• Tank divisions and airborne divisions seem to get all the glory. However the majority of World War Two was fought by infantry, I thought a World War Two infantry poll would be great. Wow, there were hundreds of divisions in the War; I know I had to overlook some outstanding units, the vastness of the subject is to blame for this.

I tried to keep this poll free of mobilized infantry, however some of these units had some mobile capibilities.

I also tried to represent most countries.

Due to the amount of choices, i have allowed for three votes.

• '12

I see according to the voting page the total votes were 2.  One for the Canadian 3rd, one for US 26th and another one for the Soviet 13th Guard……yep, two votes.  I wonder if the author of the list is not counted?

• Hi Worsham. I confess I am one of those lovers of Armoured Divisions and Airborne ones. I cannot think of any Inf ones, except  those present on D-Day.
    Suppose the Guards are a good bet as they earnt that honour title.
    Finnish ones? Weren’t the Colonial French ones good?
    I am stumped.

• where is “Hans Majestet Kongens Garde”??? they fought and lost all the key stuff around oslo within hours, mostly due to being stupid and humanitarian.

but for realz, anyone NOT voting for the finnish 9th, should read this article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Raate_Road
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Suomussalmi
    And they did that with little support from any other formation, it was mainly the division, on its own

• Thank you Kreuzfeld. I like reading about great defensive stands.

• Customizer

Wittman,

This is a GREAT topic for discussion/learning.

––My obvious first choice would be the U.S. Marine 1st Infantry Division,
    “The Old Breed”
    . A lot of veterans of the “Banana Wars” and other small, yet violent inter-war conflicts. It wasn’t even a Division-sized force until just prior to WWII. It was full of real MARINES like “Chesty” Puller, etc., etc.,

––For my second and third choices I’ll think a little on that. There were several EXTREMELY capable German units and others. Choice 2 & 3 later.

----A lot of my “favorite” units other than Airborne or armored were only Brigades or Regiments. Such as the 1st Special Service
    , a.k.a. as “the Devils’ Brigade”

“Tall Paul”

• This topic came to mind and took it on. I knew this topic was vast and quickly consumed 6 to 8 hours, it could have taken days. My wife started laughing at me for spending more time studying for a WWII forum that she was for her college courses.

Good to see some discussion on the topic.

• '10

No doubt here. Has to be the 1st Marine division.

• I got to say it, GD Großdeutschland.

I know, the topic is best WW2 Inf. Division and GD just describes it only partially but since this Division started as a Mot. Inf. Reg. and became then a Inf. Division to change finally into a Panzer Grenadier Div. ,I think it still deserves it to be at least mentioned.
    I had a book about Division GD and I really liked it. Her path was amazing and GD was one of Three (I think) non SS - Divisions with a.) Ärmelband wich was something like a bandana for the arm to show that this unit was somekind Elite and
    b.) treated like a Elite Unit. (reserved the privlege to gain Material wich normaly got the Waffen SS first. Panther Tanks for example)

To me it was a very good Combat Division.

• Nice Aequitas. Good point about GD. It earned the right to be upgraded, but was originally an Inf Division. Think it was a Pzg Div by Kursk. (Been a while since i read about Zitadelle.)
    Did it end up as a Corps?
    Maybe I am thinking of the HG Pz.

• @wittmann:

Nice Aequitas. Good point about GD. It earned the right to be upgraded, but was originally an Inf Division. Think it was a Pzg Div by Kursk. (Been a while since i read about Zitadelle.)
    Did it end up as a Corps?
    Maybe I am thinking of the HG Pz.

Since the 20th of Dec it became Panzerkorpse Großdeutschland:
    III./Grenadier-Regiment GD, I./Füsilier-Regiment GD, III./Panzer-Regiment GD (Tiger), IV./Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment GD and all Versorgungs- und Feldersatzeinheiten (Supply and Reinforcements troops).

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

DEVIL’S BRIGADE!

• Customizer

Garg,

––Uh, um, sorry, Garg, but the Devils’ Brigade was a BRIGADE, not a Division.

----I knew you already required psychiatric help, but maybe we should add a math teacher to that(Grin).

“Tall Paul”

p.s.-You’ve been keeping too quiet lately. Your ‘interesting’ perspective on things always cracks me up.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m