Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• '12

@kcdzim:

Territory combat is different: all units defend in a territory, and you cannot attack a territory that contains a unit belonging to a power that you’re not at war with, even if there are other units there that you are at war with.

I don’t see anything in the rules that says this would be the case.  A hostile territory is defined as being owned by a power with which you are at war.  The definition of combat movement says I can move into any hostile territory.  I can’t find any exceptions for hostile territory being co-occupied by neutral powers, which is why I am asking.

• @Eqqman:

@kcdzim:

Territory combat is different: all units defend in a territory, and you cannot attack a territory that contains a unit belonging to a power that you’re not at war with, even if there are other units there that you are at war with.

I don’t see anything in the rules that says this would be the case.  A hostile territory is defined as being owned by a power with which you are at war.  The definition of combat movement says I can move into any hostile territory.  I can’t find any exceptions for hostile territory being co-occupied by neutral powers, which is why I am asking.

Axis and Allies Pacific page 18 sidebar.

• 2nd edition Europe manual page 15 sidebar, first sentence under “combat”
    “a power can’t attack a territory controlled by or containing units belonging to a power with which it is not at war.”

It is also on page 15 of the “1st edition” Europe manual.

• Does that include SBR?  For instance, if Japan is not at war with UK, can they SBR moscow if there is a British fighter there or must they declare war first?

• Well, an SBR is an attack…

• OK thought so, just checking

• Can i clear a SZ with planes (there is a TT and a DD in the SZ) and NCM my fleet through this SZ to another one?

I saw this in a Tripple A match i followed on the forum.

Is this a legal move? Tripple A will let you do this.

• '16

@orania:

Can i clear a SZ with planes (there is a TT and a DD in the SZ) and NCM my fleet through this SZ to another one?

Yes, it’s legal. As long as the attacked SZ is cleared (or only has submarines and/or transports ) ships that didn’t move during combat movement can NCM into and/or through this SZ.

• @orania:

Can i clear a SZ with planes (there is a TT and a DD in the SZ) and NCM my fleet through this SZ to another one?

Yes absolutely.  You are always allowed to move ground or sea units (that weren’t moved or used in the combat phase) through or into newly conquered territories or nonhostile seazones (subs and transports don’t make a seazone hostile) during the noncombat phase.

• @kcdzim:

Yes absolutely.  You are always allowed to move ground or sea units (that weren’t moved or used in the combat phase) through or into newly conquered territories or nonhostile seazones (subs and transports don’t make a seazone hostile) during the noncombat phase.

Ground units too? So i can move a tank trough a newly conquered territory? Of fortify a territory i just conquered?

• @orania:

@kcdzim:

Yes absolutely. � You are always allowed to move ground or sea units (that weren’t moved or used in the combat phase) through or into newly conquered territories or nonhostile seazones (subs and transports don’t make a seazone hostile) during the noncombat phase.

Ground units too? So i can move a tank trough a newly conquered territory? Of fortify a territory i just conquered?

absolutely.  Which can be used very strategically, for example holding holding mech or tanks back from attacking so that they can drive through to reach another newly conquered territory that they couldn’t reach before.  This is a common move in A&A50 with Germany’s first turn, leaving tanks out of the combat in poland so that they can drive thru the baltic states to reinforce a newly captured karelia during the noncom of G1.

• Yeah, I was surprised when I found that out, too, orania (couple years ago on this site)
    They’re telling you right

• Two questions:
    First why do some territories in Canada have a Canadian symbol instead of a British symbol? Canada isn’t a power in the game and the UK controls them.
    Second why does China only come with 5 tokens considering they only have 6 territories to take over shouldn’t they come with 7 tokens (one for each territory and one for IPC tracking)

• Official Q&A

@stroutqb22:

First why do some territories in Canada have a Canadian symbol instead of a British symbol? Canada isn’t a power in the game and the UK controls them.

Those emblems are there simply to honor Canada’s contribution to the Allied war effort.  They have no significance in actual game play.

@stroutqb22:

Second why does China only come with 5 tokens considering they only have 6 territories to take over shouldn’t they come with 7 tokens (one for each territory and one for IPC tracking)

The Chinese territories controlled by Japan at the beginning of the game have Chinese emblems printed on them, so there is no need to use control markers to indicate Chinese control - just remove the Japanese ones.  The only territories that will ever require the use of a Chinese control marker are Burma and Kwangtung, and then only if China captures them from the Axis while India is Axis-held.  As a result, five Chinese control markers are plenty.

• Sponsor

@Krieghund:

Those emblems are there simply to honor Canada’s contribution to the Allied war effort.  They have no significance in actual game play.

Here, Here.

• Customizer

@stroutqb22:

If you really want more Chinese control markers, you could get them at HBG. He has a lot of National control markers available in sheets of 20 and they are good thick ones like used in the 1940 games. He even has some for nations that aren’t represented in the 1940 games (Romania, Hungary, Dutch, Spain, Communist China, etc.) in case you want to try out the 1939 varient.
    On occasion, we like to try out some weird varient where China can go outside of it’s own borders, so we then need more Chinese markers.

• National objective IPC bonuses for the United States.  In global, does the United States continue to get the 40 IPC bonus for going to war that it gets in “Pacific” as a stand-alone.  Without that bonus, it seems like it would get insufficient IPCs to balance out the IPCs that the axis powers are likely to have by that point. I know that there are “new” bonuses in the “Global” variant as stated in the Europe 1940 rules, but I am wondering of the United States would get that additional 40 point boost from the pacific game.

Thanks!

• No, that is a pacific objective only.

• '12

@kcdzim:

@ryguy:

According to the new rules, does the US start with minor or major industrial complexes for Global 1940 2nd ed?

Minor for Global (revisions to the setup and rules for Global are located in the rule book).  Major for Europe only - which is the setup printed on the boxes.

I know this was in alpha 3, but I can’t find anything in the 2nd ed rules about starting the US with minor factories in G40.

• @moralecheck:

@kcdzim:

@ryguy:

According to the new rules, does the US start with minor or major industrial complexes for Global 1940 2nd ed?

Minor for Global (revisions to the setup and rules for Global are located in the rule book).�  Major for Europe only - which is the setup printed on the boxes.

I know this was in alpha 3, but I can’t find anything in the 2nd ed rules about starting the US with minor factories in G40.

Look here:

@Europe:

Additional rules
    The industrial complexes in Eastern United States, Central United States, and Western United States begin the game as
    minor complexes. They are upgraded to major complexes at no cost when the United States enters a state of war and
    may be used as such immediately. They may be upgraded prior to that time in the normal way.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m