• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Are we talking victory from 2 capitols or from one non-Russia capitol?

• @Variable:

Are we talking victory from 2 capitols or from one non-Russia capitol?

When I play with my roommates, we play to the point when we can safely “call” a victory. If the Axis has defeated Russia, and the Allies don’t have a firm basis to attack German or Japan, we will usually call the game an Axis victory.

Our third game (tonight) was an Axis victory by our standards. Despite the fact that this isn’t technically a victory as defined by the rules, we usually know whether or not the US and UK forces have a chance of winning without Russia.

I will say that rolls were certainly not with the Allies tonight  :cry:

• @robbie358:

Putting history aside for a moment, my opinion is that it is Axis-biased.
    This is based on three games played, and the bad guys took all three.

We’ll try a few different Allies strategies to see if they can pull it off.  We haven’t seen USA go all in vs. Germany yet.

We haven’t tried this approach either. We were really hopeful that 1941 wouldn’t end up being synonymous with the 1942 2nd edition, where KGF was the only way to hit the Axis efficiently before Russia was taken. We tried a few combinations of US/UK attacks on both fronts. I think that, for the Allies to have a chance, it’ll result in the landing of US troops from Western Canada onto Western Europe (via SZ10 to SZ8) continuously with UK landings mixed in.

• Customizer

You have to give it to Larry for knowing his History.
    The ebb and flow of A&A follow the ebb and flow of WW2.
    Germany was hampered by the threat of the opening of a third front in Europe using up valuable divisions that could have been used in Russia.
    Not until 1943 did the Russians have to fight the war in something besides survival mode.
    Not many people know but the Russians and Japanese fought a short War prior to the invasion of Poland.
    The Russians used massed tanks to destroy the Japanese at Khalkin Gol.
    The Japanese left the Bear alone after that as the demands of the war against the US was more than Japan could handle against industrial juggernauts.
    A&A is definitely a good game to introduce the military history of WW2 at the strategic level.

• @WILD:

@XRJohn:

I think it’s fine for the Axis to have the advantage in this game. This is the introductory game. Let the newest player in your group play the Axis. He or she should have more fun with the easier and better side.

Exactly, if you want new players to get hooked let them kick a little A$$

This is a little conversation Wild Bill and I had over on the 1941 section of Larry’s forums.

• Has anybody had a legit Allied victory (no real bad Axis moves/die rolls)?

• @UrJohn:

@WILD:

@XRJohn:

I think it’s fine for the Axis to have the advantage in this game. This is the introductory game. Let the newest player in your group play the Axis. He or she should have more fun with the easier and better side.

Exactly, if you want new players to get hooked let them kick a little A$$

This is a little conversation Wild Bill and I had over on the 1941 section of Larry’s forums.

If it’s slanted 60-40 or even 70-30 I can live with that, but I honestly don’t see how the allies can win at all  if not for horrible Axis die rolls or terrible moves. Russia only has 7 IPC to start with as very soon that’ll be down to 4 or so, which means they can only buy a single infantry! Then the Germans take Moscow. probably have a higher income then the US by then and then it’s only a matter of time until the Axis take London. This might still be postponed for quite some time, I suppose with some help from the US, but will in all likelihood eventually happen. Japan can gobble up the few remaining British IPC territories and they won’t be able to do anything in Asia anyway if they’re completely absorbed by fending off Germany.

• Allies are gimped by the low piece count.
    US should start with WAY more infantry to offset the cost of constantly buying naval units.

Soviets need like 3 or 4 more infantry.

• A DD off Washington would suffice.

• I played a solo game that ended after 6 rounds with an Axis victory (Moscow/London, with Japan holding Alaska and threatening the USA). The Soviets did have some bad dice rolls when defending Moscow and swapped their capital back and forth with Germany a couple times before being completely wiped off the board, so I wonder if their “gift” of IPCs to Germany was strategically sound. The USA lost its entire fleet (with the exclusion of two transports in the Atlantic), so Japan parked carriers off the coast of California. It seemed too easy for the Axis side, although I’m not the sharpest strategist.

• I think most of us have decided it was possibly designed Axis biased as it is meant to be an introductory game and it is fun for one side to wreak havoc. We more experienced players should play the Allies and let the new players have fun attacking and making gains as the Axis. We could still win. Also because of the small number of units involved, dice rolling can change things dramatically. Winning and losing will be close sometimes.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

White starts with too many pawns in chess.  Black clearly needs another 2 knights.

• Sometimes Garg you make no sense at all. Try the Queen’s bloody English!

• @Gargantua:

White starts with too many pawns in chess.  Black clearly needs another 2 knights.

I agree completely lets start a petition.

• TripleA

Actually the game does favor axis strongly, I fail to take egypt round 1 and don’t even get a single hit and my two subs missed the carrier completely and died. The allies still got steam rolled, even with a terrible axis opening @_@

I thought man, maybe I need to play a few more games as the allies to see if it really favors the axis, then I heard the quote of the day from one of my friends to another who felt the same way, “There is Germany and there is your capital, GERMANY IS RIGHT THERE AND YOUR CAPITAL IS RIGHT THERE. OF COURSE RUSSIA LOSES.”

I just feel like, the games are being rushed now. Maybe the allies need to start with a whole destoyer more, which is pretty sad when put into perspective to the income one makes.

All the axis and allies games seem to have serious balance issues lately.

They should slightly favor the allies instead of the axis, it would at least make more sense, considering the axis are the ones in position to make an early push.
    ~
    Thinking 8 bid would make the allies interesting.

• @Cow:

Actually the game does favor axis strongly, I fail to take egypt round 1 and don’t even get a single hit and my two subs missed the carrier completely and died. The allies still got steam rolled.

I thought man, maybe I need to play a few more games as the allies to see if it really favors the axis, then I heard the quote of the day from one of my friends to another who felt the same way, “There is Germany and there is your capital, GERMANY IS RIGHT THERE AND YOUR CAPITAL IS RIGHT THERE. OF COURSE RUSSIA LOSES.”

I just feel like, the games are being rushed now. Maybe the allies need to start with a whole destoyer more, which is pretty sad when put into perspective to the income one makes.

All the axis and allies games seem to have serious balance issues lately.

They should slightly favor the allies instead of the axis, it would at least make more sense, considering the axis are the ones in position to make an early push.

I’ve started my 2nd game of '41 (still in round 1; Japan to play) , but so far the Allies are doing a bit better than in my first game. The Germans failed to take Egypt and The Russians put most of the infantry they had in Russia and Karelia/ Archangel  into West Russia. The two new ones were placed in Caucasus (purchased). The Germans then took Karelia, but failed to retake West Russia. Die rolls have also favored Russia in these exchanges. India also seems pretty safe for now after taking out the small Japanese fleet and by being in that position now blocking the largetr one from reaching India on J1. So it seems that if the die rolls are right for the Allies, they may hold on long enough for the US to put in some weight, but it really does seem to Axis have a huge advantage in games in which die rolls are average.

• Are you guys that bored in that you feel like you HAVE to go for Egypt?  Are we that set in our ways that we just can’t ignore it completely?  Sink the carrier with your subs, bring your N. Africa tank over to Europe.  Drop it in Gibraltar first to ensure the FTR from the carrier is sacked. 
    Now, I realize it will be a DD vs. a bomber, it may be worth the risk. If you want them to fight for N.Africa, leave the tank, use an inf to take Gib, but save the DD by leaving it in a different space.  At least now you give the allies too many targets to hit at once.  Will UK go for N.Africa? Maybe, but those units would help out Russia/India more, so why not retreat.  Units are way to valuable to sack in this game, especially as the allies. And why would UK attack a territory with NO VALUE!

Stop wasting Germany’s time with a 42/40 strat and going for a 1 IPC territory…it’s not like the 1IPC is going to allow UK to drop a zillion ships against you anyways. Just don’t put your DD/Transport off the coast of Egypt (FTR/DD will hit you possibly), so just utilize the Italian and Gib. Med zones.  It’s not like Germany is going to lose this game, but I just don’t see the point of Germany wasting it’s own units for Egypt when we all know Russia is the key to the game.

• TripleA

Mallery29… you are missing the point.

we hit egypt and we lose, 2 subs hit the carrier and we lose… somehow axis are still winning hard. hmm kinda funny game.
    ~
    Egypt is a fun attack and it is not a bad attack either. It keeps japan from having to deal with the added ground units so the KJF allied strat isn’t so bad…

• I understand the point COW, I understand this is favored about 100000% in the Axis camp….for competent players, a bid IS required, but even with the bid, why waste the time with Egypt?  Give the Allies 10IPC, and go from there.

• @Mallery29:

Give the Allies 10IPC, and go from there.

I think 10 is way too high. I think 3 or 6, 1 or 2 INF for SSR, is going to be enough.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m