• @Imperious:

Since you seen to be a nice chap…email me and ill send you the rules for your enjoyment. The game is much better than my pictures can discribe. The rules really present the ‘goodies’ of the game.

I wouldnt mind getting a hold of those either.  This game is interesting.

• Customizer

Hi IL - only me.

You know what’s coming, don’t you?

But for the record, and the benefit of other members, I’ll do for dear old Blighty what Funcioneta did for Iberia.

I’d tend towards having just two Scottish regions, but those you have I’d rename:

Scotland = Highlands
    South Scotland = Grampians
    Westmoreland = Lowlands

For England:

Gloucester?! = Cumbria
    Yorkshire = Northumbria
    Lincoln = Mercia
    Norfolk = East Anglia
    Can’t see what you’ve called the southern region; Wessex would be the nearest thing

I’d divide it into Wessex, and Essex for the London territory
    Add Lincolnshire to East Anglia (no coastline for Mercia)
    Pleeeeeeeease redo the Yorkshire coastline - where I live is under the North Sea on your map!
    Manchester was tiny before the industrial revolution, and should be in “Gloucestershire” anyway. Coventry would be a better bet, but Edinburgh and Dublin should be considered for cities.
    Can’t see, but I assume Ireland is north & South?

Bessarabia is of course wrong (in essence Bessarabia is part of Moldavia, the modern country calls itself “Moldova”) but if you don’t like Bulgaria then Thrace would be accurate.  Bukovina was tiny: this region is generally known as “Galicia and Lodomeria”, but as nobody seems to know which bit is Lodomeria usually just Galicia.

Not sure about where you’ve put Hungary

Belgium is a name invented in 1830, so Flanders would be more appropriate here.

If you have a link to a complete map with all labels visible I’m sure I could give you some more advice…

Additional: a thought about the look of the map:

You’ll have noticed all the extra national insignia I placed on my A&A map.  As a student of heraldry I think you could do something similar with this map, i.e. have the coat of arms of each province printed on the board.  This would add tremendous colour, and could be matched up with flagbearer pieces carrying the arms on their flag; perhaps units fight more fiercely for their own “home” province?  Some compromises would have to be made, for example reviving the ancient anglo-Saxon Kingdoms to give the provinces I suggested for England, but in general the size of province you’ve featured would be ideal for this particular enhancement.

I made a whole series of cards for kingmaker based on my research into British Heraldry, so I’d be very willing to research this subject if you get round to a new version of Napoleonic Wars.

• These were brought up in another forum at length… The original artwork was drawn directly from a map of Europe dated about 1840 showing what these lands looked like in 1805. I am aware of some issues in Spain and England… but this is basically an advanced risk style game and the names are only an Identification in case somebody had to write down a position. Its not a major historical game but something more substantial than Napoleon edition of risk by Tilsit.

• Customizer

Well anyway I’ll work on a mock-up of what the map might look like with heraldry added.  I really think the idea of linking a province with it’s home produced troops is neat.
    Anyone can doodle a Risk map; this could be rather more than glorified Risk with a little bit more authenticity.  If you call Senegal “Rio de Oro” it DOES matter.  If you call Cumbria Gloucestershire it DOES matter. 
    If you’re charging money for games I really think it’s important to get things right.  After all there are no shortage of pedants out there who will delight in pointing out every little mistake…  :-D

• OK: The territories overlap in fact all the territories inside each nation are created ONLY with playability in mind. If something is called Cambria is also probably 3 others because the carving again was based not on the actual territories but something designed for the game. IN the real maps i would quickly run into the issue of some quite larger provinces that led to areas where i dont want then to connect to based on my assessment of the boards dynamics. I specifically chose the names because “part” of my drawn territories could also be probably 3-4 others and i have to choose one… thats what happened.

• '19 Moderator

Hey IL cool game as usual.  I have been looking for ships like the ones you heve there, are they from something else or didyou have them molded?  I need them!

I didn’t see an overview of your game, great pics though.

• Customizer

I think the ships are from Eagle Games Civilization.

• no they are from Milton Bradley Broadsides circa 1962-3

• :-o
      Greetings IL,
      This looks really good, when is it going to be sold?
    I think that you should consider not naming the territories at all, rather, just name a major city in that territorial area, less problems that way with geography buffs. OBTW, I knew where those ships came from, they fit very well.
      I have yet to look at the rules, but my first question is, what is the games average play time? About the same as AA / Risk?

:roll: Crazy Ivan

• Its a hybrid system with risk and AA. Takes about 3 hrs to play. Its been for sale for a number of years. I print a few every few months. Remember this is a large top quality map about 3 x 4 feet

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m