• If you get a bid at 25+, how would you spend it?

• I just tested bidding UK a carrier for SZ91, sub for SZ110, and an infantry for Alexandria.

The point of this bid is to force him to send his battleship to kill 110 and take away the strafe of 111. Also he will be forced to send both subs to 110 and 111 leaving 106 with only 1 sub against it. On UK’s first turn you stack SZ 92 and Algeria.

Not sure how this would play out, but it would be nice to have a chance at maintaining a large fleet in the med.

• '17 '16 '15

“But that is something I am still trying to figure out. And frankly speaking, if ‘Japan First’ turns out to be the only way to go for the allies, I think I 'll have to say goodbye to playing A&A. I can take a lot of historical incorrectness for balance reasons but not a failure to allow at least such a basic allied grand strategy… But yeah, still figuring this one out. To Be Continued wink.”

No reason to say goodbye ItsIleclerc. You’ll just have to help find a solution:)

• @barney:

“But that is something I am still trying to figure out. And frankly speaking, if ‘Japan First’ turns out to be the only way to go for the allies, I think I 'll have to say goodbye to playing A&A. I can take a lot of historical incorrectness for balance reasons but not a failure to allow at least such a basic allied grand strategy… But yeah, still figuring this one out. To Be Continued wink.”

No reason to say goodbye ItsIleclerc. You’ll just have to help find a solution:)

Thanks Barney, I’m working on that  :-D.
    If I can’t find a solution in Europe (call it a ‘Europe First’ strategy if you like) for that G4J4DOW I’ll call in the help of the Forum. Heck I might do that anyway!

But what if no1 finds a solution? Then we would be stuck doing ‘Japan First’ because the game fails to allow ‘Europe First’.
    I feel in this situation the developers should recognize the need for a bid (or change the setup a little) or I suspect this JPF is intentional and personally I don’t like that. In a WWII grand strategy game, the allies should at least be able to choose who they go after first. That’s just such a basic part of allied strategy, I can’t overlook it.

I guess I could also make playing with a bid the standard in my house and call the OOB rules ‘imbalanced’, like I have seen many others do already. Both on- and offline.

Truth be told, I have never played out a G4J4DOW all the way to the end since it gets into turn 13 with the axis making ~50IPCs > the allies and axis TUV >= allied TUV and after 13 turns of play both sides usually are weary enough to agree on a draw because in spite of the rather large axis economic advantage, military positioning may (or may not) present opportunities for the allies. But like I said, that’s what I hope to find out coming months.

@TheMethuselah:

If you get a bid at 25+, how would you spend it?

I think a bid of 13 is required (in the med) to allow the UK to keep Egypt and Gibraltar, which they need very badly for the allies to stand a chance. I tend to place a second FTR in Malta (helps with ‘Taranto’ and after that, also with the defense of both Egypt and Gibraltar) and an INF in Gibraltar or Alexandria/Egypt.

• @TheMethuselah:

What I think they do a weird thing where you spend like 5 for a russian strat.  They also get an anzac inf in NG.  The rest is a combination of standard med units and russian ground.  Sometimes they add a chinese inf to yunnan and maybe another russian fighter to make near impossible for Japan to take.

• @TheMethuselah:

Assuming there were no other restrictions with it, for 25 I would probably do art Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, art Alexandria, tank Egypt, fig Scotland, and the extra IPC to Britain. The ground in Africa lets you attack Ethiopia with Sudan and the SZ98 tport and Tobruk with everything else, SZ96 with the standard 91 CA + Gib fig, and then all of SZ98 + fig + bmb from UK to do Taranto. The fig in Scotland will probably save one of SZ 110/111, or get a favorable scramble if G still decides to do both, and leave Britain the normal number of figs after one flies to the med. Also, the extra IPC gives UK the option of 2 fig 3 inf buy for a safer aggressive Sealion defense.

• I would do what you said Captain Carter. I like a strong, agressive UK. And two Fts for UK is better than one.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@TheMethuselah:

8 inf in Yunnan.

• @Herr:

@TheMethuselah:

8 inf in Yunnan.

Assuming you go with the house rule where you have no limit to the number of units you can place on a territory, of course.  I would consider 8 inf in france :)

• Allies have won the last 2 games Nippon & I have played F2F.  He went J2G2 I believe, I went J1G3.  We both used to G to assist Italy at the expense of progress in Russia.  Even with a strong Italy (>30) it doesn’t matter if G can’t push the Russians back to Moscow and take it.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@ghr2:

@Herr:

@TheMethuselah:

8 inf in Yunnan.

Assuming you go with the house rule where you have no limit to the number of units you can place on a territory, of course.  I would consider 8 inf in france :)

I’ve been thinking about France, but Germany can still kill it, even though it’s costly. But if I could put them all into Yunnan, then Japan can’t kill them, and will soon be facing a Chinese army of 20-30 units. They’ll need to invest so much to control China that the US can afford to spend more in the Atlantic.

But if I can’t put all of them in the same territory, maybe I’d still buy Chinese. Anything to bother Japan.

• 8 inf in Yunnan would be game over for axis… Would be really fun to play as allies in that game :).

I played it out with a bid of 8 inf for France as well. All Germany does is not attack 111, and hit France with 3 figs, 3 tacs, a bomber, and all her ground that can reach. You win with an average of 14.75 units left, so that bid doesn’t really do you much.

Another bid you could do with 25, that is legal, is fig for Scotland, sub in 110, sub in 98, and inf in Alexandria.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ghr2:

@Herr:

@TheMethuselah:

8 inf in Yunnan.

Precisely why we have a league rule against more than one unit per territory. :P

What about locking up the Pacific with the bid?  Any thoughts there, or is really Euro-Centric only?

• @Cmdr:

@ghr2:

@Herr:

@TheMethuselah:

8 inf in Yunnan.

Assuming you go with the house rule where you have no limit to the number of units you can place on a territory, of course.�  I would consider 8 inf in france :)

Precisely why we have a league rule against more than one unit per territory. :P

What about locking up the Pacific with the bid?  Any thoughts there, or is really Euro-Centric only?

I’ve thought about pacific bids, and none of them seem to do much of anything… Problem is Japan has 21 planes. lol.

Yea, they may have too many planes…  Or maybe we just need more sea zones in the South Pacific to cut down on their range…oh well.

• Honestly I think the map on the pacific side is perfectly fine. Japan doesn’t want her planes all the way out in the south pacific anyways. I think the problem with the map lies in the med where German planes can hit everywhere!

@theROCmonster:

Honestly I think the map on the pacific side is perfectly fine. Japan doesn’t want her planes all the way out in the south pacific anyways. I think the problem with the map lies in the med where German planes can hit everywhere!

a

Airbase down in the SE Asia area can give Japan’s airpower virtually the entire Pacific (well of the area that matters anyway) range.

• Bombers in the Philippines have ridiculous range.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Well isn’t German bombers in Philippines what we’ve been talking about? Or even G bombers off a newly purchased coastal AirBase in Asia, like FIC or Kwangsi, where the bombers can still launch most places and still land on islands (eg Carolines.) Of course Japanese bombers can do the same, for the knock out blow. But it seems like the 3 German bombers to the Far East play is pretty potent, and the one up for consideration.

I can’t envision a perfect strategy in a dice game, but I suppose if one did exist, it would probably exploit the movement advantage of air, and the turn order advantage of having Japan follow Germany with only Russia in between. So I guess this seems like a reasonable candidate. I don’t know about perfection though hehe. Perfection is a pretty high standard  
    :-D

• I feel like a perfect strat can only be obtained by the axis. The allies just have to wait and wait and wait and, even with perfect play, loose. LOL.

The German bombers to the pacific might be game breaking I would agree on that. This is a lot more so if US has spent heavily on the Europe side.

Does anyone know what Russia did with his fleet off Vladivostok in the war?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m