• I have chips and dice on eBay if anyone is interested,  Type in axis and allies 1914, and you should see all my auctions for 1914 items including extra pieces and chips and dice.

• Customizer

Well, I got my copies Friday but didn’t get to really get into it until today. I set up all my troops in this pic (I got 2 copies). I haven’t played yet but I think I will have enough pieces along with the chips. Now I have all the armies needed to fight “The War to End All Wars”.
    A little bummed that all equipment sculpts are the same for all nations, but not too bad since this is the first WW1 game put out by WOTC. At first look, I just don’t see how the Central Powers could win. Then again, perhaps if Germany could hold off France and UK while taking out Russia and maybe Austria/Hungary could get some territory from Italy, maybe they will be able to match the other Allies. I guess we will see.
    By the way, has anyone said what actual units the sculpts represent? Like what is the class of battleship used? Or the type of fighter or artillery? I think the tank is the British Mark IV, right? It sure would be nice to have a list if anyone has an idea.

Pieces setup.JPG

• @knp7765:

By the way, has anyone said what actual units the sculpts represent? Like what is the class of battleship used? Or the type of fighter or artillery? I think the tank is the British Mark IV, right? It sure would be nice to have a list if anyone has an idea.

That’s something I’d love to know too (especially if Krieghund can provide us with an official answer), but I have a feeling that they’re intended to be fairly generic, just like the ones in the Milton Bradley edition of A&A (in which all the nations on both sides used the same sculpts).  They’re not very detailed, and the airplane in particular looks rather unspecific in its design.  The tank, of course, has the distinctive rhomboid shape of the British models, but this may be a case of unavoidable resemblance: there were so few tank models in WWI, and the ones that existed were so distinctive, that any WWI tank sculpt has to look like one of those specific ones.

Nice photograph, by the way.

• Not enough German infantry and woefully inadequate number of chips. Glad I ordered from HBG right out of the gate on this one. I think it is silly that we have to purchase 2 games just to have enough pieces. And to think they wanted 100 bucks for this game at normal price. Nuts.

• @GoSanchez6:

Not enough German infantry and woefully inadequate number of chips. Glad I ordered from HBG right out of the gate on this one. I think it is silly that we have to purchase 2 games just to have enough pieces. And to think they wanted 100 bucks for this game at normal price. Nuts.

Guess I am too aggressive.  I never ran out of anything, and I tend to consolidate my forces in Africa.

• Hey Bjc if you roll poorly a lot of units are left after one round of combat. If Germany had 2 more infantry they would be good. That for me is what is frustrating. About 30 more chips. 15 for each side(1’s) and a few more infantry and your set. No worries. With the money we shell out on these games this should never be an issue.

• I hate using chips for ships, so am annoyed at the low number of sculpts.
    It is wrong that we have to raid other games. just because we can.

• @GoSanchez6:

Hey Bjc if you roll poorly a lot of units are left after one round of combat. If Germany had 2 more infantry they would be good. That for me is what is frustrating. About 30 more chips. 15 for each side(1’s) and a few more infantry and your set. No worries. With the money we shell out on these games this should never be an issue.

well, to be fair I only played a test game through round 1, so I guess I have no leg to stand on.  I also hate using chips for ships wittman.  I may just grab a few units from 1941 or 1942 1st edition to use as units in Africa.

• Customizer

MB edition US ships are a pretty close match; UK Revised for transports and infantry; MB Germans for inf and subs.

• Thanks. My problem is remembering where they all came from.
    Dementia runs in the family.

• @wittmann:

Thanks. My problem is remembering where they all came from.
    Dementia runs in the family.

Agreed.  I still have all my games’ pieces separated with exception of chips, dice and IPCs.

• Customizer

@wittmann:

I hate using chips for ships, so am annoyed at the low number of sculpts.
    It is wrong that we have to raid other games. just because we can.

You know, it’s funny but I’m the same way. I don’t seem to mind putting a big stack of chips under an infantry, tank or artillery. In Global, even planes on top of chips is okay. But it really bugs me to use chips under the ships and I will rarely do so. In fact, it’s usually just transports and submarines that will get chipped up only because there is such a huge amount of them. With warships though, no way. So some sea zones can get pretty crowded.

• @knp7765:

But it really bugs me to use chips under the ships and I will rarely do so. In fact, it’s usually just transports and submarines that will get chipped up only because there is such a huge amount of them. With warships though, no way. So some sea zones can get pretty crowded.

This might be one of the reasons why the original A&A Pacific game included plastic task force markers.  You could use each numbered marker to represent on the board a group of ship sculpts which were off the board.

• I always break out Deviser’s little numbered roundels/cards; the Pacific fleet markers can get to big for some sea zones!

• '17 '15

Yes,I’ve bought one more A and A 1941 from Amazon for £20 because of the min.pieces.Now I’ve got enough of everything.Rubbish company.This is how they making money.

• '17 '15

Doesn’t matter which one of those games…

• '13

This has become a huge thread.  I emailed WotC about the lack of pieces and I got a “thank you for your comments, we’ll pass them on”……whatever.  They obviously don’t care.  Here’s an Ebay link for WW1 GE infantry:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Caesar-Miniatures-1-72-035-WWI-German-Army-Infantry-/140848255217?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item20cb35d0f1

These one’s look nice too:

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/manufacturers/Zvezda_Models/Scale_Figures/ZVE00008083/product.php?s=0&t=5&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&e=0&era=5&man=zve

Revell and Airfix also make 1/72 scale infantry kits.

• It’s twisted and sad, but the company knows that because they put too few pieces in, they will sell more copies of the game, because there are very few, if any, who are refusing to buy.

• Well, it’s probably too late for most of you, since you already bought a copy, but I ordered two copies from coolstuffinc.com for $64.99 each.  Since my total order was over $100, I got free shipping.  I just checked, and they are still offering it at this price.  Plenty of units; plenty of chips; a second rulebook (so more than one player can check things at the same time); and an extra map in case I spill beer on one of them.

• Don’t you mean “when I spill beer on them?”  :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m