• Hate the modern ST stuff

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Flashman:

Good summary of what this show is really about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBb0hyuIfYQ

Wow. He is right. Well supported.

Thanks for sharing.

• '17 '16 '15 '12

So, after seeing the Context episode, in English, and as a 35 year Star Trek fan and follower, I add my opinion and say I am absolutely game.

I dont mind the look leap of faith. Enterprise looked more modern than TOS, so what if Discovery does. These are things I can really stand above.

Is it nice that Spock is her foster brother? I guess he is, as her foster mother is called Amanda.

Is it too dark? I dont mind. Its a change. DS9 is my favorite show, it was supposed to be mor gritty.

Do I need to analyse everything in our current societies context? Yes, thats a valubale part of Star Trek, but sometimes a tribble is just a tribble. I can enjoy and seek parallels without giving it too mich weight.

Looking forward to how this develops. The many links to Enterprise and TOS that surely come will be joyous.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I hated the dialogue and tone from the Discovery crew, while I’m sure we are meant not to like them at first not every characterization has to be so heavy-handed. Only way I can watch this show is to root for the Klingons so there are no loose ends:

“Prayer, Mr. Saavik, the Klingons don’t take prisoners.”

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@General:

“Prayer, Mr. Saavik, the Klingons don’t take prisoners.”

That quote makes me feel good.

• '17 '16

@alexgreat:

sometimes a tribble is just a tribble.

And I thought the writers were trying to tie-in tribbles as some sort of comparison to some president’s hair…

• '17 '16 '15 '12

:-)

• '17 '16 '15 '12

and I just met the first TOS character. No doubt not for the last time, as they set it up. This is what I love.

There was also a request to the computer to list the most decorated captains. archer was there, and some guys we know well from TOS.

• '17 '16 '15 '12

spoiler alert in case of someone watching

does the engineer get gary mitchell-esque ESP powers? His eyes eerily remind me of that, and that they dont know where they are plays into the “where no man has gone before” TOS episode.

• It was a great movie no doubt.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Just now joining the conversation. Star Trek Discovery is in my top two favorite Star Trek series.

It has:

• High production value
    • Deep ties to the original
    • Better action
    • Humanity, feeling, morality problems
    • It’s not boring

I’ll go out on a limb here an say most of TNG was just plain boring. There were a few interesting episodes but for the most part, boring. Every series after that followed suit until Discovery.

To me, it feels like Battlestar Galactica, The Expanse, Star Trek Original Series, and some of the Star Trek movies (new and old), and the result is great. The tie-in to the pilot was genius and basically solidified my opinion of the show.

Though, it must be blindingly bright everywhere on the ship with all of those lens flares. Even J.J. Abrams admited he over used it; why is this series doing the same? “Captain, getting those readings for … arrrgggh, the console is as bright as the sun!”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m