• @regularkid:

An example is my ongoing game with Shin Ji.

. . . my ongoing game against Mr. Roboto.**

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=37496.msg1514464#msg1514464

• This might be worth testing, but maybe giving the Japanese a minor in kiangsi or manchuria at start of the game might be an idea.

• We’ve tried to avoid changing unit starting setup for reasons discussed above (that’s what bids are for).

Jdow take you up on yer offer of a game yet?

• @regularkid:

We’ve tried to avoid changing unit starting setup for reasons discussed above (that’s what bids are for).

Jdow take you up on yer offer of a game yet?

JDOW and I are going to play a non league BM game soon.

• Hey all. The Mod Squad has been wrestling with the idea of adding a +5 National Objection for German occupation of London. We’ve heard Axis-Dominion’s reasoned objections to it. And we’ve also played a couple Sealion games since the proposal was made.

The concern is this: a +5 bonus may make Sealion too attractive in borderline cases (maybe even overpowered), especially when coupled with Vichy France, and the requirement of using UK lland units to counter Vichy French conversion of territory. On the other hand, it does seem that something is needed to keep UK honest the first couple of rounds.

So here’s another proposal for a Sealion-related NO: Germany gets +5 if it has a land unit in either Egypt or the United Kingdom. This, obviously, would replace Germany’s existing Egypt NO.

What do you guys think? Axis-Domion?

• '15

I’d say it’s a bit on the weak side, but I’m fine with it.

One thought that occurs to me, perhaps the Germans could get 3 IPCs for any round where the Atlantic did not have transports?  Historically, U-Boats sinking commercial shipping was pretty important.

Hrm.  Maybe Germans can get a bonus of 3 IPCs anytime their U-Boats are convoying in the Atlantic?

• @regularkid:

So here’s another proposal for a Sealion-related NO: Germany gets +5 if it has a land unit in either Egypt or the United Kingdom. This, obviously, would replace Germany’s existing Egypt NO.

I like your suggestion guys.

• another possible consideration would be to leave Egypt NO alone, but add that if the germans occupy all of the brit isles they earn the bonus. so long as they keep the allies off they earn it. i think that isn’t so overpowering but still offers a significant incentive.

• @Shin:

I’d say it’s a bit on the weak side, but I’m fine with it.

One thought that occurs to me, perhaps the Germans could get 3 IPCs for any round where the Atlantic did not have transports?  Historically, U-Boats sinking commercial shipping was pretty important.

Hrm.  Maybe Germans can get a bonus of 3 IPCs anytime their U-Boats are convoying in the Atlantic?

Interesting ideas, but they ain’t really Sealion specific, which is what we’re trying to address.

Axis-dominion, while your idea could certainly work, it does increase the total amount of PUs Germany can obtain from NOs by 5. Do you think this idea is more or less ‘overpowered’ than the idea of keeping the total amount of Germany’s NO Pus the same, but making the Egypt NO  easier to achieve (by adding the UK route)?

Also, would your proposed NO include Ireland?

• '15

Yea, I know my idea wasn’t Sealion-specific.  But since y’all want a compromise solution, I was thinking that my idea might help to give Germany that extra oomph it needs.

3 IPCs for dominating the Atlantic (pretty tough to do in most games) seems reasonable to me.  Then we can just go with the shared Egypt and London NO.

• Or you could take away one of the UK’s NOs instead of adding one to Germany. Perhaps the Med islands one.

• '15

Oh yes.  Cosign taking away the UK Med islands NO.  Or at least, make them actually land on Crete to get it.

• well, regarding UK’s island NOs in the med, removing one (or even requiring allied occupation of crete, which would, in most games, delay achievement of the NO by several rounds at least) would substantially impact the balance of the game I think. Judging from the current win/loss ratio, Axis doesn’t really need all that much help.

The idea behind the proposed UK/Egypt NO for Germany is really not so much about balance as it is about gameplay. The aim is to dissuade ‘greedy’ UK1 purchases that seek to take the med out of play from the get go, by making Sealion a more viable strategy long term.

• Also, its worth noting that, if you remove the +3 med-island NO, from the start, UK europe would actually make less than in the vanilla game.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

You did a really good job with the Balance Mod.  Please don’t change anything yet.  Currently axis are still winning over half the BM games.  History has shown over and over that with time and experience people learn to exploit the axis advantages.  The axis win % will likely increase.  You might even need to add more tweaks to strengthen up the allies.

• Thanks, variance. We don’t have any imminent plans for changes to the mod. Just soliciting feedback for possible tweaks down the road.

As for the current Axis/Allied win ratio, it is interesting that Axis have won more games, even though the perception seems to be that the Mod leans in Allies favor. One thing to that skews the ratio a bit is that Mod co-creator, Adam514, gets stuck playing Axis a lot in BM (since folks understandably want to try out the new Allied NOs), and he is simply a beast at the game. if you exclude those games, however, the ratio is pretty much 50/50.

• For my next game, I am proposing to my opponent that we change one infantry into one marine at the following territories:
    WUS, London, Germany, South Italy, Japan, India, and NSW

4 for the Allies and 3 for the Axis - 3 of the Allied powers here are not at war at the beginning of the game.
    When you add a new unit, it’s cool to start the game with some, just like they did in the Iron Blitz Hasbro CD version with marines…

• @regularkid:

I will be forthright and admit I haven’t read much in this thread yet, but

I think this is a very good idea, to add London to the Egypt NO for Germany as an “or”

• @Gamerman01:

For my next game, I am proposing to my opponent that we change one infantry into one marine at the following territories:
    WUS, London, Germany, South Italy, Japan, India, and NSW

if you find a taker, definitely let us know how it goes.

• Are Finland and Norway considered “mainland Europe” for the Russian NO’s??

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m