Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• @Gamerman01:

Good, Panther, thanks for reporting it.  I added it to my (lengthy) list of rules Triple A does not properly observe. (attached)

Very interesting list, thank you. I was aware of some points listed there but by far not of all of them.

• Thanks for letting me know - I’m just glad if it’s appreciated

Somebody in the league had asked for a list - it is nice to know what to be on the lookout for.

And no doubt there’s something more that’s not on the list…. yet  :|  :-)

• Krieghund:

Is Japan allowed to build a major IC in a territory originally controlled by Japan but marked with a Chinese national symbol i.e. (Manchuria)

• '12

That is an easy no.  Korea is the only spot japan can build a major.

• Manchuria is considered originally Chinese, and Japan is not allowed to build a major complex there

• Is China allowed to DOW? Here’s the specific game situation; Italy holds Burma(empty), India is in Japanese hands, Italy never DOW’d on China, and China has an infantry in Yunnan. Can I DOW with China against Italy so I can attack Burma?

• I don’t see anything specifically prohibiting them from DOW, so I assume that they should be able to.

• Answered my own question with an assist to Wheatbeer who selectively reads rules  :wink:

I Keed I keed.

PG. 38 of Euro book

Political Situation: China begins the game at war with Japan. China can’t declare war on a European Axis power
    unless one of those powers first either declares war on China or moves units into a territory into which Chinese units
    are allowed to move.
    A state of war between China and one Axis power won’t affect its relations with the other Axis
    powers.

• I’m curious - did Triple A not give you the ability to declare war and make the combat move to Burma?

• '13

If I am doing a sea battle against a carrier, two transports, two fighters and a tac with 3 bombers and 2 subs, can my bombers retreat and leave the subs to sink the transports once the carrier is gone?

• @UnknownSoldier:

If I am doing a sea battle against a carrier, two transports, two fighters and a tac with 3 bombers and 2 subs, can my bombers retreat and leave the subs to sink the transports once the carrier is gone?

NO
    All units must retreat at the same time.

However, subs can SUBMERGE individually, round by round.

Separate retreating is ONLY done with amphibious assaults, where the ground units coming off transports can never retreat, but everything else can retreat AT THE SAME TIME, together (and ground units to the same place)

What you can do with subs when your opponent has no destroyers, is leave them in the battle as long as possible by taking your air off first.  Once you have only subs in the battle, that takes all their defending air out of the battle and you may be able to sink all their transports that way.

Subs are awesome, especially with the 6 IPC cost and double convoy damage.  :-)

So hope that your opponent takes carrier hits with your bomber hits, and then lose your bombers first, if you want a good chance of sinking all the boats.  Your opponent may be wise (depending on game situation) to take off his defending air if your bombers hit, and save the carriers, which are his only defense against the subs to protect not only themselves, but the transports.

A lot depends on whether his air has another safe landing place…  But that’s how it works -
    Let me know if anything is still unclear

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gamerman01:

@UnknownSoldier:

NO

That sounds an awful like you attack / defend with 400 submarines and submerge all but a few of them and you are okay.  They don’t all either submerge together or attack/defend together?

• Each sub can make its own independent submerge decision.  So you could submerge some subs in the combat zone, and then in a later round retreat the rest to the same sea zone (a different sea zone than the combat where the submerged subs stay), effectively splitting them up.

And you can sail them around the Pacific without any of the 50 Japanese aircraft being able to attack them without a destroyer!  Subs are awesome!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gamerman01:

Each sub can make its own independent submerge decision.  So you could submerge some subs in the combat zone, and then in a later round retreat the rest to the same sea zone (a different sea zone than the combat where the submerged subs stay), effectively splitting them up.

And you can sail them around the Pacific without any of the 50 Japanese aircraft being able to attack them without a destroyer!  Subs are awesome!

Yea, to bad 1 destroyer lets 500 strategic bombers attack 1200 submarines.  Seems off in that regard, but rules be rules and you be stuck with the rules!

• @Gamerman01:

I’m curious - did Triple A not give you the ability to declare war and make the combat move to Burma?

It did not.

• @Cmdr:

@Gamerman01:

Each sub can make its own independent submerge decision. � So you could submerge some subs in the combat zone, and then in a later round retreat the rest to the same sea zone (a different sea zone than the combat where the submerged subs stay), effectively splitting them up.

And you can sail them around the Pacific without any of the 50 Japanese aircraft being able to attack them without a destroyer! � Subs are awesome!

Yea, to bad 1 destroyer lets 500 strategic bombers attack 1200 submarines.  Seems off in that regard, but rules be rules and you be stuck with the rules!

And 1 sub can sink 1,000,000 transports by itself, with zero risk  :-)

• @seththenewb:

@Gamerman01:

I’m curious - did Triple A not give you the ability to declare war and make the combat move to Burma?

It did not.

Added to list  :-)

• @Gamerman01:

@Cmdr:

@Gamerman01:

Each sub can make its own independent submerge decision. ��So you could submerge some subs in the combat zone, and then in a later round retreat the rest to the same sea zone (a different sea zone than the combat where the submerged subs stay), effectively splitting them up.

And you can sail them around the Pacific without any of the 50 Japanese aircraft being able to attack them without a destroyer! ��Subs are awesome!

Yea, to bad 1 destroyer lets 500 strategic bombers attack 1200 submarines.� Seems off in that regard, but rules be rules and you be stuck with the rules!

And 1 sub can sink 1,000,000 transports by itself, with zero risk� :-)

The admiral responsible for leaving a million transports by themselves and ripe for a lone sub ought to be put in for an award for by his opponents. Also, that sub must’ve been modded for unlimited ammo.  :wink:

• @Gamerman01:

@seththenewb:

@Gamerman01:

It did not.

Added to list  :-)

Awesome sauce, thanks!

• '13

@Gamerman01:

@UnknownSoldier:

NO

Separate retreating is ONLY done with amphibious assaults, where the ground units coming off transports can never retreat, but everything else can retreat AT THE SAME TIME, together (and ground units to the same place)

What you can do with subs when your opponent has no destroyers, is leave them in the battle as long as possible by taking your air off first.  Once you have only subs in the battle, that takes all their defending air out of the battle and you may be able to sink all their transports that way.

Subs are awesome, especially with the 6 IPC cost and double convoy damage.  :-)

So hope that your opponent takes carrier hits with your bomber hits, and then lose your bombers first, if you want a good chance of sinking all the boats.  Your opponent may be wise (depending on game situation) to take off his defending air if your bombers hit, and save the carriers, which are his only defense against the subs to protect not only themselves, but the transports.

A lot depends on whether his air has another safe landing place…  But that’s how it works -
    Let me know if anything is still unclear

Thank you sir…it was perfectly clear. I went ahead and finished the battle.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m