• Is there,or should there be,a limit to how many capital ships can be repaired at 1 naval base per turn?

• There isn’t currently, and I can’t think of any reason why there should be.
    What kind of limit did you have in mind?

• Considering how undepowered Air/Naval bases are already (mostly due to price) and considering how few times you actually are going to have capital ships that need repairing i dont see any practical reason to limit Naval base repair :p

• I agree.
    On a side note, I would have liked the NB to have been the only place a Capital ship could have been bought and placed too.
    I do not think you should be able to place an IC in a territory with a coast line and automatically be able to place Capital ships there, but that is just me.

• I don’t think there should be a repair limit.

I do think it would be more ‘realistic’ when repairing ships does have a cost and a naval base should be required in an area to be able to build ships in adjacent SZs. So Wittmann  it is not just you ;-).

Most likely this will require the NB cost less to build but I am not sure of that.

• So if IJN takes honolulu, then USA hits sz 26 hard leaving IJN with 2 damaged BBs and 3 damaged CVs.Its legal for Japan to be able to repair 5 capital ships at pearl harbour on his following turn?
      Airbases are limited to 3 scrambling units,so I thought a naval base might have some repair limit.

• Customizer

@ampdrive:

So if IJN takes honolulu, then USA hits sz 26 hard leaving IJN with 2 damaged BBs and 3 damaged CVs.Its legal for Japan to be able to repair 5 capital ships at pearl harbour on his following turn?
      Airbases are limited to 3 scrambling units,so I thought a naval base might have some repair limit.

Yes, they can repair all 5 ships on Japan’s next turn.
    I don’t want naval bases to have a repair limit for capital ships. I want to be able to repair ALL of my fleet of 100 battleships, ha ha ha ha ha.

• And thus begins another thread on the inefficiency of battleships.

I.e., “If 250 destroyers fought your 100 battleships, the destroyers win X% of the time,” etc. etc.
    :evil:

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

But battleships are cool! No itsy bitsy destroyer can ever beat that.

• Haha!

In general, desroyers killing Battleships IS a flaw in the system of course.

If destroyers ever manage to come close enough to a Battleship to start firing at it, they’ll realize their guns are too small for the superior Battleship armor.

• a group of destroyers that launch torpedos can sink a battleship.Especially at night.I think this happened in battle of Leyte in 1944.

• See also HMS Glowworm, which confronted the heavy cruiser Admiral Hipper, and arguably rammed her, causing significant damage.

'Jed

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I think its funny that the Royal Navy had a destroyer named “Glowworm”.

HMS glowworm.jpg

• A cool thought that had crossed my mind:

Each time you repair a capital ship at a port, it suffers one point of damage.
    If it is at 6 damage, it can’t repair any more ships.

Also capital ships can only be built at factories that also have a port in the same territory.

Also ports now cost 10

And even, dare I say, reinstating the rule that you only get +1 move when moving from “port to port”
    No more slingshotting….

Now we are getting goofy.

• Ports and ABs could be cheaper.
    Capital ships being built where an IC and a NB are should be the rule.

Not sure about Base to Base movement bonus as the US could not move to Morocco if Gib was enemy held. Perhaps Morocco should have a Base!

• Yeah, I was thinking roughly the same.
    Except for the port taking damage but that is just another way to install repaircost ;-).

Only +1 move when moving strategically from a port (no combat during movement), not necessarily to another port, sounds interesting!

And yes guys, destroyers can cause damage to Battleships if operating together with heavier class ships. I still feel it’s more of an exception (and a rather heroic one) than common engagement as DDs without heavier support usually flee to a safe distance if they spot an enemy BB, or sacrifice themselves to protect a bigger prize, for example a crippled and fleeing friendly Battleship.
    For the record: I was not talking about CAs or even BCs, however dreadful they might be. Not to mention the exemplary heroics of a DD crew engaging such heavy ships!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m