1942 Second Edition Preview 1: Contents of the Box

• Founder TripleA Admin

I’m back. And even though I got scooped, I’m still pushing out previews this week.

The first is just the contents of the box. Later tonight, I’ll post the map and setup.

Here’s the first preview:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/p/axis-allies-1942-2nd-edition-preview-contents-of-the-box/

• TripleA '12

Thanks, djensen. You’re a god amongst men. So far I like the look of those green plastic chips!

• Thanks! No worries, you haven’t been scooped at all. I’m waiting eagerly for shots of the new units, specifically the German artillery.

• Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here. Thanks for posting the contents of the box, looking good so far. Really looking forward to seeing a better pic of the map and setup cards than what we’ve seen so far from the rulebook.

I noticed in the contents list that there’s two game board pieces, which is a bit surprising. Do they fit together well? I’ve only played A&A Spring 1942 but I know that the combined Global 1940 game uses two boards, I was just wondering if there can be any issues with that setup (i.e. using two boards)?

Also, are you able to comment on possible errata in the final printed version of the game? E.g. 1) UK’s & Germany’s setup cards shown in the rulebook quote starting IPC values of 30 and 40 respectively but on the game board itself someone mentioned that those two powers’ starting territories actually total up to IPC values of 31 and 41; 2) the map on page 8 of the rulebook appears to show Honolulu being a victory city (making 13 in total), although it’s not mentioned in ‘How the war is won’ on page 6 of the rulebook.

• There are two boards - and the copy I played on fit well together.

As for the two errors - they are known and Larry verified that the two starting IPC amounts are incorrect on the cards. Also - yes, Hawaii IS a VC, though not listed as such in the rule book.

I also eagerly await further pictures and such - and I’ve played it - LOL

MM

• Founder TripleA Admin

Thanks for posting!

The game boards fit together well. Not perfect, but the defects are hardly noticeable.

I’m sure errata will be released on July 27. However, I’ll start a thread of possible problems and I can send an email off to Larry later, just in case he is not aware.

@Longwaysouth:

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here. Thanks for posting the contents of the box, looking good so far. Really looking forward to seeing a better pic of the map and setup cards than what we’ve seen so far from the rulebook.

I noticed in the contents list that there’s two game board pieces, which is a bit surprising. Do they fit together well? I’ve only played A&A Spring 1942 but I know that the combined Global 1940 game uses two boards, I was just wondering if there can be any issues with that setup (i.e. using two boards)?

Also, are you able to comment on possible errata in the final printed version of the game? E.g. 1) UK’s & Germany’s setup cards shown in the rulebook quote starting IPC values of 30 and 40 respectively but on the game board itself someone mentioned that those two powers’ starting territories actually total up to IPC values of 31 and 41; 2) the map on page 8 of the rulebook appears to show Honolulu being a victory city (making 13 in total), although it’s not mentioned in ‘How the war is won’ on page 6 of the rulebook.

• '19 '15 '12

Thanks for posting a preview tonight! You’re awesome.

• :( cardboard ICs :) green chips

• @Yavid:

:( cardboard ICs :) green chips

With all the great components, including new unit pieces and chips, I am surprised there are cardboard ICs.

I like the addition of the green chip to represent three units.

• I just got the game with the mail today!

I only owned the original 2nd Edition version of Axis & Allies from Milton Bradley (1986) and was a little shocked to find the new game box so small compared to the old one.

Oh and they excluded the IPC’s in this version just like i read they did in the first edition of this game! Thats a shame for all those who buy this game and don’t own another version which has the money…

I would post some screen shots of the game board, but i’m not allowed to post pictures and links.

• ^&@^$@^% another game i’m gonna have to get now.

• @maxx001:

I just got the game with the mail today!

I only owned the original 2nd Edition version of Axis & Allies from Milton Bradley (1986) and was a little shocked to find the new game box so small compared to the old one.

Oh and they excluded the IPC’s in this version just like i read they did in the first edition of this game! Thats a shame for all those who buy this game and don’t own another version which has the money…

I would post some screen shots of the game board, but i’m not allowed to post pictures and links.

Where did you preorder / order the game?

• @maxx001:

If you send the pictures or links to somebody else on the board who has posting rights, they could do it on your behalf.

• Customizer

@maxx001:

You can always go to historicalboardgaming.com and get his “Battle Bucks”. They are even nicer than the IPCs from the old A&A games. They have scenes from WW2 in the background and you get 1s, 5s, 10s and 20s.

@cebrickey:

I like the addition of the green chip to represent three units.

Not me. I like the green chips, but not for 3 units. I really don’t think we need a chip for an amount between 1 and 5. If I use them, it will be for 10 units.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

In your case then, you will want to use the greens for 5 and the red for 10. You get more green than red and they are not compatible with older chips.

• My hobby shop has a copy in stock which I was able to unbox/inspect.

Best surprises:
    Anti-Aircraft Artillery: the models are great and they’re BIG. A lot bigger than Germany’s artillery piece in AA42 1st ed. They feel…meaty. They new artillery pieces are also realy nice.
    The figurines themselves are a good quality, nicely detailed (i.e. you can see individual bolts on tank tracks) but not a hude step up from current editions.
    The chips are REALLY nice. They have a good quality to them, and they said Axis and Allies. Green additionnal color is a nice touch.
    The board, as it was said before, is pretty big. Big enough anyways.

Not so good surprises:
    The map feels stretched. Picture the world map in your head, grab both of the poles (North and South) and… pull hard. This is what it feels like. Japan looks a little like… Chile.
    Germany border colors. I had a little trouble seeing the borders of Germany’s territories, especially early in the game, in 1st ed. That has not been fixed.
    Cardboard ICs. Well, you know. At the same time, the cardboard is not cheapo. It a nice quality.
    USSR and Germany control markers. They’re weird. The symbol is super small on chips that are the regular size.

Other than that, it’s AA42.

• Customizer

@Variable:

In your case then, you will want to use the greens for 5 and the red for 10. You get more green than red and they are not compatible with older chips.

Hmmm… I guess that means they are also not compatible with the chips sold by Coach. Too bad because I got a LOT of them. I did notice in one of the pictures that these new chips seem to have much wider ridges than normal.
    I guess this will give me something to think about when I get this game – Do I use the new chips or stick with my ton of old chips?

• Founder TripleA Admin

I updated the counts for the chips and the counters in the article. There are 50 gray, 20 green, 10 red.

• Customizer

The chips not being compatabile stinks. We don’t use them very much though so I guess it’s not a big deal. Maybe we’ll keep them separate from the old chips and use them for damage.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I plan to use mine for the 1941 game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m