Simple things you can expect to see in my house rules.

• Ive got a lot of good reviews for my 1941 setup for Global, and did have a AA50 rule set I was pretty proud of too but didn’t get a huge amount of attention.
    For 1942, Im sure a half dozen rule sets are going to pop up as “Historical house rules”

For the time being at least, some important themes from AA1940 can be cherry picked, so to speak, and applied to 1942 when it comes out.
    These being, at the most simple:

• A no factories on islands rule
    • A Denmark Strait rule (that offers some protection to German naval units)
    • A Strait of Gibraltar rule (simple enough, same as the 1940 rule)
    • A non aggression pact (in the form of roll modifiers, or +3 INF for the defender when first attacked)
    • A capital ships repair rule (Battleships must repair in a SZ bordering a victory city or factory)

A few intermediate ideas:

• Bare bones NO packages for each power (3 for each axis power, 2 for each Allied power) (the bonus cash would only be 2 or 3, maybe 4 IPCs)
    • Bare bones raiding (A simple way to raid, maybe only subs can do it)
    • Bare bones scramble (A victory city or factory can scramble one plane. thats it, just one plane)
    • A US infantry a turn can mobilize in China rule (keeps china fighting)

And some ideas that are probably too much

• Amphibious invasion more difficult (no, shove your blockhouses up your ass, not everyone has Battle of the Bulge……perhaps something to do with the combo of an AA gun and an Artillery on defense at 1:1)
  • '12

I’d leave out the capital ship repair rule.  It’s very hard on the axis, especially without airbases.  Let’s say a German BB at sea (ie, not in port) gets damaged on the Russian turn by fighters.  It has to move back to port and then survive UK, USA, and another round of USSR attacks before it can be repaired.

Now let’s at the UK by comparison.  The Germans damage a UK battleship at sea on their turn.  The UK withdraws it to port.  Both the USA and USSR have a chance to move ships in with it to protect it from the Germans while it awaits repair.  The rule is very allied slanted. Airbases help a bit, it’s not a rule I’d add to a game without them.

• Where is your 41 setup? Are there any changes in the NOs?

• hence why the Capital ships repair rule is in the “intermediate ideas” section….
    It may just be too advanced for this game.

• The straight rules, and IC building on islands would top my list as well. A very limited NO package would be ok with me, and yeah convoys (ohh boy here we go LOL)

I think it might be possible to to add both air & naval bases to the game (very limited). Start with placing AB/NB at ICs (where applicable). Wouldn’t give them any movement bonus BS, but allow 1 unit to scramble from an AB, and ship repairs need a NB (maybe even consider 2 hit carriers?).

Could put NB’s in key areas like Haw, Carol, Phil, Gib etc… AB’s in France etc…

Could also say mobilizing air & naval units need an IC, and the appropriate base.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a house version that included the Chinese and Italians.

Just as an after thought, could maybe look at using the old AA guns for amphib def (art bunker?) These old relics would stay with the territory (neutral color) maybe fires a pre-empt kill shot at 2 every round (opposing casualties don’t return fire). It could be used to soak a hit, but if damaged then it no longer fires its pre-empt shot (doesn’t fire at all). It is never destroyed and if territory is taken it stays in tact. Only one per tt allowed, and after the battle it auto repairs (damage removed), regardless of who ended up with the tt. Not sure, but maybe allow these art bunkers to be built in any  territory, and place some at set-up?

• In my house rules, I will have hot girls serving me wings and beer in school girl outfits.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Capitol Ship Repair Rule:

One I kinda liked is that the ship is automatically repaired at the end of EACH turn if, and only if, it was at port (ie, in 1940 that would be a naval base or industrial complex - in versions without a naval base token, only next to territories with a friendly industrial complex.)

That has the added benefit of not having a suicide attack on a BB only to have another country come finish it off and helps the Axis a bit, while also helping the allies (who have or can have conplexes just about anywhere they want to go.)

Just a thought.

• Well, I personally avoid injecting anything else into the box. (because some people might not have AB/NB tokens at their disposal)
    There aren’t NB and AB tokens in the box….so any AB or NB rules would be tied to the units themselves, not a separate piece.

For instance, Capital ships needing to repair at a sea zone bordering a victory city or factory is really just modifying the rules for capital ships…not adding an airbase.

And for scrambling, it would be limited to 1 plane. And may apply only to territories with a factory or victory city…if scramble is even within the scope of this game.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

I would go with the no factories on islands rule, but given the weakness of japan in the pacific you might not even need it.

For everything else, why not just play global?

• amphibious assaults: Each defending unit defends at +1 during the first cycle of combat (each time it is attacked).Simple, effective and makes amphibious assaults a lot riskier!

oztea,

I was thinking more globally, like applying it to all games, not just 1942…of course, if you dont have ab/nb tokens, then dont use those.  Heck, you could even say you need to move a destroyer (submarine for games without destroyers) to your damaged ship to repair it.

Might get conveluted, but it’s Axis and Allies, it’s SUPPOSED to be conveluted!

Here’s what I am thinking:

A destroyer (or submarine) cannot have moved, must be owned by the player with the damaged warship, and must be able to move too the damaged warship to repair it
    else
    The warship must be adjacent to a victory city or industrial compled

• Thats a little too bizarre Jen.
    I know ships were used to repair other ships, and still are to this day, but the mechanic is that capital ships need to stay close to somewhere they can repair at, so they are kind of limited in their ability to soak wounds.

Otherwise, it doesn’t really get us anywhere if the battleship can stay where it is, and you just build a destroyer each turn and sail over to it and repair it.
    (or just cram a sea zone full of destroyers and battleships)

Actually, im not exactly sure what you are saying on this one.

THat one was more a “realism” thing…I was thinking a DD to move there and back in a turn to allow the BB to remain on patrol…but I knew from the get go it was a bit too fancy.

I like keeping it in “port” (next to a VC or next to a NB or next to an IC - depending on what flavor of Axis and Allies you are playing) to repair it, or it stays unrepaired.

I also like the idea of paying the higher of 2d6+2 to repair it. (Akin to bomber damage in one of the games.)  Max cost would be 8 IPC, way better than buying a new battleship, not as good as just buying a destroyer, minimum would be 3 IPC - the value of an infantry.

• First of all Mallery’s houserule should be a requirement. That said, I think a good house rule would be as long as UK controls India, the US can place 1 free infantry in China each turn. Its to simulate flying supplies over the hump and China’s large population. Strictly speaking burma would be a more realistic requirement but this gives India that much more importance.

• Oh yea, definitely. US being able to bulid an INF in china is crucial.

• Ha, I just now noticed you had the same houserule minus the India requirement. We can’t be the only ones thinking China needs some help

• It will be funny going back to a China that no longer takes over Asia. The good old days!

• Why have the no-ICs-on-islands rule?

• @Cmdr:

I like keeping it in “port” (next to a VC or next to a NB or next to an IC - depending on what flavor of Axis and Allies you are playing) to repair it, or it stays unrepaired.

I used to like the “repair it in port” rule as more realistic, but then you have BBs floating around the board looking silly on their sides, able to coast bombard and fight at full strength. How unrealistic is that? Now I just think of the first hit as “bouncing off” the thick armor and not damaging the ship. That helps me justify turning it upright at the end of a battle. To me it’s a cleaner and simpler rule.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m