What was the craziest/stupidest thing Hitler did

• B******s!

• @wittmann:

B******s!

haha

• @Cromwell_Dude:

1. Not having better intelligence of the Soviet Army in 1941. He was so surprised how prepared they were for war.

German Intelligence was well aware of the situation in Russia but simply either, overestimated them selfs or simply ignored valueable facts.

For example, during the time of peace and the Non - Agressive pact with Russia, many exchange officers visited Russian Universitys ,located somewhere towards Siberia and were debriefed when they came back home.
    The OKW was well informed about the T-34 but didn´t simply give it to much credit. During the war when the Wehrmacht captured some of these T-34 they were about to figure out that the slope shape and the wide tracks give the Tank the upper hand on soviet ground.
    They also knew about the bad roads and had been warned but overestimated them selfs and said they will deal with it when it comes up, thinking that at least the Rollbahnen roads would be allready finished. (at least to Minsk or Kiev)

Maybe astound that the Soviets fought to the bitter end and rather died in their trench holes then surrender…

• It’s very forgetful and prideful on the Germans part when planning for the invasion of the USSR to discount the Eastern Front experiences of WWI. The Germans won that war front in WWI only after dividing the Russians politically and having them take up arms againist each other.

• The Germans were victims of their own propaganda placing ultimate faith in the abilities of the “master race” and the complete ineptitude of the untermenschen.

• @Last:

The Germans were victims of their own propaganda placing ultimate faith in the abilities of the “master race” and the complete ineptitude of the untermenschen.

True, but in some ways how can you blame them?  They were at war with the rest of the world and almost won.  Hard not to get a big head when you conquer all of Europe, large parts of Russia, and North Africa, when you are outnumbered 10 to 1.

• Hitler didn’t use the same trick as the Kaiser: Sending over somebody to cause turmoil and overthrow Stalin. From the invasion, somebody should have come in to represent and liberate the people from the communist yoke. It could have been fake until the war was won, but the people found they had nothing to turn too and stuck with Stalin since Hitler showed his hand what he was going to do before he won. It’s the classic failure in any play or movie where the villain tells you his ultimate plan before he actually carries it out. That allows anybody on the sidelines to choose to go against him.

The Russian people wanted new leadership and the army would have supported it. Heck then 80% of the German war machine could have been turned against UK again.

• Yes, but the germans voted on him in the 1933 election because he promised they could loot Russia and kill jews. The average german dont volunteer for war just to liberate slaves.

• Another funny post. Awesome!  I love how you put it…lol

• '12

@Imperious:

It’s the classic failure in any play or movie where the villain tells you his ultimate plan before he actually carries it out. That allows anybody on the sidelines to choose to go against him.

It’s even funnier when you remember that he reveals his plans even before the war started, it’s all there in Mein Kampf.

• Declaring war on america, splitting at stalingrad, not invading malta, attacking at kursk, not equipping his allies with good stuff.

All of these could make a difference if he had chosen to do it. (or not do it)

• Quit artschool?

• @Kreuzfeld:

Quit artschool?

Probably a good career move, since he wasn’t much of an artist.  As I recall, he didn’t actually get admitted to the art academy (I think in Vienna) to which he applied.

• yea, if the measure of the greatness of a man is by how many remember him, then he is one of histories greatest men :P

• It’s good to see genocide is the winner. My god who voted for any thing else are they ok with genocide . That’s insane it didn’t get every vote

• @General:

It’s good to see genocide is the winner. My god who voted for any thing else are they ok with genocide . That’s insane it didn’t get every vote

I think a lot of people (including myself) took the question as asking about military decisions.

@BJCard:

While I agree that Hitler shouldn’t have declared war on the United States after Pearl Harbor, and if he waited he may have gained some time;  however- the Western Allies didn’t actually invade Europe until June 1944- something they may have done anyway if Hitler waited until 1942.

The only problem is this fails to account for how America’s growing presence in the European theater drew German manpower, leaders, equipment, and supplies away from the Russian front at a time when the Germans were arguably close to victory. Germany could probably have thrown another 20-30 divisions, including some top units, if they hadn’t been forced to garrison France, Italy, and the Balkans against a US-led invasion. Throw in dubious troops from their lesser allies, that also would’ve otherwise been on invasion watch, and that could have been the difference in the Eastern front.

And I haven’t touched what the US bombing campaign did to Germany’s economy. Yes, UK was conducting their own bombing campaign. But the addition of the US fighters & bombers was really telling. No bombing alone would not have forced Germany to it’s knees like some contemporary proponents espoused, but it did hurt quite a bit and it tied up resources, men, etc that could have been put to better use besides trying to shoot down US bombers and clean up the damage.

My answer to the question is one that I’m somewhat surprised I haven’t seen thus far. I think one of Hitler’s biggest military mistakes was failing to plan for after his forces blitzed France. It’s not exactly like the channel suddenly appeared or that the Brits dug it out overnight.  :roll:

He may not have wanted to fight the Brits and maybe he was hoping they could reach an agreement once France was done with. But I feel it was very shortsighted of him not to plan for an invasion across the channel. This was exacerbated by the failure to capture all the Soldiers at Dunkirk, allowing them to live to fight another day. But better planning for the invasion and maybe some work on designing purpose-built invasion craft would’ve been huge. Instead what happened was something akin in Nemo when the fish escape the dentist and one asks, ‘Now what?’

Knocking UK out of the war would’ve prevented Germany from having to fight a two front war and would’ve deprived future US forces of a major base and all that infrastructure for their eventual invasion.

The 2nd worst decision IMO is something others have already mentioned multiple times. Lord knows how many more people Germany could’ve added to their manpower total had they kept the truth about what their plans were hidden during the invasion of Russia. Instead of being welcomed as liberators and aided by the locals; they drove thousands into various insurgent/freedom groups, thousands more straight into the Russian army, and worsened their logistics problems by having to travel so far into ‘hostile’ territory.

• @axisandalliesplayer:

My answer to the question is one that I’m somewhat surprised I haven’t seen thus far. I think one of Hitler’s biggest military mistakes was failing to plan for after his forces blitzed France. It’s not exactly like the channel suddenly appeared or that the Brits dug it out overnight.

He may not have wanted to fight the Brits and maybe he was hoping they could reach an agreement once France was done with. But I feel it was very shortsighted of him not to plan for an invasion across the channel. This was exacerbated by the failure to capture all the Soldiers at Dunkirk, allowing them to live to fight another day. But better planning for the invasion and maybe some work on designing purpose-built invasion craft would’ve been huge. Instead what happened was something akin in Nemo when the fish escape the dentist and one asks, ‘Now what?’

I think it’s quite likely that was hoping that Britain would be (from his perspective) sensible in the face of Germany’s (from his perspective) obvious military superiority, and that the British would either capitulate or work out some sort of mutual non-interference pact (“Leave continental Europe to me and I’ll leave your overseas empire to you”).  It would have been very convenient for him if Britain had done so, so he may have deluded himself into thinking that this would be the likely outcome of a German victory in France.  Good strategists, however, don’t build their plans around wishful thinking, and they don’t make the mistake of focusing on probable enemy intentions without taking enemy capabilities into account.

Notwithstanding Hitler’s high opinion of himself as a military genius, his understanding of warfare was shaped by his experiences as a corporal on the Western Front in WWI and he never progressed very far beyond that perspective even when he was nominally commanding entire army groups.  He had a fair grasp of tactics roughly up to the regimental level, and he loved to study the technical specifications of weapons, but at the operational and strategic levels he was quite out of his depth.  He didn’t have the professional rigour of a trained senior officer, and I don’t think he could even be called a gifted amateur.  His reliance on instinct and intuition did serve him well on some occasions, in the sense that it allowed him to think out-of-the-box, but his impulsiveness, his lack of an eye for detail and his weak sense of focus also got him into serious trouble.  On the specific issue of failing to plan for an invasion of Britain, an additional factor was that, by his own admission, naval warfare was something he neither liked nor understood.  An amphibious campaign was probably something he wanted to avoid, so he would have had little trouble convincing himself (until it was too late) that such a campaign wasn’t going to be necessary.

• I voted for “other.”

A number of eloquent and persuasive arguments have been raised about going to war against the United States. However, there are two points worth bearing in mind:

1. The pro-war faction in America would have succeeded eventually, just as it did in WWI.

2. Even while the U.S. was still technically neutral, it was sending vast quantities of aid to the Soviet Union, Britain, and Germany’s other enemies. America’s most threatening aspect was its industrial potential; and this had already been turned against Germany long before war had been declared.

Cogent arguments have also been raised about the Germans making more of an effort to seem like liberators to those oppressed by the horror of Stalin’s rule. However, there are some points worth bearing in mind:

1. The Allied food blockage meant that Germany could not feed the people within its own borders. It’s hard to seem like a liberator when the people in conquered sections of the Soviet Union are starving.
    2. The people in communist controlled sections of the Soviet Union did not necessarily have accurate information about how the Germans acted. For example, Soviet pilots were told the Germans did not take prisoners. The most accomplished pilot in history–Erich Hartmann–told a story about a captured Soviet pilot’s surprise at being treated humanely by the Germans and fed a good meal. These things bore no relation to the claims of Soviet propagandists.
    3. The Soviet government was not above shooting the families of soldiers who would not fight; or soldiers who sided with the Germans.
    4. When the German army was forced west, a large number of Soviet civilians fled west with it. The Germans were considered less bad than the Red Army–at least by those familiar with the situation.

My vote was for “other” because I think Germany should have invaded Britain in 1940–with von Manstein in charge of the invasion plan. Von Manstein believed an invasion would have succeeded, if launched at the right moment, and in the right way. Assuming his view is accurate, Germany squandered a golden opportunity. Taking Britain out of the equation would have solved a multitude of Hitler’s problems. It might even have created a possible basis for lasting peace; though this is far from certain.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Hitler should have declared war on JAPAN.

That way he could have been America’s ALLY!

• @wittmann:

Declaring war on the US.
    It was an arrogant and unnecessary act and brought about the early fall of his European ally, Italy. The 60000 infantry who landed in North Africa in late 42 made all the difference in unbalancing the African situation, as inevitably numbers increased.  After North Africa came Sicily and Salerno. The Germans found themselves in the unenviable position of fighting a three front war with all the complications that involved.
    The resources sent to the European theatre in 42 could not have been used in the same way against Japan in the Pacific and we know how quickly the Americans in Africa learnt from their experiences of fighting an experienced German Army. All lessons learnt were put to good use later.

what he said…hitler did not need to declare war on the US so early.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m