1942 2nd ed Sculpt Identification Tables

• @radar231:

Since I am a miniatures addict  :-D, I probably won’t be playing these new A&A games but I will be using all the new units for sure with Global War 1939  :-). And with all the new units coming from HBG and hopefully FMG, the choices will be insane  :evil:. So far I am planning to buy one 1941 and two new 1942 games  :wink:.

My 2¢

J.  8-)

Funny thing I agree with you but I’m planning on 2 of the '41 games and maybe 2 of the '42 but most likely 1. With the same piece count in '41 the second one is just to get a full 300+ pieces you get from basically every other game.

• To me it seems '41 has the more interesting new sculpts. Very disappointed '42 is not getting those as well.

• @radar231:

Since I am a miniatures addictÂ

“Piece junkie” is another term used for such folks (a group that includes me).

• Customizer

Me too. I need to see how much work I need to do before I paint them.
    WHERE ARE THE PICS???!!!

• @sgtwiltan:

Me too. I need to see how much work I need to do before I paint them.
    WHERE ARE THE PICS???!!!

Variable’s photos of the AAA units are available here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27836.0

• Customizer

Already saw those. I want the other pieces.
    Does the 25 pounder have the traversing wheel and the new ships?
    Those AA cured my ADD for a day

• Customizer

Hey Guys,
    I’ve seen a lot of people wonder about the scale of A&A pieces so I decided to check things out. Basically, I just looked the different classes up on Wikipedia, got the length in meters and converted that to millimeters, then divided that number by the length of the sculpts. I came up with a lot of very weird numbers. Obviously these pieces are not a uniform scale.
    In fact, it looks like what WOTC decided to do was to make all the pieces in each class a roughly uniform size – all carriers are 64mm long, all battleships are 58-62mm long, all cruisers are 50-56mm long, etc. I think that probably makes more sense for gaming purposes. That way each class of unit fits within a certain size limit so they will be easier to recognize by gamers. If they went by actual sizes, we would end up with some battleships being larger than carriers, some cruisers being larger than battleships and so on. In fact, the Gangut class Soviet battleship is shorter than the cruisers of all five nations in real life.
    Here’s what I came up with for the US units:
    USS Wasp Carrier – 1/3530
    USS Iowa Battleship – 1/4433
    USS Portland Cruiser – 1/3720
    USS Johnston Destroyer – 1/2442
    USS Ray Submarine – 1/2066
    Liberty Transport Ship – 1/2990
    B-17 Flying Fortress – 1/687
    P-38 Lightning fighter – 1/577
    M4 Sherman Tank – 1/265

• @knp7765:

In fact, it looks like what WOTC decided to do was to make all the pieces in each class a roughly uniform size – all carriers are 64mm long, all battleships are 58-62mm long, all cruisers are 50-56mm long, etc. I think that probably makes more sense for gaming purposes. That way each class of unit fits within a certain size limit so they will be easier to recognize by gamers. If they went by actual sizes, we would end up with some battleships being larger than carriers, some cruisers being larger than battleships and so on.

Yes, an example of that being the three types of aircraft in Global.  The strategic bombers are all large, the fighters are all small, and the tac bombers all about midway between the two other types of units.  The size variations between groups of planes and ships tends to be greater than the size variations within each group.  For gaming purposes, the size-based visual cue about a unit’s general type is a useful thing to have.  If I’m not mistaken, by the way, all the destroyer sculpts ever used in A&A games have had transom sterns, which is another instance of a useful visual cue.

• Customizer

A little more on scale.
    The numbers I got for other countries’ units were just as odd and none seemed to match up on the same scale. The carriers for Germany and Japan were bigger than the US and British models so their scale was much smaller (USA = 1/3530, UK = 1/3542, Germany = 1/4102, Japan = 1/4156).
    It would therefore be almost impossible to come up with some sort of “average” scale. Another example for Battleships: the USS Iowa (1/4433) and Yamato (1/4458) are close, but then you have the HMS Royal Oak (1/3259) and the Gangut (1/2970). The Bismarck sort of rides the middle (1/4048).
    Even the tanks had a wide variety for their comparative scale:
    US Sherman = 1/265
    UK Matilda II = 1/286
    Soviet T-34 = 1/304
    German Panther = 1/289
    Japanese Type 95 = 1/231
    While it’s been suggested that 1/285 scale (from GHQ) is the scale for A&A, while some are close others are quite far off. So while 1/285 would probably be close enough for most, if someone were really particular it wouldn’t be accurate. A 1/285 scale T-34 would be quite a bit bigger than it’s A&A sculpt. A 1/285 Type 95 would be significantly smaller.
    So, if someone asks me what scale A&A pieces are, I guess I have to say “I don’t know”.

• There are other threads that have looked at this topic, by the way, for example:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=18516.0

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m