• '17

@variance:

People have to stop being so scared of that silly AA gun.

Can’t help it!  :lol:

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Maybe you don’t sink z111 on turn 1.  Get them next turn.  How many times throughout a game do you face an AA gun?  Does it stop you?  Anyway, we are getting off track.  The point is that its possible to give UK much harder choices if you use German air to reinforce Taranto and Tobruk, especially if you sink the Gibraltar cruiser with subs.  You can then nuke Egypt like Gargantua and Cow explained.

• We do the same thing in our 39 game. Land figs in Tobruk and planes in Romania to protect the Italy fleet. Can Italy afford a airbase on T1 buy ? We put that in Tobruk so figs can scramble and Ger planes from Romania to clean up ( Gar’s Bomber buys ?) if UK fleet attacks. It ends up pushing the UK fleet in the channel and out of the Med while Italy just brings down there fleet with ground landing in Tobruk.

Just some suggestions if any of it is possible for 40 game.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Sounds cool but Italy doesn’t have the funds for an airbase on turn 1 in Global.

• '17

I never thought of an air base at Alexandria. Heck, it’s $1 cheaper than a carrier and would be built in position.

Often the remaining Italian fleet on Turn 1 hits the remaining 2-3 UK ships in SZ97 while concurrently landing on Greece. Italy might be left with 1 cruiser / 1 transport in SZ97 protected under an airbase in s. Italy? So why not be protected under an air base located on Alexandria on turn 2 (the 1 inf/art from Libya walk in to protect the fighters/tacs.). Italy could save round 1 and buy an air base on turn 2 for Alexandria.

Also, an airbase purchased on I2 might be another way to protect a lone Italian transport, and especially important if it’s loaded at sea with a German Infantry.

I agree with Gar, Var, and Cow about the easiest or optimal way to get Cairo. Also, I think it’s better that Italy get it so that Italy actually has a much more important role. But if Germany spends on boats and then Italy gets Cairo, you really messed up. Germany at that point needs all 7 IPCs for Cairo and needs to be the one getting the middle east oil NOs to make up for the lack of ground units against a most likely more powerful Russian ground force.

• Like I said, given that the UK player does a Taranto attack, the remaining Italian ships should instead focus on destroying the two French warships, which will put Italy in the sea zone that Germany would then be able to spawn ships on G2. On G2, German planes (that were in Rome) can destroy any UK ships that were left, and land in Northern Africa, in preparation for an attack on Egypt.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

If you don’t sink the UK fleet, it can hide in SZ 109 with more stuff (and a buy) so that its out of range of the slower air.      You can’t do the standard opener and this.

Once you get your air down south, then it has to fly back the other direction (probably without attacking because of the geometry), Germany typically uses all of its air together to create threat (the lightsaber…), so that’s not happening and Russia can stack.

You also can’t use the 1 Italian transport to move Germany men and Italian ones, its pretty high demand capacity since you need it to hit Greece, Syria, malta, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Alexandria, etc.

The combination of those two things means that UK has a somewhat useful navy, though it takes time for it to pressure Germany, and also that you’re not taking Moscow G5-6.    All in return for breaking integrity and taking a territory worth 2.    The UK empire falls apart more readily when japan can attack from behind and take all the land from the sea, but if Japan is headed that way anyways, it doesn’t need to be combined with this plan, that’s optional.

This idea pressures UK in a less direct way than SL where they have to spend their money to protect London, and it puts less pressure on Russia, so its a fun plan (like taking the germans to south Africa).  Maybe give it a try next game when im stuck playing axis.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@taamvan:

This idea pressures UK in a less direct way than SL where they have to spend their money to protect London

The 2 bombers build G1 puts sealion on the table every bit as much as a navy build.  Maybe more so.

Requester45’s idea of Italy attacking the french ships and then germany building transports under their protection also works.  It’s easier on the luftwaffe but expensive to buy transports and slower.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

That’s true, UK always seems to get bombed when the bombers don’t have anything else fun to do, more bombers = more economic frustration.  Germany gets so much money it can usually replace losses or change up what its doing (like not committing to the massive fleet until Russia holds/falls in the midgame)

Those ships almost always live because the Italians are busy mopping up the carrier planes and cruiser or not that are left over from Taranto, they also want to hunt the planes that attacked (Syria, Cyprus, malta maybe) but also wish they could smash Greece…its a lot to do in one round for a small power.    If Germany can only build 3 units and one has to be a capital ship unless the Italians help…but their biggest ship left is a cruiser, its sometimes their ONLY ship left after the counterattack lol.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

If Italy builds a transport I1, it’s easy for Germany to load it G2 from Yugo or Northern Italy.

Interesting thought on Southern France capture G1, G2 transport buy, for G3 invasion of Egypt.  Not bad at all; and on schedule with the air scheme I posted earlier.

• '21 '18 '16

if capturing s france use 2 mech and 1 armor

• I would like to practice Adam’s strategy of building a carrier on G1 in SZ112, moving the fleet to SZ 91 on G2, and then getting the fleet into the med on G3.  From the naval base next to SZ93 you have the options to threaten invasion of Egypt on G4 or G5, or send your naval + air power to attack a weakly defended Allied fleet in the Med or Atlantic.  He manages to win a vast majority of his games against talented league players.

No matter what you do in the Med, I think that it is critically important to buy 10 fast movers in Western Germany on G2, plus some more during G3.  If you don’t focus on your push into Russia at that point, you will fail to move into Bryansk on G5.  Getting to Bryansk with a powerful force means that your fast movers can hit Volgograd and Caucasus on G6.  That is a massive swing in income… approximately 20 PU’s per turn.

• '19 '17 '16

I think I might see your point. Without fast movers bought G2, you need to pause in Eastern Poland G4. Note that fast movers can be placed in either major factory G2 and still reach Western Ukraine G4, but if placed G3 in Germany some more can reach Bryansk G6. Interesting.

I can see the merit in Adam514’s move but if there’s a J1/J2 and an Atlantic naval build US1, wouldn’t such a fleet in SZ91 be taken down?

• Simon, I definitely need to more carefully study Adam514’s gameplan.  It might have evolved since I last watched what he had done to guarantee victory.  That guy is a true master of strategy!  Some of your choices will depend on how much the Allies spend in the Atlantic.  I imagine that there will be times when you move your fleet to SZ110 on G2 and reinforce it with even more ships (if you take Normandy on G1).  Normally I hate buying fleet with Germany, but he manages to crush opponents with his plan.

The fleet could then move into the Med on G3 if the Italians control Gibraltar on I2.

• Are you guys talking about Adam514’s Vanilla games or BM games?
    There is a difference in his approach on these two concepts of the game.

• '19 '17 '16

I’m not sure of the difference.

• @simon33:

I’m not sure of the difference.

Well Adam514 use the Marine Units a lot.
    Also he has a unique way of taking care of both theatres on global at the same time.
    Invading the european mainland and stacking up the pacific goes Hand in Hand in his gameplay.

Back to the Topic!

I have no doubt that getting Egypt is an important Goal and to achive it as soon as possible. - BUT:
    It depends on How much,-What,- and Where to spend the Ipc’s in europe for Egypt.
    Also there might be some Scenarios were Egypt is not the right Goal to achieve first, like a failed 110/111 hit or hit and run.
    Meaning: too many UK Units survived and would hamper the Egypt run a lot.

I have seen Players spending 23 Ipc’s on a German CV and TT in S. Fra and had been successful in conquering egypt the next turn but sometimes failed to hold Egypt Long enough to win the game on european side.

• Do you agree that when the UK is as good as beaten (India taken, UK Europe income of 10 IPC) you are able to take out Russia even while declaring war in G3 or G4? No Sea Lion (London) but Gold Rush (Cairo)

• Hmm so the observation is that actually Germany uses its air on the UK already, and the best way to take Cairo early is by doing an airstike of the full luftwaffe. Based on the idea that you need offensive land troops to overpower Russian I will use the following builds.

Just a single investment (7 IPC) in getting Cairo, the bombers have the option to attack Cairo in G4 or be used against Russia instead.

G1: 6 Artillery, 1 Submarine
    G2: 10 Tanks, 1 Bomber
    G3: 1 Transport, 4 Bombers

I1: 1 Tank, 1 Mech
    I2: 2 Tanks, 1 Mech
    I3: 2 Bombers

Your German fleet will try to save to Bismarck with a strafe and get to S91 in G2 hopefully taking Morocco. Then to S93 to join with the transport and pick reinforcements of lost units in Morocco. In G4 you attack Egypt with your small fleet (2 transports) and Luftwaffe that is 7 bombers, 6 Fighters and 5 Tacticals minus losses from UK naval battles.

Taking Morocco for Italy in G2 combined with swarming the med with the Luftwaffe will quickly rise Italy to 30 IPC per turn. With Egypt defeated this rises even more to 40-50.

Japan will force the USA to focus on them with JDOW1 and pearl harbour

• TripleA

Ah the reason why I don’t take Allies with less than 18 bid.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m