Anybody play Xeno Europe at War or World at War?

• oh yeah i would play it again

• I always liked Xeno’s destroyers.  In fact, I still use them.  World at war was fun and we played it a few times but the Japanese had an uphill battle in South East Asia mainly because of the fact that infantry could be built without a factory present rules.  We only played Europe at War once.  The rules were contradictory and in bad need of clarification.  We had lots of fun and made good memories playing both games though and ultimately, that’s what games are all about!

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

We used to play massive and very entertaining games on the Xeno map with their “events rules” and regular Axis&Allies units with 2 classes of units: basic units as represented by Classic A&A, and advanced units represented by the 2nd generation of country specific A&A units.  We had a whole set of rules drawn up.

So, not necessarily a ringing endorsement, but the map and certain parts of the rXeno rules were fun, particularly the Vichy rules.

• I played World at War 4 times. I like it. It only has one problem the only way the Axis seem to be able to win is conquer the whole globe. In this game Russia never surrenders. England is only eliminated if England,Ontario,South Africa,India and Australia are conquered. Do the math what are the chances of you finishing one of these games. Imperious I am sure with some house rules you can make it better but why at this point with all the other games that are coming out that are better. I played it at my old house about 9 years ago and haven’t played it since.

• oh ok. Yea i read the rules but not played yet.

• it is conquer the world as the Axis

• Customizer

I have played both, but haven’t done so in years.

World at War was interesting.  Axis usually had a tougher go then Allies.  With the new games out now, I haven’t touched it.

Their Europe at War I liked better.  Good effort for something from the early 90s.  Balanced seemed ok.  It still wasn’t enough for me so I made my own game, though.

• In my opinion Xeno and Table Tactics were ahead of the Game as far as Global Axis and Allies with Expanded pieces.  I purchased my Xeno Game in the early 90’s.

As far as not getting enough praise Xeno and Tatble Tactics are in the Hall of Fame in my opinion.

• Xeno Table Tactics and one other expansion are the only ones that came with plastic pieces the rest came with card board cut outs

• Played Zeno exclusively thru out most of the 1990s. They were cutting edge and developed most of the advanced rules that are now considered OOB 15 yrs ago. Their World @ War map was vastly superior to anything MB or Wizards were doing. I also highly recommend using Paradise Games Naval expanition rules. I still use alot of these today.

• Don’t get me wrong I think there are some really good rules in World at War. I just thought the victory conditions for the Axis to win were too great. I liked the rail movement,sub pens and the elite units. The map needed to be a little bigger with better victory conditions and it might have been perfect.

• @lnmajor:

Played Zeno exclusively thru out most of the 1990s. They were cutting edge and developed most of the advanced rules that are now considered OOB 15 yrs ago. Their World @ War map was vastly superior to anything MB or Wizards were doing. I also highly recommend using Paradise Games Naval expanition rules. I still use alot of these today.

Agree…. combining Paradise Expansions, Table Tactic units and Xeno’s was the way to go back in the day.  Cutting edge.

• @Johnson73:

@lnmajor:

Played Zeno exclusively thru out most of the 1990s. They were cutting edge and developed most of the advanced rules that are now considered OOB 15 yrs ago. Their World @ War map was vastly superior to anything MB or Wizards were doing. I also highly recommend using Paradise Games Naval expanition rules. I still use alot of these today.

Agree…. combining Paradise Expansions, Table Tactic units and Xeno’s was the way to go back in the day.  Cutting edge.

glad to know i wasn’t the only one doing this

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

I World at War with my gaming partner pretty much exclusively in the late nineties. We even had a custom map made from the glossy paper one that the game was played on at that time. I loved the u-boat pens, implulse attacks and special units.

The quality of the pieces was not the best, but that didin’t stop us from having some epic (sometimes a week) games. It’s really something to see rules like Zeno’s in today’s games. Like others on here, we still use soem of the Zeno pieces (e.g. destroyers) in our current games.

I have a newer copy of the game which I have never played. The old paper map has been replaced by a standard folding board. Some of the rules have changed a little.

One thing I really like about the World at War was how neutrals were handled. For the Germans it was based on income. So many IPCs and you could roll for Spain or Turkey then their IPC values and armies would be yours.

I agree with the opinion about being able to build infantry in any territoy worth 1 or more. It was like fighting an endless insurgency for the Germans and really affected the balance.

world at war.JPG

• In the 90’, I played a couple of Xeno game and with and without gamerparadise rules.
    It was well balanced but not enough for me.
    The rules are not bad but the gameboard is ugly.
    Over the year me and my friend changes the rules and created our own map.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m