• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Young:

Briere had his best game of the season, and trust me… I’ve seen every one of them.

I believe you. I don’t watch MTL much but statistically Briere has seemed non-existent. He is a playoff guy though.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

Briere had his best game of the season, and trust me… I’ve seen every one of them.

I believe you. I don’t watch MTL much but statistically Briere has seemed non-existent. He is a playoff guy though.

I’m beating myself up over my picks… shoulda went with my first instinct on a few selections, but I talked myself out of them after over thinking it.

Oh well… we’ll see.

• Blackhawks playin the same for last 3 years. Can’t hold lead in 3rd period. Only reason they won cup was do to goalie and offense. Go Hawks.

@Young:

I’m beating myself up over my picks… shoulda went with my first instinct on a few selections, but I talked myself out of them after over thinking it.

Oh well… we’ll see.

Same man… looking back, I had Brad Richards, Antti Niemi and Brent Burns. Switched all of them last minute and now all three are looking really good.

Plus the Wings are playing very well against Boston (I took Rask and Krejci).

I try to tell myself that is is incredibly early, since it has only been 1 game, but I still am smacking myself about it.

And I knew I should have looked closer at Brian Gionta for a wildcard. The guy performs in the playoffs and is a great shorthanded threat.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

Oh well… we’ll see.

Same man… looking back, I had Brad Richards, Antti Niemi and Brent Burns. Switched all of them last minute and now all three are looking really good.

Plus the Wings are playing very well against Boston (I took Rask and Krejci).

I try to tell myself that is is incredibly early, since it has only been 1 game, but I still am smacking myself about it.

And I knew I should have looked closer at Brian Gionta for a wildcard. The guy performs in the playoffs and is a great shorthanded threat.

Yep, I hear ya, Niemi for Rask… I made the same mistake. Not that Rask isn’t a good choice, but I have Rask and Price and they which would give me one goalie going on because they might meet in the 2nd round. Shoulda known better to split my goalies 1 per conference, speaking of 2nd round matchups… looks like you and I could be on a collision course.

@Young:

Yep, I hear ya, Niemi for Rask… I made the same mistake. Not that Rask isn’t a good choice, but I have Rask and Price and they which would give me one goalie going on because they might meet in the 2nd round. Shoulda known better to split my goalies 1 per conference, speaking of 2nd round matchups… looks like you and I could be on a collision course.

Usually I do split my goalies 1 per conference, but I was already betting against LA and felt good about Lundqvist, so I took him. But I am feeling like I should have stuck with Niemi.

Goalies tend to be the highest or so point producers on the Pool winner’s team, so it is important that you pick the ones who go the distance or at least make it to the conference finals.

Another calculus in choosing goalies is whether or not they will be getting shutouts. If a goalie has a couple SOs but is eliminated he can have the same number of points as a goalie who gets into the final… so that factored into my decision too. I figured few goalies, if any, in the high-scoring West would get shutouts (even Quick). However, Lundqvist and Rask seemed like the better choices for that, maybe throw Price in there too… he did almost have one last night.

And what do you know… it is Jimmy Howard who pulls one out.

• GO KINGS GO!

• Dallas Stars come back!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Canucks!! :D

….

D:

:(

No love for Chicago right now, hope St. Louis takes them down tonight.

• Sponsor

Montreal Canadiens going for a TB sweep… awesome! GO HABS GO!

• Sponsor

HABS COMPLETE THE SWEEP…. YA BABY YA!

BRING ON THE BRUINS!

AAAAAHHHHHH… or Detroit  :|

• Stars need to win and make this series best of 3.

@Young:

BRING ON THE BRUINS!

More than likely I would think.

I was at the game last night and it really should have been like 4 or 5-0. Boston played solidly, but not in totally dominating fashion. Detroit handed them that win with terribly sloppy play and too few shots taken. Boston did a great job at blocking shots, clogging the middle of the ice and limiting Detroit to perimeter shots (when they actually decided to shoot).

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

BRING ON THE BRUINS!

More than likely I would think.

I was at the game last night and it really should have been like 4 or 5-0. Boston played solidly, but not in totally dominating fashion. Detroit handed them that win with terribly sloppy play and too few shots taken. Boston did a great job at blocking shots, clogging the middle of the ice and limiting Detroit to perimeter shots (when they actually decided to shoot).

Big props for seeking out playoff tickets, and obtaining playoff tickets…. I would do the same for a playoff game in Montreal, but I only have $40,000 equity on my house.

@Young:

Big props for seeking out playoff tickets, and obtaining playoff tickets…. I would do the same for a playoff game in Montreal, but I only have $40,000 equity on my house.

While I have bought Wings playoff tickets in the past, I very fortunately was able to go for free through some business connections.

I understand that even regular season tickets in Montreal are very steeply priced. I cannot imagine what playoff tickets cost. You can get Red Wings playoff tickets at a pretty reasonable rate if you want. Plus you live in Toronto, so that makes it even harder… How far is Montreal from Toronto, like 3 hrs driving or something? That would be like me driving to Chicago to watch a game. Not outrageous, but it is nice to only live 45 min from Detroit.

• @LHoffman:

How far is Montreal from Toronto, like 3 hrs driving or something?

More like 5 or 6.  I don’t drive, but I’ve done Montreal-to-Toronto a few times by Via Rail train and that usually takes about 5 hours.

I’ve been to precisely one Canadiens game in my entire life, which sounds sacrilegious for a Montrealer – but by my own standards that’s huge because I have no interest in sports of any kind.  Hockey is in fact the only sport that I understand and for which I can feel any sort of interest when I watch it…which is almost never, except when I happen to hear that it’s playoff time and the Habs are doing well and that some crucial game is coming up.  That was the case on the 22nd, so I briefly checked on the game a couple of times during the evening.  The second time I happened to tune in during the last three minutes of the third period, so I stayed with it and thus got to see the series-winning goal that came in the last minute of play, which was nice.  Out of curiosity, I turned off the sound on my TV to check whether I could hear any whooping and hollering coming through my walls from other apartments in my building.  (Answer: definitely yes.)

@CWO:

@LHoffman:

How far is Montreal from Toronto, like 3 hrs driving or something?

More like 5 or 6.  I don’t drive, but I’ve done Montreal-to-Toronto a few times by Via Rail train and that usually takes about 5 hours.

Makes sense. Not sure what I was thinking with 3 hrs. It is about 100 miles farther than Chicago-Toledo.

@CWO:

Out of curiosity, I turned off the sound on my TV to check whether I could hear any whooping and hollering coming through my walls from other apartments in my building.  (Answer: definitely yes.)

That’s cool. We don’t have that here in the US.

• @LHoffman:

@CWO:

Out of curiosity, I turned off the sound on my TV to check whether I could hear any whooping and hollering coming through my walls from other apartments in my building.  (Answer: definitely yes.)

That’s cool. We don’t have that here in the US.

And that was just in an apartment building, so you can just imagine what the reaction would have been like in a downtown sports bar.  Hockey is the closest thing there is in Quebec to a state religion.

• Sponsor

Toronto playoff tickets are much worst, there’s a reason why the Maple Leafs are the richest team in the league and it has nothing to do with winning. There’s only one thing you need to know about the contrast of hockey ticket pricing between Montreal and Toronto, when you’re watching games in each city… count the number of children under 12 yrs old sitting in good seats at the Bell Center vs. the ACC…

…and there you have it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m