Factories and Facilties—Where, How, When, and Why?

• I am sure this is common for scrambling, but is an air base on Malta worth it for the move bonus?

• I often build a minor IC with Anzac in Queensland in round 3 or 4

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Malta is usually too easy to take over, but I think in the earlier editions there was one there.  It doesn’t help Italy too much, if you want them to fight over Malta, Cypress, Sicily etc. make them each worth $.

The uk lurks over by Egypt and US over by gib so they typically don’t form up in that SZ.  If they can form up, its by standing on Italy’s $$.

• For what it’s worth. Games I play have a naval Base in Java and 2 UK inf. 1 fort and an airbase in Malta. Italy always tries to take Malta turn 1 to deny a UK N.O. Of 5  Icps.
    UK never gets to use it in games.

• Would an air base on Gibraltar work well for move bonus (forget scramble)?

• '19 '18 '17

my last game i put an air base on Persia so i could build fighters there to send to Russia and they could also attack with mech inf from persia as well.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@AAGamer:

my last game i put an air base on Persia so i could build fighters there to send to Russia and they could also attack with mech inf from persia as well.

You don’t need an air base to fly a fighter from Persia to Russia. It’s only 4 zones away.

• '19 '18 '17

yes you do if you want to attack rostov and caucausus and volgograd and not just send the fighters to moscow.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

CDG it lets you reach Egypt or Norway, which could be a key part of your KGF.

I wouldn’t forget the scramble though, it lets you protect both sides so you can skonch Italy’s bonus with 1 DD at the same time you make SZ91 untouchable.  Still, I don’t recall building it in any recent game.

• '22 '16

I’ve built a factory in West India with Japan to help pressure the middle east, usually a late game tactic.  I’ve seen a naval base at Midway.  Makes it tough to block for Japan.  After a neutral crush, Spain is a good place for the US to put a factory.  I recently played a game where my opponent did the neutral crush and built factories in Turkey and Saudi Arabia with the UK. (I would not recommend building both)  I built a factory and naval base in Brazil once with the US.  Probably not very cost effective and it was slow developing but it allowed me to build subs and destroyers and get them into the med in one turn.  It wasn’t too much of a worry for the Axis player but it was fun to do.  I’ve built the air base for fortress Java.  And I have also built a naval base there for a one time use that helped turn the tide in the pacific.  I love building the Queensland factory for ANZAC.

• '19 '18 '17

in my most recent game i had my opponent build airbases in both Gibraltar and Morocco… I think he did it jsut for the scramble purposes… I ignored them and did other things… Italy did get very big though – it was tough.

• @AAGamer:

in my most recent game i had my opponent build airbases in both Gibraltar and Morocco… I think he did it jsut for the scramble purposes… I ignored them and did other things… Italy did get very big though – it was tough.

I’ve considered the same, but usually decide that a carrier is more flexible and about the same cost, even if it only gives you two planes instead of 3.

• I do like the flexibility of airbases where you can choose to scramble if the odds are reasonable, and choose to remain hidden safely on land if the opponent sends overwhelming forces.  Being able to scramble 3-6 fighters to protect a lone destroyer in the Med forces the Axis to invest a huge amount into clearing it out each round.  A loaded carrier would not achieve the same outcome earlier in the game when the Allies don’t yet have total superiority in the Atlantic and Med.

Having said all of this, I agree with AA Gamer that later in the game the loaded carrier is usually a far more flexible choice.

• Does anyone ever consider upgrading the minor IC on Rome to a major?  I usually find that it is not necessary until late in the game, and by that time I don’t want to do it or lack the IPCs.

• @Arthur:

I do like the flexibility of airbases where you can choose to scramble if the odds are reasonable, and choose to remain hidden safely on land if the opponent sends overwhelming forces.  Being able to scramble 3-6 fighters to protect a lone destroyer in the Med forces the Axis to invest a huge amount into clearing it out each round.  A loaded carrier would not achieve the same outcome earlier in the game when the Allies don’t yet have total superiority in the Atlantic and Med.

Having said all of this, I agree with AA Gamer that later in the game the loaded carrier is usually a far more flexible choice.

We sometimes buy an airbase for Italy in Africa so Italy and or Germany can scramble 6 planes to protect Italian fleet in med if need be.

• @taamvan:

CDG it lets you reach Egypt or Norway, which could be a key part of your KGF.

I wouldn’t forget the scramble though, it lets you protect both sides so you can skonch Italy’s bonus with 1 DD at the same time you make SZ91 untouchable.  Still, I don’t recall building it in any recent game.

I’m trying this in a current game and it didn’t work out as well as I’d hoped.  Of course part of that is that the Germans are going mostly naval and moved ALL their airforce down to the newly captured Algeria after torching my UK/French fleet in 92.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Build American IC in norway, iraq, persia, korea.

• '19 '17 '16

There is one time when UK_Pac might want a factory - that’s when Calcutta has been retaken.

Otherwise, Japan wants a factory on FIC and Shantung (Kiangsu is nearly as good). Malaya, Kwangtung and Manchuria are not ideal for their own reasons, although a third factory can be required.

UK needs at least one factory in the Middle East and Persia is the most flexible because it can help India best.

USA likes factories on Korea and Norway if possible.

That’s about all really for factories.

Airbases: Gibraltar + situational

Naval bases: off SZ36, Midway.

• Reading most of this already, I agree with all these.

I have never thought of a Naval Base in Midway before. Thats interesting, I might try that.

The Airbase on Gibraltar can be very annoying. I personally use that all the time, it annoys Germany and Italy to no end. Having a huge fleet and a 3 plane scramble can make the Axis think twice before jumping on the fleet.

I like to take Persia as ANZAC, then build an IC. You get a permanent +2 to your income and you can put 3 dudes there a turn and save/spend the rest in the Pacific.

• As ANZAC, I like to use my 2 Egyptian infantry to attack Iraq (which the FEC has typically tried and failed to attack, so it’s a walk-in). Then, I build an IC. This is especially useful if the Germans are hitting Russia hard.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m