French Set…need help to finalize set.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Russians will be out in 4-6 weeks, followed by Japanese.

• thats good news, my japanese player is getting mad hes getting left behind.

• Russians will be out in 4-6 weeks, followed by Japanese.

ok then UK, German 2, or French?

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Oops, My bad…
    Russians, German 2, Japanese…

• For Global War 39 I use the AAE40 Blue French for France and Free French and use the Blue-Grey Germans from AA42 Revised (or was it D-Day?).

If we could get at least those two colors for HBG France I’d be very happy.

• Customizer

As this is the finalize the French thread, I would really like to get French naval ships.

Bearn for a carrier
    Richelieu for a battleship

Not fussy about the other classes.

• I would much rather have a french cruiser and destroyer then a Carrier and Battleship. I would be actually putting the cruiser and destroyer on the board every game.

• Customizer

@Yavid:

I would much rather have a french cruiser and destroyer then a Carrier and Battleship. I would be actually putting the cruiser and destroyer on the board every game.

More for historical significance that actual gameplay.

But the French Navy should have a BB in the set-up anyways.

• then UK and France?

• I agree that the French Navy is sadly under-strengthed but as we stand right now, I would rather a French destroyer/cruiser combo over the battleship/carrier combo.

ok next conversation; So we have Russia, Germany 2, Japan, and then France in that order? Am I missing something? Is something in the wrong order?

• i think that is the correct order but this thread is about the french pieces

• i know but i’ve seen that question asked over and over again

• also i agree with you destroyer/cruiser combo is more important to get out for the first set, since they are actually being used in the game, but it would be nice to see the french capital ships eventually

• Customizer

@Yavid:

I agree that the French Navy is sadly under-strengthed but as we stand right now, I would rather a French destroyer/cruiser combo over the battleship/carrier combo.

I agree with you. I think the French Navy should be better represented than it is. France should get at least one Battleship, but not a carrier as the French Navy hadn’t really gotten into carriers quite yet.

Perhaps a Battleship/Destroyer or Battleship/Cruiser in either sea zone 92 or 94, off of Algeria where France had a large naval base historically. In fact, perhaps there should be a Naval Base in Algeria. Maybe even give France an extra Destroyer in SZ 105, next to their naval base in Normandy/Bordeaux.
    Personally, I also think France should have an infantry or two in French Indo-China and perhaps a Destroyer in the sea zone next to FIC, but that’s just me.

• Customizer

H-39s or R35s are most representative of French tanks rather than the antiquated FT-17 which were alloted to secondary units.

• sgtwiltani , on page one coach mentions he likes the r-35 for the light tanks. maybe he will change it later

• Customizer

@knp7765:

@Yavid:

I agree that the French Navy is sadly under-strengthed but as we stand right now, I would rather a French destroyer/cruiser combo over the battleship/carrier combo.

I agree with you. I think the French Navy should be better represented than it is. France should get at least one Battleship, but not a carrier as the French Navy hadn’t really gotten into carriers quite yet.

I’m guessing that Coach is making these pieces with his game more in mind than AAG.  He likely has more French Navy represented there.  I know that World War II in Europe certainly has more French Navy in it.  A BB would be welcome in those games.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

A French Battleship got placed in one of the tournament of extra death and pain games. :P

It’s busy sinking Japs in the south pacific.

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

A French Battleship got placed in one of the tournament of extra death and pain games. :P

It’s busy sinking Japs in the south pacific.

:lol:

• @Imperious:

France just lasts one turn and you got a few infantry left to bother with.

In point of fact, one of the biggest post-fall-of-France issues of the early war was what would happen to the French fleet.  Note that it would NOT have been such an issue if the French fleet wasn’t significant either quality or quantity-wise.  The French fleet was every bit the equal of either Germany or Italy (which makes sense, as all three had been theoretically treated limited to approximately 1/3 the size of the RN until Hitler repudiated the AGNA and war broke out, ending the constraints of the Second London Treaty, events which had happened in fairly rapid succession, fleet-building-wise… and the Richelieu was a good match for the Bismark or the Littorio; meanwhile, the Dunkerque was a match for the Scharnhorst and for the rebuilt Italian BB’s…)

Anyways, point being that if you compare BB/ CB/ CA line-ups between Germany, Italy, and France, you get three fleets that are each pretty much a match for each other.  (Yes, the Jean Bart wasn’t finished when war broke out, but neither were the Bismark class ships…)  Factoring in Jean Bart, and the Bismarks, and you get 2 modern, 15"-gunned ships for each (Italy, France, & Germany) and a varying list of modern battlecruisers, updated old BB’s, “pocket battleships”, treaty cruisers… all of which added up to roughly equivalent fleets for each of the three continental powers!

Getting in a Richelieu, or at least a Dunkerque, is a must in HBG’s first French set, IMHO!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m