• '17 '16

@Imperious:

If taco bell exists in Germany, that’s for minority US soldiers stationed there. Not Germans. Germans would never eat that crap

It’s not “if”, it “DOES” exist. Just because its an American chain, doesn’t mean its for Americans only. Many US chains are “on the economy” and in German towns outside US bases and they get plenty of German customers… as for those on the US installations themselves, you think that ONLY Americans serve there? You’re very naïve on how the US military bases work overseas… they usually all have very sizeable civilian workforces from the host nation… Spangdahlem and Ramstein are certainly no exceptions as both have hundreds of German civilians working… AND EATING at the local base facilities… yes… INCLUDING TACO BELL.

Been there, done that.

I never said its the greatest food on Earth, but there seems to be some sort of conspiracy around here to deny they exist in Germany when the do, then when that nonsense is proven wrong, to somehow pretend no German eats there.  You’d be mistaken on all parts of that.

• What i meant is the customer flow must be mostly service men and their families that’s keeping them afloat. Germans have no interest in Enciritos and Frito Burritos. They serve anybody but i doubt it’s anything but a curiosity. But now in Japan they eat anything, so its big in Japan most likely.

• '17 '16

@AryanRights:

@Imperious:

If taco bell exists in Germany, that’s for minority US soldiers stationed there. Not Germans. Germans would never eat that crap

That’s for sure!

Try serving your country AryanRights… you’d be surprised how much you think is true, isn’t at all. It would be an eye-opener for you to broaden your view of things. Especially if you served overseas.

@Imperious:

What i meant is the customer flow must be mostly service men and their families that’s keeping them afloat. Germans have no interest in Enciritos and Frito Burritos. They serve anybody but i doubt it’s anything but a curiosity. But now in Japan they eat anything, so its big in Japan most likely.

Ya… Japanese are crazy about anything American (especially the younger ones). Here’s another tidbit about US Bases in Germany… because they have so many German civilians working on the base, they also have German Cantinas on the US Base serving traditional German food (and selling for [at the time] Deutsch Marks)… to be honest, I often ate at the German Cantina… I love me some Jaeger Schnitzel.

• Did you had a chance to eat some Franken (franconian) food as well, Wolfsschanze?

• '17 '16

@aequitas:

Did you had a chance to eat some Franken (franconian) food as well, Wolfsschanze?

I did get around Germany quite a bit in the five years I was there, and I used to make it a point to spend some time every fall around Berchtesgaden and get over to Salzburg as well… the Bavarian Alps are so beautiful in the fall… so, eating on the economy was no problem for me… I have enjoyed Drei-in-a-Weckla, as well as Elisenlebkuchen and Küchla… so ya, I loved German bakeries and any variation of “pig on a bun” I was always happy with (especially that German mustard). I used to drive around in my Opel Manta… and no, I don’t know any hairdressers (if that joke is still around).

• You are welcome to revisit us anytime! :-)
    You know everything you need! :-D

• '17 '16

@aequitas:

You are welcome to revisit us anytime! :-)
    You know everything you need! :-D

I loved every minute of the five years I spent in Germany… some of the best memories of my life are my time spent in Germany (and roaming much of Europe). Times are very different for me these days, and I don’t know if I’ll ever make it back or not, though I would love to return someday. I had nothing but positive experiences from every German I met… great people, great country.

• @Wolfshanze:

so ya, I loved German bakeries and any variation of “pig on a bun” I was always happy with (especially that German mustard).

There’s an amusing scene (one of the rare ones) in the Spencer Tracy movie Judgment at Nuremberg in which he buys a sausage and a bread roll from a street vendor, who is a fifty-ish lady.  Another customer, a woman approximately in her late 20s, is standing next to the same vendor stall, smoking a cigarette and drinking a coffee.  Tracy (who was 61 at the time) smiles at the young woman as he dabs mustard on his plate, and she smiles back, but he doesn’t speak German and she doesn’t speak English, so they don’t converse.  The woman finishes her coffee, leans towards Tracy, smiles, says “Auf Wiedersehen, Opa,” and walks away.  Tracy smiles and makes a vague gesture of acknowledgement, but has no idea of what she just said.  He then asks the vendor lady if she speaks English, then asks what the young woman said to him.  The lady answers: “She said ‘Goodbye, Grandpa’”.  Tracy is a little deflated by this, but at least he seems to enjoy his snack.  (Just prior to that scene, by the way, Spencer is given a recommandation to visit the old part of town, where “everyone stops off for a beer and a sausage,” by a US military aide who’s played by, of all people, William Shatner.)

• '17 '16

That reminds me, I sure do miss going to the Wittlich Saubrennerkirmes (Pig Fest) every year… man, I loved going to that.

• '17

@CWO:

Dilbert is sitting at his desk and an attractive female guest character arrives, laptop computer in hand, and says that she’s a new hire, and says that she doesn’t yet have her own cubicle, and asks if she can share his cubicle for a few days.  Dilbert says, “Uh, sure.”  She then says that she doesn’t have her own desk yet, and says that there’s no spare desk in Dilbert’s cubicle, and she asks if she can sit on his lap.  Dilbert says, “Uh, sure.”  In the final frame, Dilbert is sitting is his chair and the woman is sitting on his lap, typing on her laptop computer; Dilbert is thinking to himself, “I don’t imagine how this could possibly get any better.”  The punchline is that, as she types, the woman asks Dilbert, “Which Star Trek series do you like best?”

Seen that one; hilarious!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Dang IL, might be a bit salty there about the rat thing that is often mistaken for a dog. :P

CWO - neat comic, like Dilbert.  He’s my patron saint of technology I think.

As for “hot or not” probably.  P-40s are seksi in their way, I mean they’re not P-51s so they’ll never be really seksi, but they’re seksi.

• Customizer

@Cmdr:

Dang IL, might be a bit salty there about the rat thing that is often mistaken for a dog. :P

As for “hot or not” probably.  P-40s are seksi in their way, I mean they’re not P-51s so they’ll never be really seksi, but they’re seksi.

Thanks for clarifying everything.

• @Cmdr:

That means you have no P40 Tattoo right?
    Hey Chiuahua are no Rats :-D

• @aequitas:

@Cmdr:

Hey Chiuahua are no Rats :-D

No, but they work great for Muskie baits.  :-D

• @aequitas:

@Cmdr:

Hey Chiuahua are no Rats

Oddly enough, in view of the reference to Dilbert, I thought Jen was referring to the comic strip’s characters Dogbert and Ratbert.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Flashman:

@Cmdr:

CWO - neat comic, like Dilbert.�  He’s my patron saint of technology I think.

As for “hot or not” probably.�  P-40s are seksi in their way, I mean they’re not P-51s so they’ll never be really seksi, but they’re seksi.

Thanks for clarifying everything.

Everything?  :)

I do not have a P40 tattoo.  I have a tattoo of a bald eagle super imposed over the Stars and Stripes on my right shoulder.

Also, I happen to like Catbert a lot, Dogbert is a close second.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m