• Sponsor

That was the one Detroit needed… now all they can do is prolong the series by winning at least one more in Boston.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Young:

That was the one Detroit needed… now all they can do is prolong the series by winning at least one more in Boston.

A shame because they played so well…

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

A shame because they played so well…

I know, but trust me… you don’t want anything to do with Montreal this year anyways.

• He He He He

13776792-illustration-of-a-american-indian.jpg

• Go Blackhawks!

That’s the way to repeat St. Louis playoff history and beat them four straight after looking the first two.

Colorado (assuming they win) should be another great series.  Probably much less hitting!

• Sponsor

Blame it on Miller…. why not?

@axis_roll:

Colorado (assuming they win) should be another great series.  Probably much less hitting!

IF Chicago plays Colorado, I hope they lay down the law physically.

@Young:

Blame it on Miller…. why not?

While it was not solely his fault, he did not play very well. Surely not as he is advertised to play. I am beginning to think that his penchant for great play in games that matter is not accurate. He has had some bog game success, but for the most part he just seems to collapse. Too bad for him, but not sure what else to say.

I don’t know how he let in that Sharp goal yesterday (he tried to poke check, but even so). Never, ever should have gone in…

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

The Miller trade should be a cautionary tale for contenders “going all-in” in the future. Unless you’re getting someone like Domenik Hasek, don’t bother overpaying for a veteran goalie. It’s not like Miller ever carried a team very far in the postseason. He’s had some Olympic moments, but those do not equate to the North American game. I know all too well: Lundqvist is great international goaltender but does not perform at the same level every spring. Still lets an occasional softie in.

Of course stability in the position is important, look at the endless odyssey for a consistent netminder the Flyers have been on…

• Sponsor

@General:

The Miller trade should be a cautionary tale for contenders “going all-in” in the future. Unless you’re getting someone like Domenik Hasek, don’t bother overpaying for a veteran goalie. It’s not like Miller ever carried a team very far in the postseason. He’s had some Olympic moments, but those do not equate to the North American game. I know all too well: Lundqvist is great international goaltender but does not perform at the same level every spring. Still lets an occasional softie in.

Of course stability in the position is important, look at the endless odyssey for a consistent netminder the Flyers have been on…

Best way to shore up the organizational strength of the goal position is to draft and develop. The Flyers always trade for other team’s goalies and are well know for their failures in net, the Leafs have traded Rask, Scrivins, and are about to ship Riemer, all of whom were draft products of their own organization. On the other hand, Montreal stuck with Price when some wanted the Habs to trade him and keep Huet, or Halak. Montreal most recently drafted the #1 goalie in last year’s draft, and the chances of Montreal trading Fucale even when they have Price is next to zero, because they understand the importance of not only strength in the position, but also the power of a young player’s loyalty to a team that drafts them.

@General:

The Miller trade should be a cautionary tale for contenders “going all-in” in the future. Unless you’re getting someone like Domenik Hasek, don’t bother overpaying for a veteran goalie. It’s not like Miller ever carried a team very far in the postseason. He’s had some Olympic moments, but those do not equate to the North American game.

Well, I do agree… however, Miller’s olympic performance (assume you are referencing 2010) was on North American ice, if not NHL rules, but I think that matters less. While the pressure factor is still present in the olympics, I don’t think it is the same as NHL playoff pressure (at least for an American player). I am not saying the olympics are less or more pressure than NHL playoffs, just that they are different.

@Young:

Best way to shore up the organizational strength of the goal position is to draft and develop. The Flyers always trade for other team’s goalies and are well know for their failures in net, the Leafs have traded Rask, Scrivins, and are about to ship Riemer, all of whom were draft products of their own organization. On the other hand, Montreal stuck with Price when some wanted the Habs to trade him and keep Huet, or Halak. Montreal most recently drafted the #1 goalie in last year’s draft, and the chances of Montreal trading Fucale even when they have Price is next to zero, because they understand the importance of not only strength in the position, but also the power of a young player’s loyalty to a team that drafts them.

Agreed. Shopping for big name goalies is hazardous… they are being let go by their team for a reason after all. Goaltenders are inherently unstable and I believe the only real stability comes when they find a niche where they are drafted. The Wings have had experience doing both, buying and drafting. Even though they won two cups with the buying method, they were temporary fixes. Osgood and Howard are better routes than Vernon and Hasek… even though Osgood and Howard are fairly average goalies when compared to Vernon and Hasek in their prime.

I meant NHL, it’s played at a very different style since the confines are tight and play is a lot chippier.

The Avs were pretty smart to snare Varlamov away from the Caps, it’s what the Islanders should have done to improve their team instead of making a foolish trade for Vanek.

• Big game tonight in Colorado.

Just because we (Chicago Blackhawks) would get home if they won, I am rooting for the Wild, but both teams are good.

Regarding goalies, it is not hard to see how the late season acquisition can be a good gamble.  The goalie is the most important player in any team sport (that has such a position).  Face it, a hot goalie can carry a team on his back all the way to a championship.  Conversely, a poorly performing goalie could also lose it all for you as well.

The best way is to put a solid team in front of him.  Block shots, clear rebounds, push shots to bad angles as well as offensively support him.  EVERY goalie will let in the occasional ‘soft-goal’.  A good team is able to over come these goals (assuming their numbers are manageable)

• As long as they play some kind of defense when they have the lead and improve on there power play.

GO HAWKS!!!

• Sponsor

Matt Cooke won that series for the Wild, Sharks are the chokers of the NHL for sure now, Rangers will give the Penguins a good run.

@Young:

Matt Cooke won that series for the Wild, Sharks are the chokers of the NHL for sure now, Rangers will give the Penguins a good run.

Rangers taking out the Penguins would be awesome.

Wild definitely deserved the win. Glad the upstarts are not advancing.

Sharks… good Lord. I actually thought they’d do it this year… can anyone ever bet on them again? Same thing happens every time for what, ten years now?

Whew! As frustrating as the Rangers up-and-down style of play has been, winning game seven at home sure beats losing it at home. The scary part about that series is Steve Mason outplayed Lundqvist: the final score of that game could have been 5-1. He’s going to have to step up his game against a vastly superior offensive team. If he gets outplayed by Fleury the Rangers are toast.

@General:

If he gets outplayed by Fleury the Rangers are toast.

While I find the likelihood of that to be incredibly unlikely… yes, they would be toast.

• Regardless of which team you are rooting for, I bet we all can agree that there are no playoffs better then NHL Stanley Cup playoffs!

Of course, this thread is going to be read by hockey fans, so I have a stacked audience I preach to from my pulpit  :-D

@axis_roll:

Regardless of which team you are rooting for, I bet we all can agree that there are no playoffs better then NHL Stanley Cup playoffs!

No other sport really comes close in the overall: history, toughness, tradition, trial, skill, determination and endurance.

NBA might be the closest in terms of format, but is in no other quality similar.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m