Imperious:

Maybe it’s different now.

Maybe some people hold grudges…

Maybe some people have trouble letting things go?

Maybe I will attend Gencon indy next year… :)

• Post count again?

• YYYAAA!  Run it up Gar.

• HOWEVER, Thursday at 0800 there were multiple events…

Oh that’s good, they must have fixed it. When it was over here and it was huge, this 4th day thing was pure bunk ( Thursday).

Once out of these times we literally had to bang on the door and call security to let us in and the whole huge room was totally empty of people…just tables and chairs…no officially scheduled events because they never set up the vouchers you need to hand the organizer till the next day… Then next day happens and you wait in a Star Wars line to get vouchers to play the games you want.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Any of you guys take pictures?

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yes. I’m still working through them. I should have more up tomorrow or this weekend.

Axis & Allies photos from GenCon
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/djensen47/sets/72157631170978192/

Costumes from GenCon
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/djensen47/sets/72157631108830854/

@hkytown1:

• Founder TripleA Admin

I think I’m still recovering from the lack of sleep. :-D

Thursday was a bit slower and by slower I mean the place was busy at 9am. The conference hall was open all night on Wednesday for will call. At about 1am there was a huge line and about 2am the line was gone.

Does anybody know the attendance numbers for GenCon this year? Last year was 36k but apparently the Indiana Convention Center was expanded this year. I think 40k is a safe estimate and 50k being an upper bound but who knows.

@Imperious:

How so…?

On Thursday nothing happens. Nothing really open.

Experience from Gen Con LA in which you had to break in the empty game room in order to get that mysterious “4th” day of gaming.

Id like somebody to tell be it was actually open on Thursday at 8am… who actually played a game that day.

• Founder TripleA Admin

It’s a great convention. I encourage everybody to attend at least once. I have trouble saying go next year when I’m not sure if I can make it but you should go and play in the Global 1940 tournament.

@Gargantua:

@Imperious:

• @Imperious:

How so…?

Experience from Gen Con LA in which you had to break in the empty game room in order to get that mysterious “4th” day of gaming.

Id like somebody to tell be it was actually open on Thursday at 8am… who actually played a game that day.

IL, yeah, you can’t even begin to compare the two…GCLA was like one room at GCI.  It was packed from Thursday morning until Sunday at 4pm.  I am with Dave on this.  I went into the dealer hall on Sunday at 3:30pm, and it was still packed.

We had events start at 9 am on Thursday morning and by noon, the board gaming hall was packed.  I would have to say that Thursday was more busy than I had ever seen it…

Again, just like most things on these boards, one can’t even begin to compare the two and make comments accordingly?
    @Imperious:

But it’s only 3 days….

They pretend it’s 4 but it is really three.

Then

@Imperious:

How so…?

I just don’t get it?  I guess that what boards are for, so people can make aimless random comments about things that aren’t really relevant, and then proceed to start a debate over the issue.

• @Gargantua:

@Imperious:

Love to have you Gar…next year will be our 20th year officially running AA events for AH/WotC, so, expect some cool stuff.

• @hkytown1:

Will be posting shortly…though, my pics fail in compairison to Dave’s! :roll:

I guess that what boards are for, so people can make aimless random comments about things that aren’t really relevant, and then proceed to start a debate over the issue.

There wasn’t much debate after I crushed MiamiUMike’s soul in global and forced his surrender on US2.  :evil:

• @djensen:

It’s a great convention. I encourage everybody to attend at least once. I have trouble saying go next year when I’m not sure if I can make it but you should go and play in the Global 1940 tournament.

@Gargantua:

@Imperious:

Once you go…you gotta go back.

Get airline tickets in February (or earlier) and that saves costs. Also, try and get into the gencon housing block on the 1st day, which also is the lowest local hotel prices.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Cool pix of the costumes DJ, I’m aroused and frightened all at once!  They let dude bring in that gun, Steam Punk?  That thing looked real.

LOL If I showed up with a costume and a gun… I can only imagine the fallout.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I got my tickets in May and they were just starting to go up. I could’ve flown in from SF for under $400. I waited a week and paid like $440. I may not be the one deciding whether I can go or not. I have two sets of friends getting married next year and I don’t know when. Chances are one wedding will be in the middle of GenCon and the other in the middle of the Beer Bloggers Conference. I seriously doubt they will conflict with FMGC13 and Spring Gathering XI.

@squirecam:

Once you go…you gotta go back.

Get airline tickets in February (or earlier) and that saves costs. Also, try and get into the gencon housing block on the 1st day, which also is the lowest local hotel prices.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m