• @General:

Just spitballing here, but what if a Japanese invasion of any Indonesian island -including Borneo since it’s mostly Dutch- triggers a Mongolian style activation of the rest of them for UK Pacific? This would essentially force the Japanese player to invade all of them at once or simply allow the UK a cash bonus if they go J1.

Very cool idea.

• @The:

my very first thought is that this would trigger a Japanese declaration of war against the ‘evil’ British Empire on J1.

Good point.  In a way, YG’s proposal creates a kind of causality loop.  The proposal is based on the premise that the OOB rules are unbalanced in favour of the Axis, and it tries to fix the problem things by giving the IPC-rich DEI to the UK right from the start.  From the UK’s point of view, this simply amounts to rebalancing.  From Japan’s point of view, however, this is such a serious alteration of the game’s income allocation that it probably forces Japan to do something about it right away.  So rather than an adjustment measure that allows the whole game to be played on a rebalanced basis, it may in fact be a measure which compels Japan to take immediate countermeasures, and thus something which invariably provokes a Japanese declaration of war right at the start of the game.

• Sponsor

Thanks for the comments everyone, and I always enjoy CWOs history posts  :-)

Yes the idea was to give the Allies an infux of cash to avoid the need for a bid and without changing the OOB setup. Other than Japan being forced into specific strategy options, the only other problem is that we would ideally prefer the money to go to America.

Another idea would be to make all Pacific islands worth 1 IPC each, so Japan, USA, and the UK Pacific would get a small increase with more chances of future money to the Allies when they take Caroline islands and the French Herbies, it may even promote Island hoping. The only problem I see with this is… the income increase would come every round for territories with very little risk of being taken… it might be to much $ for the Allies over the long run.

• @Young:

Yes the idea was to give the Allies an infux of cash to avoid the need for a bid and without changing the OOB setup. Other than Japan being forced into specific strategy options, the only other problem is that we would ideally prefer the money to go to America.

Here’s a thought about how to perhaps provide UK/Pacific with more cash without changing the national affiliation status of the DEI (and therefore without forcing Japan to invade the DEI right at the start of the game).

India was a very important part of the British Empire’s economy, and it contributed over 2,500,000 troops to the British war effort, yet its two map territories – West India and India – add up to just 5 IPCs.  This seems rather paltry compared to the three DEI islands with IPC values (Sumatra, Java and Celebes), which add up to 11 IPCs – more than twice the value of the combined Indian map territories.  So what about the idea of reflecting the economic and military importance of India by doubling its two IPC values, so they’ll add up to 10 rather than 5?  This would also solve the problem YG raised about making sure the extra money stays with the UK rather than going to the US.

• Sponsor

Acually what I meant was, it would be more ideal to have the US start with more money… but if we were open to changing territory values of the map like you suggested, ya… there would be a ton of options.

• No change of territory value is needed to give UK-Pac +5 IPCs.

If you like to increase Indias worth for the British, just give UK-Pac an extra National Objective worth 5IPCs for the possession of the two Indian territories like the one for UK-Eur:

• 5 IPCs if the United Kingdom controls India and West-India. Theme:
      “The jewel in the crown” - the empire’s most valuable possession.
  • '17 '16

@Young:

Acually what I meant was, it would be more ideal to have the US start with more money… but if we were open to changing territory values of the map like you suggested, ya… there would be a ton of options.

What about adding this USA NO?

When United States Is Not at War with Japan: 10 IPCs if Japan is not at war with the United States, has not attacked French Indo-China, and has not made an unprovoked declaration of war against United Kingdom/ANZAC.
    Theme: Strategic resource trade with Japan.

• The most recent version of our G40 Balance Mod includes the following two national objectives for USA in the Pacific:

USA
    . . . .
    *5 PUs if USA is at war and controls Midway, Wake Island, Guam.
    *5 PUs if USA is at war and Allies control Marshall Islands, Caroline Islands, Paulau Island, Marianas.

Encourages the island hopping, as well as an early game invasion of at least one of the airbase islands by Japan.

• Sponsor

All great suggestions, I guess the theme is to gradually give the USA equal to the average bid over the course of the game… maybe give the USA the war bonds tech for free when at war.

• I really like the idea of 1 IPC per valueless allied pacific island. I am going to propose that to the group I play with, because we are always looking for a way to balance the game, but at the same time try to keep it as close to OOB as possible.

What we have been doing for several games, and it is working well, is this:

Play “cry uncle” - so no Victory City win condition for Axis.
    Germany not allowed to build factories in original German controlled territories.
    USA can do whatever they want in the European theater only, right away in turn one.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m