Development of Alternate Version of Rules

• Perhaps not… I don’t know any more. It’s inspired by Axis and Allies and Global War 1939… I guess it just takes things even further. Maybe in ways Axis and Allies players will find unrecognizable.

• '13

I don’t have the space to keep a game setup for months and I can’t play every week. If I could, though, I would surely want to play this game. You guys deserve congratulations and encouragement for such a major undertaking 8-) :-D :-D 8-)

• Thanks cb4 for your affirmation. We love history and historical accuracy, and we think that a version that encapsulates that more would be an interesting variant, even if it looks quite different from the original.

We are determined to write rules that explain things clearly with examples. But that project is Phase II. We’re on Phase I really. Phase III is to play-test and adjust rules. Phase IV is to enjoy it for years to come.

But our time is extremely limited right now. That’s the main problem!

• I think based on the much higher quality of the 1936 map, you may gain alot more support for revisions since that’s the new standard for the game. The changes could be made by HBG once you provide a workable rules rewrite, since this would entail even more popularity of the game. I want to buy that 36 map but the 75 pages of rules are daunting to overcome. I was hoping for a 20-24 page document because my time is also limited.

Remember the 36 map is what everyone or most of us already has or is playing

• I agree with what u say IL. 35000 pages for game rules. I have the map. I have never played on it. Make me an offer I’ll sell it to you if you want the map. Unless those 20 pages of rules does come out by somebody.  Oh wait now you have a new project you can work on.  :-D

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I agree with IL above re maps. The 1936 map I have is just awesome. Though I can understand you’d want to make changes to cater to your game, I would agree that adopting the 1936 map would be a better way to go to get larger support here.

Also, one way you could alleviate so many changes would be to just sit down and talk about what you want. By that I mean, when you look at a single turn of your game, what is the scope? Is it a single month? Six months? Point being, the areas being too small for you (using your post on the Pacific being too small) and greatly be altered by what you want a turn to be. If a turn is one month, for example, ships from the US should more than be able to reach Australia within a single turn based on how long it would take a ship in real life to travel the distance.

What I mean is, if you want the naval/air war in the Pacific to last longer, or whatever your goal may be, maybe find an alternative to changing the map so much. I’ve thought about that too, and one thing I’ve toyed with would be ships/planes having to “search” for each other. There could be a dice roll where maybe you just couldn’t find the enemy ships, etc.

With that said, that also changes based on turn length. If a turn represents a month, it would be unrealistic to say on a single dice roll that no action occurred that month because they couldn’t find each other.

Just trying to think of ways where you won’t have to alter maps so much!  :-)

• Ya you could have sea planes instead that need to go out and find fleets on a roll of 3 or less.

Alter the game. Simple, throw away 50 pages of rules and make it KISS.

• Yea just rebuild the game using the 36 map. You could import global rules and tweek them for 36 time period, or just skip to 39. You only need to add rail rules and add some new factions. I would keep the thing where its really three sides ( Soviet, Axis, Western Allies), and change techs using the provided player aids. Not a fan of 3 or 4 turn builds for BB and CV, i would get rid of that and keep it global 40 ideas.

• Actually I find the BB and CV rules for Global War 36/39 to be more realistic vs being able to just drop 2 battleships or 4 carriers in one turn. It makes those units more valuable to keep safe vs just throwing them away its one of the reasons I do enjoy the game it makes you think more. in G40 its to the point where the moves are all clock work ( if you do this I do that) it has become to cookie cutter imo

• Hi have you got the setups for download cause I would really like to try this on map I’ve been working on
    I took modern world map enlarge European contents(spelled wrong I know) then then broke every country into their administration division that I could.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m