A&A G40 Map Files - Archive & Library

• '19

Thanks for posting the files, YG. I should note that the map file is in no way perfect, but the map has been improved from the original Ambilzi scan. I found many odd artifacts, blurred lines, mis-shapen roundels, etc. I spent a couple of days cleaning up these items, but am keenly aware that more time would improve the map even more. Also, as someone else noted, the scans were obviously made from a used game board, and it would take alot of time to fix all those imperfections - so I decided to call it good enough and accept that the file has “character”!

Also, thanks to Tjoek, I stole the New Brunswick and Denmark teaser fixes that you posted in your thread. It was much quicker than trying to fix those areas myself!

• The clean version should just be the map, no air bases, naval, not strip on bottom, no anything. To me that’s clean…OOB

• Sponsor

@Imperious:

The clean version should just be the map, no air bases, naval, not strip on bottom, no anything. To me that’s clean…OOB

Well that would be more for customizers that want a totally clean slate to add their own stuff, and there’s nothing wrong with that… but I’m interested in a file for players who play this game and need a board that functions during game play. I know you’ve never been a fan of the bases directly on the map (even though I’ve never heard that from others) but getting rid of the income tracker does not help provide a functional board for players. Your idea of clean means a template for creating a totally different WW2 game that might not resemble 1940 Global at all… sorry if I’m assuming, and I will ask for a “clean” file from Intrepid if he’s willing.

• '19

@Imperious:

The clean version should just be the map, no air bases, naval, not strip on bottom, no anything. To me that’s clean…OOB

If that’s what you’re looking for, the “clean” file that YG and I provided should give you a good head start. I have no plans to pull further items off the board - I like the bases, income tracker, etc. YG, maybe just rename the clean file to “basic” or something so others won’t get confused? Thanks :)

• The naval base in Normandy/Bordeaux is black, like a negative of the others.

I also like the leveled map but I would prefer to not have the house rule victory conditions at the bottom, the ghost spots for the cards.

Adding the leveled design to the old Ambilzi design would look great I think.

• Sponsor

Thanks for the comments Schroeder, the naval base graphic in Normandy matters if your playing 1940, or 1942 (it’s not in the 1942 setup). Intrepid helped me put together a map that will compliment my house rules and custom card deck. I know that a lot of members aren’t gonna like those ghost boxes, but I can’t let that stop me from sharing the map that I did design.

• Well that would be more for customizers that want a totally clean slate to add their own stuff, and there’s nothing wrong with that…

That’s not my intention. I appreciate the OOB map, just want larger. I feel the numbers running on the bottom detract, as well as the other charts. The only exception would be the combined arms chart and build chart. We use the battle board off map, and use the chips or paper for income tracking.  Its ok but a clean version to me means ( OOB).

• Hey YG, I understand that you designed the map and you like the boxes there, but maybe the two of you could release a version without them there?  I’m sure everyone would like more options available if it isn’t too much work.

• '19

@Schroeder:

Hey YG, I understand that you designed the map and you like the boxes there, but maybe the two of you could release a version without them there?  I’m sure everyone would like more options available if it isn’t too much work.

Hi Schroeder, the “clean” file has the ghost boxes removed already, have you had a chance to download and view that file?

• Hey Siredblood,

Yes I have looked at the clean file, but if you compare the clean file and the leveled file, the leveled one is brighter and more colorful.  As far as I know there is no leveled version without the ghost card images.

• Sponsor

@Imperious:

Well that would be more for customizers that want a totally clean slate to add their own stuff, and there’s nothing wrong with that…

That’s not my intention. I appreciate the OOB map, just want larger. I feel the numbers running on the bottom detract, as well as the other charts. The only exception would be the combined arms chart and build chart. We use the battle board off map, and use the chips or paper for income tracking.  Its ok but a clean version to me means ( OOB).

Hey IL, have you played with a battle board right on map?.. it’s awesome, IMO playing with a loose battle board to the side of the table is horrible. Besides, the battle board that Intrepid and I designed is beautiful and extremely functional, but we haven’t heard anything about that yet. I have to say that I’m a bit disappointed in this thread right now… we worked really hard to add more options for those looking for printable maps, and I haven’t heard anything accept complaining.

Anyone with significant Adobe skills can take the Custom Levelled Map file in JPEG and remove anything they want, ghost boxes, battle board, bases, income tracker… etc… Intrepid did it, so it’s no mystery to those that know their stuff. I don’t understand this reaction considering that Intrepid is a new conscript but just pulled off a ton of customizer work that looks amazing, and yet no one has said… “hey man, nice work”. Should we really be wondering anymore what happened to Ambilzi?

Anyways, the Ghost Boxes are for my house rules, for my custom card deck, and for my tournament format, Intrepid put them there because I asked him to considering that I was designing “Grasshopper’s Invitational Edition”… if you don’t like them, you can try and ask Intrepid to change it for you, or you can just remove them from the file yourselves, Intrepid say’s it’s possible.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

This sounds really great YG!

I just finished the European side of my attempt to fixup the files from Ambilzi and you. Sounds like most of my work can be thrown down the drain now as it sounds like Intrepid fixed most if not all of my issues with the original map.

Will check the new map later today to see if I can save myself the hard work of editing the pacific side of the map. Although it feels a bit like a loss of time at the moment  :cry: :-)

• For some reason  I can’t get the maps to download. So I don’t know if you have battle boards on each end of the map or 1 end.

I prefer battle boards at end of map and off of map due to split UK and no clutter on map in way of people to keep both sides going at all times.

But the most important thing for you is what YOU want on your map first (group 2nd)!!!

People want to change it so be it. The funny thing (and not) is people complain but maybe don’t realize (not most) that you can download a map that somebody has made for free with a ton of there time and make it any size you want.

Keep up the good work YG and Co.  :wink:

• '19

@Schroeder:

Hey Siredblood,

Yes I have looked at the clean file, but if you compare the clean file and the leveled file, the leveled one is brighter and more colorful.  As far as I know there is no leveled version without the ghost card images.

Hey, don’t confuse me with Siredblood, that’s not fair to him, lol! Yes, the “adjusted levels” file should print with more rich, vibrant color. I adjusted the levels histogram in Photoshop to make the darks/midtones more rich and then brought back some brightness. I am sending YG a clean version right now with adjusted levels, so that should give you a good base file to do your own map changes. :)

• '19

@Tjoek:

I just finished the European side of my attempt to fixup the files from Ambilzi and you. Sounds like most of my work can be thrown down the drain now as it sounds like Intrepid fixed most if not all of my issues with the original map.

Will check the new map later today to see if I can save myself the hard work of editing the pacific side of the map. Although it feels a bit like a loss of time at the moment  :cry: :-)

Hi Tjoek, from what I saw you were doing excellent work, don’t throw away anything you’ve done! This new version of the map is still far from perfect, I didn’t have time to remove every single scratch, dust mark, etc off the board. I did do some work in the Pacific for sure, spent some time fixing some water glitches, and a bunch of blurred/shifted territory lines. Please copy whatever you can off this map to save yourself time!

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Intrepid:

@Tjoek:

Hi Tjoek, from what I saw you were doing excellent work, don’t throw away anything you’ve done! This new version of the map is still far from perfect, I didn’t have time to remove every single scratch, dust mark, etc off the board. I did do some work in the Pacific for sure, spent some time fixing some water glitches, and a bunch of blurred/shifted territory lines. Please copy whatever you can off this map to save yourself time!

Yeah I noticed that your great work did not included all the small scratches I’m removing. So I can continue my quest to get the cleanest map ;-) Overall really nice to see the community around this great game come alive.

• Hey YG,

I didn’t mean to offend you or complain, I just saw that in your latest video (bathrobe one) I believe you said you wanted to give people the most options possible in this thread, and I was just asking for what I wanted in a map. I should have said thanks earlier but I didn’t, so thank you.

Intrepid,

Thank you for making a leveled clean version as I would not know how to use the program to do that myself.  I really appreciate it!

• Sponsor

@Schroeder:

Hey YG,

I didn’t mean to offend you or complain, I just saw that in your latest video (bathrobe one) I believe you said you wanted to give people the most options possible in this thread, and I was just asking for what I wanted in a map. I should have said thanks earlier but I didn’t, so thank you.

Intrepid,

Thank you for making a leveled clean version as I would not know how to use the program to do that myself.  I really appreciate it!

Thanks Schroeder, what I had meant in that video is that the files that I was sharing in this thread would be added to the many map files that already exist and therefore bringing about more options. Sorry for the misunderstanding… the files that you were asking for are now available in post #1 thanks to Intrepid.

Cheers, and thanks for your support.

• @Intrepid:

[…] Yes, the “adjusted levels” file should print with more rich, vibrant color. I adjusted the levels histogram in Photoshop to make the darks/midtones more rich and then brought back some brightness. I am sending YG a clean version right now with adjusted levels, so that should give you a good base file to do your own map changes. :)

Thank you for the great work, Interpid and also YG of course. This new Clean Leveled Version really looks great. I always loved the Naval/Air Bases and I think with the removed round tracker and combined combat charts its a really good compromise between customized and OOB!
    I am also not a fan of the ghost boxes, but its interesting to see your houserule version and despite the missing combat chart, the Clean/leveled version is perfect for my taste :-)

I really would love to print it right away, although I somehow need to wait for Siredbloods and Trojeks versions to be finished, because both are really interesting too  :lol:

Thank to all you guys for the great work! :-)

• '19

@Dralnu:

I am also not a fan of the ghost boxes, but its interesting to see your houserule version and despite the missing combat chart, the Clean/leveled version is perfect for my taste :-)

YG and I chatted today, and we decided to offer his custom version in both color options, and the clean version in both color options. There will be some like yourself that want the battle board but not the ghost boxes, and others will want countless other variations (I read someone wanted two battle boards, lol). I just don’t have the time to be able to provide all those unique designs; I’ve already spent far too much time editing maps. :-D

In your case, you could open the custom file with the battle board in a free image editor such as http://pixlr.com/, select around the battle board, copy, and then open the clean version, and past the battle board back in place. If your selection contained some land that will help you line up the battle board to pixel perfection (use arrow keys to nudge the selection around), and then you can save the file again as your own custom JPG. :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m