The Return of Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

• Amazon just sent out  an updated shipping notification. It now estimates delivery on or around Oct. 26th or 27th.
    I believe Miniature Market was saying release date of Oct. 6th.
    So hopefully we start seeing these in a few days to 3 weeks or so.

• Hello,

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on July 02, 2017 (Order# 114-2645395-6413051). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

“Avalon Hill Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition Strategy Board Game”
        Previous estimated arrival date: November 07, 2017 - November 11, 2017
        New estimated arrival date: October 26, 2017 - October 27, 2017

If you want to check on the progress of your order, take a look at this page in Your Account:

• @The:

Amazon just sent out  an updated shipping notification. It now estimates delivery on or around Oct. 26th or 27th.
    I believe Miniature Market was saying release date of Oct. 6th.
    So hopefully we start seeing these in a few days to 3 weeks or so.

The WotC page about the Anniversary Edition…

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/axis-allies

…says that the release date is 10/20/2017.

• Did you do a comparison of the rule books yet? What were the changes?

• Hello fellows any word on what color the german pieces will be? the picture on amazon looks like the black version. curious all around bout which sculpts will be in as id prolly want to use certain sculpts from other games. curious if anyone has used the new rule set for AA guns as far as using the updated AA sculpts and taking as casualties etc. while playing the original version. would this change gameplay too much or not at all better or worse? as this is the only version i dont have. thanks

• '17 '16 '15

I still haven’t seen any pictures of the re-release yet, so I’m not sure what color the German pieces will be either.

The main article on this site was updated though with some additional info on the sculpts (I’ve added my comments).

Next, we have some information regarding the sculpts for some of the pieces. Because Wizards was unable to reuse some of the original sculpts a few of the sculpts are the same as Axis & Allies 1942 SE.  These are listed below:

USA

Fighter is from 1942 - boo, no Hellcat fighters :(
       Tank is from 1942 - okay

Germany

Battleship is from 1942 - okay

Italy

Tank is from 1942 - okay, but would have been cool to have the original sculpts
       Artillery is from 1942 - big upgrade here, the original artillery was pretty bad for Italy!
       Fighter is from 1942 - nice upgrade

I’m guessing they mean 1940 second edition as 1942 doesn’t have Italy.

USSR (Russia)

Destroyer is from 1942 - nice upgrade
       Cruiser is from 1942 - nice upgrade

• @84tigers:

Italy
       Tank is from 1942 - okay, but would have been cool to have the original sculpts
       Artillery is from 1942 - big upgrade here, the original artillery was pretty bad for Italy!
       Fighter is from 1942 - nice upgrade
    I’m guessing they mean 1940 second edition as 1942 doesn’t have Italy.

I’m hoping so too, otherwise that would mean we’re getting German pieces as Italy, which would be very disappointing.

I’ll probably be mixing pieces together from the original to get a desired mix. Just hoping the colours are the same. Also odd that we haven’t seen any updated pictures of the product yet.

• '17 '16 '15

Yes, pictures would be nice

• Theres a how to play video on the wizards anniversary page showing off components of the game. the young lady in the video is really hyped lol. So my post point is theres a clip showing bombers in france doing a AA gun example that im curious about. were they italys color or japan? i was under the impression that italy would match that of the europe 2nd edition. but they look very different in color almost japan like.(at the 644 mark they do show the japan bombers and thats how they look in the earlier video in france) Does anyone have thoughts on this part of the video whos bombers they are and what color italy is? i bought some extra italy peices as a upgrade fill in asuming theyd be the same color as eur 2nd. thanks

• '17 '16 '15

Here is a link to a quick video on the setup of what appears to be the new addition:

https://www.facebook.com/geekandsundry/videos/1786877438031375/

This looks encouraging to me as Italy’s Tank, Artillery, and Fighter sculpts appear to be from the Europe 2nd edition (not German molds).

edit: the Italy Artillery piece is definitely not Europe 2nd edition, so now I’m not sure.  Oh well, we only have a few more days to find out :)

edit#2: plug your ears, but I think they used Japan’s 1942 second edition sculpts for Italy’s Tank, Fighter, and Artillery :(.

• I’ve just had a look at the video to which 84tigers provided a link.  I wish the section showing close-ups of the individual sculpts didn’t flash by so fast as to spend just a fraction of a second on each sculpt.  I managed to randomly stop it on a few sculpts, and to my surprise and puzzlement I saw that the Italian artillery sculpt shown in the set-up part of the video is NOT the same as the Italian artillery sculpt shown in the close-up.  See the picture I’ve attached below for details, which includes two silhouettes from my unit identification charts (http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=31982.0).  The close-up picture seems to indicate that in the new edition of Anniversary Italy has a brand-new artillery sculpt which is different from the Canone Da 75/32 from the 1940 game…but that doesn’t explain the presence of the Japanese-style Italian gun on the left, which is what Italy had in the original edition of Anniversary.  The only possible explanations that come to mind are that: a) the people who prepared the video mixed up the two editions, which is perhaps the most plausible explanation, or b) that the new edition of Anniversary has been produced in two different versions, which makes little sense, or c) that the new edition of Anniversary contains two different models of Italian artillery pieces, which makes even less sense.

Guns.jpg

• Thank you Marc, for trying to get to the bottom of all that, and 84Tigers, for the video.

• And here’s a picture I managed to grab of the Italian tank.  For ease of comparison, I’ve reversed it so that it’s oriented like the silhouettes in my identification charts.  It seems to be neither the M14/41 model from the original Anniversary nor the M15/42 model from Europe 1940/2nd ed., though it’s closer in shape to the M15/42.

[Edit] Actually, I think that may be the Russian T-34, photographed in lighting that makes it look brown rather than maroon.

Tanks.jpg

• That is a cheaply made T34. We have been robbed!

• I managed to grab a shot of the Italian tank.  It’s the same model as in the original Anniversary edition.  (See the atached picture below.)

Italian Tank.jpg

• That is differnt from the other Tank pic.  you posted . Amd it is Italian . Yea!

• '17 '16 '15

Nice work grabbing those still pictures CWO Marc; I was trying to stop the video on the Italian pieces but it was moving too quickly :).

I think you are correct with your first explanation though “that the people who made the video mixed the first and second editions together”, unfortunately :(.

• So we are no clearer? Poo!

• I’ve put together four rough collages of the pics I was able to grab.  I’ll post them in two message due to the attachment limit.  Below is the first set: Infantry and Tanks.

Anniv. Infantry.jpg
    Anniv. Tanks.jpg

• Here’s the second pair: Ships, plus Planes and Guns combined.

Anniv. Ships.jpg
    Anniv. Planes and Guns.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m