• Look forward to this video.

• @ShadowHAwk:

You can move air over friendly neutrals.

Carriers move and then the planes can move 4 spaces from that location ( effective range 6 or 7 )

Transports can unload into 2 zones at the same time.

You can do naval battle and then still do bombardment.

I thought you were allowed to move an aircraft carrier and then move the planes 4 spaces

• @bhard:

@ShadowHAwk:

You can move air over friendly neutrals.

Carriers move and then the planes can move 4 spaces from that location ( effective range 6 or 7 )

Transports can unload into 2 zones at the same time.

You can do naval battle and then still do bombardment.

I thought you were allowed to move an aircraft carrier and then move the planes 4 spaces

You may not. Each unit must use a movements point every time you move. A good way to remind yourself is to take all air units off your carriers before moving. This way its obvious that the planes have to use a movement point.

Here is one YG that I had to correct many times:
    You may not move units in both the combat and noncombatant phases unless that is an air unit.

So many times people have tried to attack with take/mechs and then move again. Same problem with sea units.

• Sorry YG - somehow this thread never hit my radar.

One I think no-one else has mentioned is the different scrambling and intercept capabilities of fighters and tactical bombers, which I found confusing and easy to forget when I first started.

Also anything that triple A gets wrong can find its way into person to person gameplay. For example, I think, the split of AAA against planes hitting different targets (which someone else has mentioned). If memory serves triple A also allows non-placed units to be carried over. There may be others?

• '19 '17 '16

Well here’s one that bit me in the rear end just the other day:

Even though W. India is a UK Europe territory in A&A Europe, 2nd ed. in the Global combined version it’s actually a UK Pacific territory…. so, if you get the bright idea of building a factory there for UK Europe you’re pooched.

• @ColonelCarter:

Some I can think of:

-AAA is fired before bombing planes split up, allowing Tactical Bombers to be lost instead of Bombers when bombing an IC and an airfield/naval base

I’ve been doing this one wrong, it seems.  But Triple A allows you to select tacs as fodder in an IC SBR.

• @eames57:

@ColonelCarter:

Some I can think of:

-AAA is fired before bombing planes split up, allowing Tactical Bombers to be lost instead of Bombers when bombing an IC and an airfield/naval base

I’ve been doing this one wrong, it seems.  But Triple A allows you to select tacs as fodder in an IC SBR.

TripleA isn’t perfect. Some other flaws with it I can think of on the spot are activating a friendly neutral not stopping movement for mechs/tanks, and mechs being allowed their second movement in noncombat if they captured a territory with their first movement in combat.

• '19 '18 '17 '16

I’m not new to AA, been playing it since it was created in the 80’s.  However, I just discovered 1940 Global last November.

Here is one rule we messed up from reading the rules and jumping right into the game.  In our haste to play the game we read about scrambling planes from airbases and paratroopers being able to move three spaces from the airbase to attack and pretty much decided that planes could also scramble up to three spaces!  We have played about 5 games and air bases all over have 1-3 fighters scrambling all over the place (at least we got the 3 plane limit correct).

Fortunately I was watching the Anzac video YG put out and he mentioned the airbase just north of Sydney could not protect that sea zone.  WHAT? After consulting the rulebook, Yep, that’s correct.  So our next game this weekend there will be a new rule!

Thanks for bringing that rule to my attention.

• Sponsor

Wow, scrambling up to 3 spaces away from an airbase, that’s diabolical… Lol. I guess things will change dramatically in your next game, more freedom for ships in comparison. BTW… Paratroopers are an R&D tech and not part of regular rules. Be sure to let us know how your next game goes.

• God damn, if air bases could scramble 3 spaces away… jesus, I would never, ever want to play Allies. You could do horrendous things as the Germans with the bases in Paris and West Germany.

1. SUBMARINES!

2. Mongolia Rule.

3. Kamikaze attacks.

4. AAA guns taken as casualties.

5. Defender determines casualties before Attacker.

6. Transports collecting from adjacent territories but distributing to only one territory.

7. Blitzing restrictions, especially friendly territories and factories.

8 ) Canals and Air movement through them.

1. Declaration of War restrictions and terms of engagement (moving fleet into sea zone but not attacking).

2. Clarify Order of play, especially N.O.s and U.S. 3rd turn war engagement.

Keep up the good work YG! :lol:

• I’m planning a new video for my YouTube channel in the new year and could use some help. It will be a top 10 list series and the title of the first episode is…

“Top 10 A&A G40 rules new players get wrong”

I would consider making this into an informative video series, with one video dedicated to a single rule issue. It would be good to have an online source to resolve in-game confusions or even just freshen up on the more complex rules. Also, clearly label each video something like “A&A Confusing Rules: Submarines”

• @creeping-deth87:

God damn, if air bases could scramble 3 spaces away… jesus, I would never, ever want to play Allies. You could do horrendous things as the Germans with the bases in Paris and West Germany.

The ability to scramble London fighters to defend Paris in G1 would definitely throw Germany for a loop, so it wouldn’t totally be a one-way affair.

• While we’re talking about scrambles, I got a question.

Let’s say one scrambles a fighter and the fighter survives, BUT the territory it scrambled from is taken in the same combat move. What happens to the fighter? Is it gone or can it be landed in an adjacent friendly territory?

• '19 '17 '16

@JeroldTheGreat:

8 ) Canals and Air movement through them.

I’m not aware of any restriction. Is that not correct?

@JeroldTheGreat:

1. Declaration of War restrictions and terms of engagement (moving fleet into sea zone but not attacking).

I also see merit in this one.

• '19 '17 '16

One I’m a bit unclear about is producing Chinese units in Kwangtung and Burma. Is that possible or not?

Only if they’ve been taken after the fall of Calcutta is my read.

• China can never build in those two UK territories, Simon.

And yes, you can fly over a Canal not owned by your side.

• @SubmersedElk:

While we’re talking about scrambles, I got a question.

Let’s say one scrambles a fighter and the fighter survives, BUT the territory it scrambled from is taken in the same combat move. What happens to the fighter? Is it gone or can it be landed in an adjacent friendly territory?

See

@rulebook:

After all combat is completed, each surviving scrambled
    air unit must return to the territory from which it was
    scrambled. If the enemy has captured that territory, the
    unit can move 1 space to land in a friendly territory or
    on a friendly aircraft carrier.
    If no such landing space is
    available, the unit is lost. Surviving scrambled air units
    land during that turn’s Noncombat Move phase, before
    the attacker makes any movements.

HTH  :-)

• '14 Customizer

Buying more units than can be placed during the mobilization phase.  TripleA lets you keep them in a buffer to use the following round which is against the rule book.

Calculating how many units you can produce when repairing a facility:
    Pay bombing damage beyond 10 (3 for Minor IC) then divide the remaining PU’s by 4 to see how many infantry you can place.

• @cyanight:

Buying more units than can be placed during the mobilization phase.  TripleA lets you keep them in a buffer to use the following round which is against the rule book.

This is one of many aspects that is already covered in the game notes:

@TripleA-map::

• (EM) You must place all units you purchased if you are able to, or as many as you can. Any units not placed get refunded to you (TripleA instead carries them over to the next turn).

(EM meaning: Can be fixed by using Edit Mode)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m