Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• @wittmann:

You do know the Carrier need not move into the SZ with the Air units?
    It can wait until the Non Combat move phase.

Yes, thxs for this hint Wittmann, good that you mention this!

I know when the fighters are destroyed, than it is not absolutely necessary to move the carrier to the seazone which should be the landing space.

• That is right.
    Generally players do not move a Carrier into a Combat scenario, unless they want to soak up hits. A Carrier has no attack value, of course.
    Hope you ar a little clearer and happier.

• Great answers as usual, Wittman

I would just like to try and help everyone out with a few basic summary statements about carriers and fighters.

It is only during the combat movement phase that you must have a POSSIBLE landing place for all fighters, assuming they all survive, in the noncombat phase.

During the combat phase, you no longer have to worry about this requirement - that is, you can take hits to carriers even though that means certain death for some fighters.

During the non-combat phase, you MUST safely land every surviving fighter/tac that you possibly can.

The 1 MP extra to land is for stranded defensive planes only - this does not apply to attackers.

The case of retreating carriers is a good example to talk about.  To illustrate:

You attack a sea zone with a fleet, including 1 carrier and 2 fighters that have 0 MP left.
    During combat, if you were to retreat the fleet (air stays in the zone), there is no way that the 2 fighters could land anywhere because they have 0 MP left.  Even if you controlled the island in the zone, they could not land there.  Their only possible landing place was the carrier, but IT WAS legal to retreat and strand the air.  The “no kamikaze” rule ONLY applies to the combat MOVEMENT phase, not the conduct combat phase.
    Hope this helps

• Yes Wittman you help me a lot and thxs also to Gamerman for this detailed description.

This kind of short summary was very useful to complet my knowledge of carriers and fighters!
    The example was new for me, every time to learn something news about this great game.  8-)

The support here in the forum is always first class.

• If Germany lands a few planes in Italy for the purpose of being able to scramble to defend the Italian navy against UK 1 turn attack, my understanding is only the Italian planes can scramble. The German player cannot scramble unless he has at least one ship with the Italians?

Correct?

Also, what is the typical bid for Europe 40?

• @Imperious:

If Germany lands a few planes in Italy for the purpose of being able to scramble to defend the Italian navy against UK 1 turn attack, my understanding is only the Italian planes can scramble. The German player cannot scramble unless he has at least one ship with the Italians?

Correct?

No.  The German planes can scramble just like Italians.  Defender decides exactly which planes are scrambled.

There are no special requirements for ally’s planes scrambling.

• Official Q&A

@Gamerman01:

… except that the ally must agree to the scramble (if a different player) and must be at war with the attacking power.

• I had a feeling there would be something when I wrote that!

Thanks, Krieghund

• '14

A territory was a friendly neutral at the start of a power’s turn. The power activates it during NCM. Can a facility (for simplicity, an airbase) be built there this turn?

Thank you

-w

• No.  The German planes can scramble just like Italians.  Defender decides exactly which planes are scrambled.

Thanks Deputy!

• @Jon:

A territory was a friendly neutral at the start of a power’s turn. The power activates it during NCM. Can a facility (for simplicity, an airbase) be built there this turn?

Thank you

-w
    Morning and welcome Jon Von Neumann.
    The answer is no, I am afraid. You do need to have controlled it since the beginning of your turn.

• '14

Thank you very much. Happy to know for sure.

• I think i was tricked by some rule Lawyer. He said bombers attacking fighters alone just attack at 1, not 4. The 4 attack is only against land targets. I sent 2 German bombers to wipe out a UK fighter at Gibraltar. Tell me this rule is bunk. His reasoning is bombers cant “bomb” flying planes.

• @Imperious:

I think i was tricked by some rule Lawyer. He said bombers attacking fighters alone just attack at 1, not 4. The 4 attack is only against land targets. I sent 2 German bombers to wipe out a UK fighter at Gibraltar. Tell me this rule is bunk. His reasoning is bombers cant “bomb” flying planes.

He’s thinking of the air battle rules before SBR
    Bombers, tactical bombers, and fighters attack at 1, as do defending fighters.

In conventional combat, it’s as it always has been.  Bombers attack at 4, fighters defend at 4, bombers defend at 1…

If you are doing an SBR of a base at Gibraltar and you are doing an air to air battle before an SBR, then yes your bombers attack at 1 and his fighter defends at 1 (if he chooses to intercept).

However, if you are not doing SBR but are attacking a fighter, then your bombers attack at 4 and his fighter defends at 4

• However, if you are not doing SBR but are attacking a fighter, then your bombers attack at 4 and his fighter defends at 4

Exactly as i knew, but i listened to him and didn’t make the attack.

• @Imperious:

Exactly as i knew, but i listened to him and didn’t make the attack.

That’s probably best for you anyway, unless that UK fighter was going to do something particularly important that turn.  :-)

• Ok thanks.

• Can UK and Anzac prevent Japan from loading their transports in combat move if UK moves a warship into a seazone (in this case z36) and Anzac declear war on them.

• @ErwinRommel:

Can UK and Anzac prevent Japan from loading their transports in combat move if UK moves a warship into a seazone (in this case z36) and Anzac declear war on them.

yes.  dirty tricks.

• yes.  dirty tricks.

Dirty is the way allies play :) Soviet pirate income from Somaliland, YARRR!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m