• Sorry it will not let me post links :P

Go to Harris Game Design .com

In the forum under A&A Global 1940, its posted in the thread “Sea lion in alpha +3” page 86…. scroll down

Krieghund lead the charge for this i believe

enjoy

• Can anyone tell me where I can find a PDF of the latest Alpha version incorporated into the existing rulebook? If it’s not yet there does anyone know when it will be?

• It’ll go there in the reprint.

• @techroll42:

It’ll go there in the reprint.

OK, so I’ll have to buy an extra copy just to get the latest rules!!! That doesn’t really sound very reasonable…

They won’t be posted anywhere online???

• @Koningstiger:

Here they are:

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6149

The first post in this thread covers everything including the changes as of 02-11-12.

You’re right, they are not incorporated in the rulebook at the moment, but at least this first post is the one and only source needed
    to cover the latest “official rules” along with the original rulebook.
    :-)

• Its not difficult, print those rules posted at the larryharris site, put them in a small folder/binder, and now you have 3 rulebooks.

Alpha supersedes all
    Europe supersedes Pacific, Use Europe book for whatever Alpha does not clarify.
    Use Pacific rulebook for anything not yet spelled out in above 2 books.

• '16 '15 '10

Alpha 3.9 is a very impressive game.  Big kudos to the playtesters and LH for developing the ruleset.

I got the impression that the OOB version was biased towards German Sealion and if Germany didn’t commit to Sealion they were likely to lose, while being likely to win if Sealion was achieved by G3.

But alpha 3.9 makes Sea Lion very risky imho.  Barring luck or Allied mistakes you won’t get it until G4, which is likely too late if Russia is moving forward and USA is investing heavily in the Atlantic.

If you are playing India Crush at the same time, then Japan should be declaring on J2.  But a J2 declaration means USA could land both air and gear in London on USA3.

I don’t know if Indiacrush is viable with just the starting 3 transports and a J3 declaration….it may be, or you may have to wait till J4.  Either way, if Japan declares on J3, then USA can move its Atlantic fleet in position to liberate UK on USA4 and land any bombers it has on UK for fodder.  Germany can do what it can to stall USA and/or retake UK whenever its liberated but at that point the Soviets should have mainland dominance and Germany should be having trouble keeping its fleet in the water vrs. USA air/naval.

If on the other hand Japan does not declare J2 or J3 to give Germany room to Sealion, then Anzac and UK-Pacific should make enough money to hold out on their own and USA can put most of its income into the Atlantic.

Arguably the most viable axis strat I’ve seen in alpha 3.9 is all 3 powers going after Russia and winning the long game by dominating Eurasia.  At this early stage I see no evidence the game remains biased towards Sealion like the OOB.

• @P@nther:

@Koningstiger:

Here they are:

The first post in this thread covers everything including the changes as of 02-11-12.

You’re right, they are not incorporated in the rulebook at the moment, but at least this first post is the one and only source needed

OK, so the link is actually 3.9? It simply says Alpha +3.

• @Koningstiger:

@P@nther:

@Koningstiger:

Here they are:

OK, so the link is actually 3.9? It simply says Alpha +3.

3.9 doesnt really mean anything

That thread contains the latest Alpha ruleset (which is alpha +3)

Go look at it, it even has the dates anychanges where made

• I argee with Zhukov that the J3 India crush nor the G3 sealion are done deals. It will only bring the USA into the war sooner and give the Russians a great buffer to gear up. I think the game is actually pretty balanced and a lot relies on luck of the dice.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@bblitz:

I argee with Zhukov that the J3 India crush nor the G3 sealion are done deals. It will only bring the USA into the war sooner and give the Russians a great buffer to gear up. I think the game is actually pretty balanced and a lot relies on luck of the dice.

Ah, but you are looking at each in a vacuum, I dare say. Try looking at what happens when they BOTH occur (which is pretty common if you know how to do both moves.)  America gets in early, sure, but they’re stretched too thin to do much of anything but focus on Japan (else they lose their NOs and can’t focus on anything.)

• I don’t think knowing how to do it is the issue. Firstly, a good Allied player will always counter the Axis move as best as possible. Secondly, and even more importantly, the dice actually are the key on those critical battles. I tend to read too many posts where players bank on results that are actually quite risky. Each round is almost a mini game. One or two good rounds can swing the game around and fortunately there is no absolute manuscript on winning the game.

If the Germans lose too many valuable air and sea units taking our the England, Sealion is not possible. If the Chinese manage to get kills regularly on defence , India will just not happen as the Japanese attack will run out of steam. If I am throwing 1s & 2s and my opponent is throwing 5s & 6s, there is only going to be one outcome. Napoleon’s famous first question when promoting an officer was “Is he lucky?”. Hence give me luck and I was always bring home the bacon even against a five star AA veteran.

• @Zhukov44:

…OOB version was biased towards German Sealion and if Germany didn’t commit to Sealion they were likely to lose, while being likely to win if Sealion was achieved by G3.

Whatever Axis does in OOB, they will loose. No mather what.
    I never ever won with Axis OOB and nobody ever beat me playing Axis OOB.

I feel Alpha 2 is best set or rules, most balanced.

• @BigBadBruce:

@Zhukov44:

…OOB version was biased towards German Sealion and if Germany didn’t commit to Sealion they were likely to lose, while being likely to win if Sealion was achieved by G3.

Whatever Axis does in OOB, they will loose. No mather what.
    I never ever won with Axis OOB and nobody ever beat me playing Axis OOB.

I feel Alpha 2 is best set or rules, most balanced.

Not alpha 3.9 ?
    I completely disagree if you think alpha 2 is

• I would agree with Bruce actually.

A3 was awfully…thrown together, if you ask me.
    I can’t see anything wrong with A2, really.

• Why in the bloody hell would that make a difference?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

A)  I have never seen the allies recover from losing BOTH England AND India on round 3/4 regardless of the paper tiger of bringing the US into the war a round early (they get to collect that full amount anyway at the end of round 3, all you are giving them is a combat phase that round.)

B)  Alpha 2 MODIFIED are the best rules, IMHO.  (Alpha 2 + AA Gun rules and placements from Alpha 3 = best set so far in my mind.)

C)  Allies CAN sacrifice their position on the Pacific board and not lose India.  When this occurs, I generally get Hawaii and Sydney instead thus causing Japan to win the game.

• @Cmdr:

A)  I have never seen the allies recover from losing BOTH England AND India on round 3/4 regardless of the paper tiger of bringing the US into the war a round early (they get to collect that full amount anyway at the end of round 3, all you are giving them is a combat phase that round.)

B)  Alpha 2 MODIFIED are the best rules, IMHO.  (Alpha 2 + AA Gun rules and placements from Alpha 3 = best set so far in my mind.)

C)  Allies CAN sacrifice their position on the Pacific board and not lose India.  When this occurs, I generally get Hawaii and Sydney instead thus causing Japan to win the game.

So the whole point of the latest (and last) alpha was to balance sealion and crush calcutta…
    what am i missing ?
    if alpha 2 was so great then are why was everyone including larry still not satisfied with balance untill alpha 3 was finished?

alpha 3 is the ruleset that will be included in G40 re-release correct ?

Where does alpha 3 fall short where alpha 2 was so great ?

• @Uncrustable:

Where does alpha 3 fall short where alpha 2 was so great ?

I feel Alpha 2 wasn’t giving enough play test before it was decided to change it. Many where saying is was cracked and allies were giving winners easily. I always disagree with that. I feel Alliance have a slight advantage, but not that much, like 60%-40%… eventhough I won more games as Axis.

But let’s take each “difference” Between Alpha 2 and 3.

1. Game order. Switch between Italy and Anzac. Doesn’t change much. If anything will help Axis in European theater… but Anzac is rarely significant there.

2.In Alpha3, Russia can declare if Axis captures London. HUGE Alliance advantage, denying Axis to regroup against Russia after fall of London.

3.Political situation, Japan naval restriction. Doesn’t change much. Any Japanese adventure too close there (too soon) isn’t a real game helper anyway.

4.Soviet/Japanese non Agression Pact. Tricky rules… adds “color” to the game, but a cost of complexity. At Axis advantage I feel, as it gives more ways to enter Russia.

5. Russia NO : Alliance slight advantage. In fact, Bulgaria and Finland are now more income. But along the fact Russia can attack right after Germany takes London…

6. India NO : Easier to achieve, but still unlikely to happen. So Alliance slight advantage.

7. USA NO : If France is retaken and holds… well, it’s pretty much done for Axis anyway. Still Alliance slight advantage. The “lost” of islands battle in Pacific is sad. Lost of “color” in the game there.

8. Unit placement : 3 signicant changes.

• Italy. z96, this only deny the option to sink z95 Italian Navy (which isn’t the best strat anyway). So no clear advantage here.

• UK 7 more HP in London + 2 more in Scotland : Impressivly Huge advantage. Really, Sea Lion is now impossible against any fair alliance player.

• Ship plancement in Manche. Clear Alliance Advantage.

9. AA Guns. Very arguable which side benefits from that rule. Since the most significant difference is 4 more HP in London… I say it’s an Alliance great advantage. Axis never really use AA anyway, besides when they are already loosing the game.

10. Bombing raid. Depends more on player’s type of play here… so kinna no clear advantage by this new rule.

11. Convoy. Again, depends on players. No clear advantage for a side or another. IMO adding dice here just adds complexity.

By additionnal complexity, I don’t complain the idea, but it just stretch game lenght even more, of a very long game already.

Overall, those new rules unbalanced even more Alpha 2… which is why Alpha 2 is the best set of rules. (OOB rule is just total impossible for Axis, never saw Axis won in over 20 games).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m