• Customizer

Why bother with this?

• EXCELLENT solution.  Thank you.

• Founder TripleA Admin

It allows the community to assist with moderation. If somebody posts some crap, everybody can just down-vote it and make it go away. It also rewards people for posting good content.

@jim010:

Why bother with this?

• Customizer

I don’t know.  I see it as a rehash of ‘Karma’.  There were those that went around giving bad karma just because, and many more complaining that they got bad karma.  I see this as not much different. Â

I just skip posters who waste my time, or stay away from threads that are useless.

But it is your board.  Your house, your rules.

• I agree with Jim.  I’m surprised you basically brought back the karma thing.
    It is an improvement that each post is shown with the score…
    I guess you can just see how it goes for awhile, huh?  Hm.

• Founder TripleA Admin

It really is different than karma. Karma was arbitrarily handed out.

Ideally, it would cost you something to downvote but, yes, we’ll see how it goes.

• Doing lots of ratings already!  :-D
    About 9 ups for every down…

Would be easy for someone to give someone else a ton of ups or downs in a single day.  Also, can people abuse by having multiple accounts to pound someone’s rep singlehandedly, or prop up their own?  Can you do a limit of ups or downs from one account to another per day?  For example, make it so one can only give 10 ups to another user in 24 hours…?  Just a thought!

• AAAAAAGHHH!!  Any chance of getting rid of the black diamonds??

• I tend to agree. It will lead to what is basically another form of flame war. If the only result is that a post gets hidden, we already got that when you hit “report to moderator”

Second, funny enough it is a form of censorship because the post could be in no way breaking any rules and now you alienate members who can’t see the post or engage in conversation.

It is pretty defeatist concept and does not bring anything positive to the forum.

I guess memory of that silly Karma thing runs short. So many problems came from that.

And now yet another problem…… I just made this post and i notice 6+ respect. To me that means this is a running total thing where the respect + is cumulative. This is a real problem. The goal should be to be able to flag a post itself. Each case of that should not cause a cumulative running total. If the respect was only regulated to the actual post it might work. Whenever it becomes some overall impression of a poster, you are just alienating them into not posting and that was part of the karma problem.

How many posts with - respect need to exist for the post to get hidden?

• Customizer

I don’t really think this will work, BUT lets give it a try.

DJ probably put some effort into this, and it is an Idea to be sure.

Lets all give it a try for 3-4 months and see how it goes.

After that, we can really decide if this is a good addition or not.

(btw, what happens when a post gets a lot of down votes?  how many down votes are required for whatever actions happen to it?)

• You had +6 mainly from me, IL
    I was reading the Kurt G “goodbye” thread

Yes, it’s cumulative
    Yes, it’s karma all over again, basically

• oh thanks. and yea its that freaking karma thing again. Oh great scott!

• [quote]
    oh thanks. and yea its that freaking karma thing again. Oh great scott!
    [/quote]

Oh, man. In some ways it’s actually worse.

I just went to one of my game threads and gave my buddy Battling Maxo a +1 on 15 posts.  He now has cumulative respect of +15. In a matter of minutes, you could give someone +100 or -100.  You couldn’t do that with karma.

Fix it, djensen! (Please) It ain’t gonna work the way it’s designed right now!

If a post in a game gets too many minuses, will it automatically disappear?  That would threaten the integrity of the Play Boardgames threads…… :|

• Customizer

DJ, you should remove that “respect” counter below everyone’s name.

Have the karma be per-post, and not per-person.

If anything, make it so that only admins and moderators can see people’s respect total.

reason: if you give people a counter of any kind, they will try to increase it.  You will quickly see people giving each other “respect points” purely to give each other points.  This serves no purpose, and distorts the original intent.

• I have 0! NOOO  :-0 just kidding

ok, so the “respect” if they have more they are more “respected”?

• '18

There you go Empireman, feel better about yourself.

• [quote author=FM7 link=topic=27511.msg969397#msg969397 date=1338890639]
    There you go Empireman, feel better about yourself.
    [/quote]
    I like this post :-D :wink:

+1  :-D

• [quote author=Imperious Leader link=topic=27511.msg969374#msg969374 date=1338879729]
    To me that means this is a running total thing where the respect + is cumulative. This is a real problem. The goal should be to be able to flag a post itself. Each case of that should not cause a cumulative running total. If the respect was only regulated to the actual post it might work. Whenever it becomes some overall impression of a poster, you are just alienating them into not posting and that was part of the karma problem.[/quote]

Agreed.  The idea of flagging problem posts has some merit, but the method that’s just been set up associates positive / negative ratings with each person, and these ratings show up in every single post they make. When people get negative ratings – whether deserved or not, but particularly when they’re not – this will annoy or alienate them.  So rather than flagging specific posts as being problematic, the respect feature will have the potential effect of flagging specific people as being problematic.  I don’t think this is a constructive approach.

• Right the thing should work without a numerical value or rating attached to it.

After X amount of flags, the post should disappear and the post count should reduce by the same. It should not be  ± type of thing. + does not lead to any consequence anyway so why have it?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m