• @Zhukov44:

@Gargantua:

As for ANZAC Navy, aside from transports, What do you need it for? The navy can’t attack any major Japanese fleet formations, and the US moves before it, so any minor ones are always dealt with.  Show me a game or two of equal skilled opponents where an ANZAC fleet formation was the difference maker, over ANZAC ground units.  Again you’d be better off just building planes to supplement the rest of your forces.

Combined fleets make for good defense.  The Anzac fleet (along with 3 figs for scrambling) supplements the USA fleet and makes it impossible to kill.  Also, as much as possible Anzac should furnish dd blockers when they are needed.  Plus USA and UK can-open to allow for small-scale Aussie air/fleet attacks on isolated Jap fleets, which wear down Japan’s navy and allows USA to gain naval superiority later on.

Which is why I mass dd/ss as anzac if US is heavy pac.  If US is light pac, I might be tempted to go turtle hard.

• Love to discuss this, Garg, but just as a reminder, I know how to bold text too.  :lol:

@Gargantua:

Air power is a better purchase early to mid game, than ships for the US in the Pac.  Hands down.
    The More Ranged units you have covering the pac, the more the Japanese fleets are prevented from spreading out to cover more ground.

I think I see what you’re saying, but a fleet based in SZ 33/54 can accomplish exactly the same thing.
    Plus naval forces can actually hold sea zones, while planes can’t.
    It’s exactly the same concept as on the ground -
    air gives you mobility and flexibility, but troops are what get the job done.

As for my comments about ANZAC, I’m going to stick to them.  Too often have I seen people LOSE, because they’ve been too busy building navy with the ANZAC instead of infantry, and then once india falls, and the Japanese strike arrives, they can only muster 3 ground units a turn, and they’re DEAD.

Well that’s just poor planning on ANZAC’s part.  If US isn’t going mostly/entirely Pacific, then yes, you have ANZAC play defensively.

As for ANZAC Navy, aside from transports, What do you need it for? The navy can’t attack any major Japanese fleet formations, and the US moves before it, so any minor ones are always dealt with.  Show me a game or two of equal skilled opponents where an ANZAC fleet formation was the difference maker, over ANZAC ground units.  Again you’d be better off just building planes to supplement the rest of your forces.

The ANZAC fleet serves to follow the US fleet around, buffing its defensive abilities or blocking, and therefore letting it advance much quicklier than it would otherwise.  With a dozen or more planes sitting in southeastern China, you’ll need an assload of defensive punch to be able to move around safely in the southern Pacific.  You can get a lot of utility out of a strong defensive ANZAC naval force.
    Attacking islands never takes more than a handful of troops in the Pacific - normally - so an excess of transports, be they US or ANZAC, will often just be wasted capital. 
    Yes, you can certainly get more threat out of more transports, but I’d argue that the utility of optimized allied warfleet is greater than the utility of many transports.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Don’t get me wrong… I’m not advocating building ALL planes.  I’m just saying, going mostly conventional ships, just seems slow, and doesn’t seem to fair aswell.

That said, As this is an ALLIED Strategy thread,

My advice to anyone who wants to play a strictly conventional game, and learn how to respond safely to the Japanese.  Try to match, our outplace/outpace what the Japanese navy is.

If they have 2 battleships, have 2 of your own,  if they have 3 carriers, go for 3, try for 4, if they have air cover, find your own, so on and so forth,  With this strategy, the more SHIPS you force Japan to build, the better the result will be for you in the long run.

Specifically for you alsch91, :)  I will point out, that yes, it’s great to HOLD sea-zones.  But be warned… holding a sea-zone is often a double edged sword.  you’ve built the ships,  now you’ve got to defend them.

And who needs to HOLD anything, when you’ve got 10 American bombers sitting in Queensland?  Remember, this is a game of economics, if you prevent enemy expansion early enough,  time is on your side.  If you destroy the enemies ability to manuever,  they’ll drown in default.

All that siad, I will agree though, it’s men and transports that get it done at the end of the day.  Which again is why planes are on average a better but,  because they can strike both at land and sea.  Where’as navies, just don’t produce the same results.

Axis and Allies is a game of ecomonics.  Not only do you make $ when you conquer and hold territories,  but when you destroy enemy units, at less cost to yourself.  You can actually win an economically paired game, if on your turn, you are doing more damage to your opponent, they they are able to strike and do to you.  By not having to defend sea-zones,  or air units from attack, you esentially (in theory) usurp the Japanese navy, into floating around doing nothing.

• TripleA

Actually there are two options, economic strategy or rush strategy.

How come functionetta is not a moderator? 94canuck? minorthreat? Basically people that contribute game charts etc.

• @Vance:

I prefer the term “experimental”  :-P

1. I hardly look at the names for players I’ve played against before . . . I’ve come to recognize several avatars. You however have switched your picture at least twice today and it’s confusing!

2. Maybe you need to go back to the drawing board for some of your moves.  :wink:

• @Gargantua:

ANZAC  Build ground units, Build Ground units, Build Ground units,  until there’s no point in building more ground units.  then build fighters. or subs later.  Anzac’s primary job, is to turn into FORTRESS ANZAC,  If the Japanese can’t take the island,  suddenly their only path to victory, is the capture of hawaii.  If you are doing VERY well economically, build a factory in queensland, so you can build MORE ground units.

Crazy Garg. First you want to turn prussia into a naval power and now you’re advocating a land power aussie. So what exactly is Japan doing if the aussies have so much cash that they can afford to build a spare IC? This likely either means US has a fleet that’s protecting the cash islands OR Japan is concentrating mostly on China/USSR and haven’t really ventured south much. I just don’t see many situations where anzac is getting that much income and where they are under threat of a naval invasion by Japan. Yes, they need a couple of ground pounders just in case, but their main shield will typically be the USN sitting in sz54 or whatever it is.

16+ ipcs for me usually means fighter + 2inf. That’s not a bad build if you’re facing an invasion. Especially if you’ve been doing it for some time. If the USN can’t effectively screen australia, then I love to land any carrier fighters I have and sail the USN away to safety to load up some more fighters. You can get 10+ fighters defending that capital fairly easy. That plus some fodder units means that only a very serious effort will take the capital, and something like that will be seen turns away and prepped for. It’s much much easier to get US help against a hostile takeover then it is to get help in India.

Usually it doesn’t come to that though and personally I fall into build navy/air with australia in most cases. Anzac fighters are so nice to fly into a recently captured AB or onto empty US carriers. Not only do they help keep the USN afloat, but they can mimick the Doolittle raid. Nothing beats killing some unguarded/lighty defended trans by moving the host US cv 2-3 spaces and then flying from there. The aussie navy will never contend with the USN or IJN in size/strength. But that’s not what they’re there for. Anzac dds make great blockers after the USN’s made it’s move. Which means the USN can keep more of it’s strength together and not fritter itself away as blockers. And lastly anzac units make great cannon fodder pieces whenever the bigger navies clash.

90+% of the time the allies must contend with the IJN on the high seas. So much of Japan’s income is easily accessible by sea, they have to have a navy in order to win the game. Once their main naval strength is gone they’re toast. It might take some turns, but it’ll happen. Most axis players recognize this and will try to keep at least near parity with the allied fleet in order to protect it’s cash flow. By automatically building infantry you take away a HUGE asset and make make Japan’s life that much easier. Force the IJN into building more navy. Get them into an arms race on the seas and they won’t have as much to deal with India/China. Keep those two around and kicking for some time and Japan WILL lose the game.

• TripleA

well what is the current allied strategy? convoy 97, fly stuff into russia, exploit russian NO off of afrrica, stop japan from winning.

It is okay to lose russia, as long as no further investment is required of the USA for the pacific, because atlantic presence becomes required at that point to prevent london or egypt vc win.

• Check Italy, give Japan *#^^, Kill Germany. Keep Russia alive at all cost. As long as Russia lives the Axis can’t win. (figuratively speaking)

• Anzac has the ability to take Java, take Dutch New Guinea, inflate the economy large enough to build a Carrier, add a fighter or two when possible, and then sprinkle in a sub or destroyer as possible.

I’m a huge believer in one major force, rather than a defensive multinational force, so I use Anzac to kill Japanese screens, transports, and lone subs when possible. Keeping the US force as large as possible is the goal.

I’ve found that 4 US Carriers in the Pacific, an Anzac Carrier, and the Brit Battleship forms a nucleus of an Allied navy that can take and hold SZs almost at will.

• TripleA

Yavid is funny.

• Hey…

Good topic for me as I am playing USA ( orig global40 rules ). So my question is, how to get Tokyo and secure it?

( In in reverse to be open ), how does Japan get Western USA, leading onto Washington?

I think the Pacific theatre is a cat and mouse game for both USA and Japan. With the wide open Pacific sea with no IDC on any islands. Tokyo is heavily protected, same with San Fran the momant both see’s an attack ( incl Alaska, BC, Mexico ).

Playing either side PROPERLY is fine, but if bad dice rolls, then you’re buggerd.

Cheers, BH

• What? It works everytime if done right.

• TripleA

you basically just said, the allies strategy is to win everywhere, just win. lol. As long as the allies are bi winning they should win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg

• So and it works everytime. Here I’ll give a more detailed version of the Basics, Keep Russia alive at all cost if this mine moving in an Strong American of ground troops than so be it. Remember 2 inf. a turn from America is worth almost as much as the Lead-Lease NO. And it’s not hard to make 2 a turn into 4 a turn. Axis can not win without taking out Russia it was true in Classic and it’s been turn ever since.

• I agree. 25 years ago my Axis plan was always to eliminate Russia using Japanese help from the East. Once Russia  goes the Axis are undoubtably more than half way there. Buying Inf as the Russians and buying time is your best bet. The introduction of Italy, however, has changed things. Taking the war to the Med and knocking out Italy helps the allies tremendously and as the Axis I am always worried about my weaker Southern neighbour.

• @Yavid:

Axis can not win without taking out Russia it was true in Classic and it’s been turn ever since.

Uhhhhh multiple victory conditions?

• any reactions for the allies on the india crush? What to do when India is captured by the japanese? I don’t really know how to recover from that because the Japanese are making more a turn then the US… So even if the US spends all his money on the pacific side, they still have less then the Japanese…

• @Rhey:

any reactions for the allies on the india crush? What to do when India is captured by the japanese? I don’t really know how to recover from that because the Japanese are making more a turn then the US… So even if the US spends all his money on the pacific side, they still have less then the Japanese…

India crush generally refers to a dedicated Japanese assault on india starting turn one. Yes they may get a couple islands along the way, but the whole goal is to remove India in the first couple of turns. Generally speaking, the allies have a hard time stopping this crush. Best way to defeat the crush is to buy all ground, fly air in from the anzacs turn one via sumatra/java, and pray. Japan should not be making enough that they have more ipcs then US at that point in the game.

If you’re talking a later game sack of India, then the best course of action at that point would probably be to defend Hawaii and aussie cap as best you can and hope you get a win in Europe. A Lack of India IC makes it that much harder to wall off the middle east if Russia falls though. Remember, you don’t have to win on the pacific side, you just have to ensure that Japan doesn’t win.

You should have some early position advantage right after India’s fall IF they had to move the bulk of their air/navy towards india for the capture. Take advantage of this by staging a forward defense somewhere like the Carolines and hold there as long as you safely can, but be ready to fall back if needed. Break Japan’s island bonus if you can and try to deny them that money. You’ll be much better at D then attacking since you’ll have a multi national fleet and a lot of pieces have better D then attack, so fort up somewhere where Japan has to come at you and use that to your advantage.

Keep a careful eye on where his Japanese air is though and don’t get stand and fight unless you’ve got good odds. Don’t sacrifice the bulk of your fleet for little/no gain since at this point it’ll be harder for you to make good your losses. And build some navy in the pac even if the majority of your money is being spent on the atlantic. You’ll need to replace blockers at the very least and adding some more fodder to your fleet’s always great as well.

• TripleA

I got a couple pacific victories against full pacific usa, most axis wins come in europe though… the under 10 rounds wins come in the pacific. europe is a bit later, because it does not end when russia falls. Stopping a pacific win while having an atlantic fleet is easier said then done.

I am a Japan guy so maybe I am biased, but as allies against good japan players, it is rough. ideally usa wants to get air units into russia. some bombers and fighters. convoying 97 with usa/uk is easier than dropping men on normandy while constantly dealing with italy adding naval pieces… it does allow for more air units to get into russia as well. that is the nice thing about the egypt minor.

• Things I’ve learned:

Taranto is better than Tobruk attack.
    Russia should build inf, art and mech- maybe add a tac.
    18inf, 2AA should go towards Moscow, better than Korea.
    India will fall in round 4-6, consider India falls past round 4 a blessing, fall back or stand and fight.
    ANZAC should stack with ground units, watch the Jap TT builds- if low you can build navy otherwise stack.
    Hawaii should also be stacked.
    Game is won in the MidEast, Cairo, Med region every game.
    IC on Egypt is sweet- stack it baby.  Fly those planes there.

Things I wanna try:

US bomber campaign- there are a couple of approaches to this depending on how Axis opens.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m