Need a short introduction for a new player

• Hi all,

I have a possible new player for our TripleA G40 game. However he knows nothing about the game. Is there a really short introduction that explains the goals of the game and how to play it? the videos of Young Grasshoper are great, but are to detailed for what I am looking for. I just need to basic summary of production, combat and moving. A few example might be the best.

I would like to explain the rules to him personally, but sadly he moved away and is now out of reach. The time difference makes it difficult for us to use video for explaining.

• I don’t like the rule books very much and think they are difficult to understand. They are good for later reference, but if you are new to the game it is easy to miss something, because the rules are full of prose. I need something simple with the basic rules, but the complete rule set with scramble, amphibious assault, submarines, SBR and so on.

• Or start with 1941?

Sorry - probably not what you wanted to hear.

But 1940 is a beast and I would start with 1941, which gives the basic rule set and build from there.

• Yeah that is not what I was looking for, but still a great hint. The 1941 rule book is much simpler than the 1940 rulebook. Maybe that would be a good start.

• And it is also on triple a  8-)

• Sponsor

I’m planning on shooting a new tutorial series which will include readings from the rulebook, and although it will be more compressed than my old series… it won’t be close to what you’re asking for, or done nearly in time. I’ve tried making a video for new players that would show them how to play the game in 1 hour… but after many attempts, I gave up thinking it can’t be done.

• I can see the problem using video. It us not interactive and does not allow for learning as you play.

I can get a game of 1941 started with about 20 mins of explanation. Of course I do that by focusing on the basic rule set and leaving a&a’s multiple exceptions to explain as each situation arises. The learner is more likely to retain interest this way.

Hopefully Fatespinner can find a way to begin a tutorial game on triple a with a similar approach. :?

• I hope so. I think the basic rules that are needed to play are how the basic combat works for ground units and fighters, how transports work, how your production works and how you win. With that you have everything you need to play.

Bombing, airfields, naval bases, submarines and all other stuff can be introduced during the game or after the first game. If you have played one game with the basic rules, then you can introduce more and you also learn by seeing what the other players are doing. This was the case for my first 1940 game. I only started with the base rules and worked from there. It also helped that I played russia, which does not have ships and does not use complex rules.

• @Fatespinner:

I hope so. I think the basic rules that are needed to play are how the basic combat works for ground units and fighters, how transports work, how your production works and how you win. With that you have everything you need to play.

I would add the steps within each turn from purchase to income collection, Fatespinner. That automatically includes combat and non-combat movement and therefore friendly, neutral and hostile territories / sea zones.

@Fatespinner:

Bombing, airfields, naval bases, submarines and all other stuff can be introduced during the game or after the first game.

Bombing, ABs and NBs do not exist in 1941. As you say subs can be explained when you get to their rules being relevant. The same is true for planes on carriers and how they move, blitzing, capital ships and other “exceptions” to the basic rules. Key though is that the “student” accepts this approach and does not feel hard done by as each new rule arises, potentially to their detriment.

Another key is not to tell the “student” what to do. Rather to give options. And then not to be too incredulous when they insist on doing the wrong thing!

Good luck!

• That sounds quite good. Wish me luck

• '16 '15 '10

If you can both get on the TripleA lobby at the same time, you can start a game and explain the game as you go on skype or in the chat log.  Or your buddy can just observe the game the first time.

Best way to learn is to play.  A nice bonus about TripleA is it interprets the rules for you.

• '19 '17 '16

@Private:

Or start with 1941?

Sorry - probably not what you wanted to hear.

But 1940 is a beast and I would start with 1941, which gives the basic rule set and build from there.

Or 1942. I don’t know, I kind of think 1941 is too simplified and not a good base to go to 1940 from. Perhaps for one game or if time is short.

• Yes 1942 is a better variant to play, because you have more options without the added complexity of 1940.

• Welcome to the Forum Fatespinner.
    You would like to introduce him to a G40 match?
    I recommend starting with europe only.
    You could have him explained most of the rules plus a few techniques and gameplay drive.
    After that you could Set up a G40 allready with the mongolian rule set and explanaition of NB’s.

• Well the problem is the async communication. We can only play by mail, so if I write the rules down for him, then I could also give him a PDF document containing most of the basic rules. And by basic rules I mean only the rules that are really required to play the game. If you start with a nation with nearly no sea units (basically only Russia and China…maybe UK), then you don’t need most rules and can simply start playing. At least that is m hope.

• '19 '17 '16

I think the idea of introducing a new player with play by email is heroic. Is there that significant a distance between you that you would want to do that?

• Sadly the player moved away a few countries and a few thousand kilometers, so there s no chance to meet him IRL.

• Send him a link to this forum, we all take care of him.  :-D

• Well that is some pretty good idea.

• Here’s a slightly loopy suggestion that I’m making just in case it has any practical value.  Since playing together in the same room is a physical impossibility because of the distance, and since playing by forum has problems from an interactivity/tutorial viewpoint…would it be possible to split the diffrence by having the players who live close to each other play physically in the same room and having the remote players play along on their own duplicate map board, with a Skype video-conferencing link being used to connect everyone?  As long as the various locations make sure that they replicate accurately on their local map the moves and actions being made at the other locations, it shouldn’t be too hard to keep everyone properly synchronized.  And any questions that come up duirng play could be answered in real time.  The time zone difference, in a worse-case scenario (i.e. the other side of the planet), can’t be more than twelve hours, so in principle playing on a weekend should make it possible to pick a time that’s, let’s say, in the morning for one group and in the evening for the other group, with the morning group being free for the day and the evening group being able to sleep in the next morning.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m