Most influential person of 19th century

• Napoleon revolutionized the method that warfare was fought in, and forced Great Britain to search for other means of production, bringing on the Industrial Revolution. He also altered the European political map and lead to a whole new breed of nationalism.

• I don’t know. Think about if Communsim never existed. Karl Marx here.

• '12

Communism as Karl Marx envisioned is in Cuba but was intended for Germany in the 1800s, and Cuba is moving to capitalism.  I think dictatorship in the guise of communism is what the world really got.  The problem with egg heads like Marx is that they really don’t know what the world most people live in is like.  Surprise surprise, if I get the same as what you get not matter how little or much I really work , I’m probably not going to work too hard.  I’ve had history professors who can’t run a VCR (yeah, dating myself) and comp sci profs entranced with stories of driving midnight taxi to pay for school.  Communism sure ended up being the bogey man for many years so not a bad bet!

• Idiota! Any moron knows that Communsim nowadays is dictatorships. But thats what it was called. Think about it. Would Amrerica rather invade a communism or dictorship.

• '12

Actually…Communism in Cuba is pretty much how Karl Marx envisioned it was the point I was trying to make…Idiot and moron labels aside.  The average Cuban while certainly not rich by any stretch of the imagination is probably healthier than the average American.  The industrial/military complex has profited well from how we portrayed ‘communism’.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Actually…Communism in Cuba is pretty much how Karl Marx envisioned it was the point I was trying to make…Idiot and moron labels aside.  The average Cuban while certainly not rich by any stretch of the imagination is probably healthier than the average American.  The industrial/military complex has profited well from how we portrayed ‘communism’.

While attempting to not get too political for the sake of the forum rules Cuba is actually a surprising success in terms of quality of life and equality amongst its citizens even compared with some capitalist western nations let alone countries that experimented with communism.

For instance for Cuba’s oil needs, Cuba sends 20,000 doctors to Venezuela per year to Cuba on a rotation and in exchange they get all the oil they need. This excess in educated professionals shows that Cuba is not the Communist dump it is made out to be, it is a thriving country both socially and economically. Tourism is growing year on year in Cuba despite the restrictions on people from the United States travelling there.

Its decades of Anti-communist propaganda from mostly the United States that paints Cuba as a third world nation with people starving in the streets, while in actual fact it is the reverse that is true, Cubans have good healthcare and education while America has a homeless problem worse than any other nation in the civilized world.

• If we take “the most influential person of 19th century” to mean someone about whom people are still having heated arguments today (like Karl Marx), here’s another nomination: Charles Darwin.

• '12

Darwin, good candidate.  I also like the interpretation of “the most influential person of 19th century”.  That interpretation is geographic dependent in a strange way.  Personally, I find it amazing he is mentioned as much as he is in one country in particular.  I guess Isaac Newton would the topic of heated argument if half the citizens in a major power power didn’t believe in gravity.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

The problem with egg heads like Marx is that they really don’t know what the world most people live in is like.

That’s exactly it. Communism is based on the flawed belief that people are inherently selfless creatures when, in fact, everything that comprises human society - as well as human nature itself, including the genes that make up our genetic structure - is based on self-interest. Communism was a fallacy from the get-go because its proponents did not understand the true nature of humanity.

As far as most influential person of the 1800s is concerned, I’d like to see the Emperor Meiji included. He sent Japan down the road of “Western modernization” and in the process made a new world and way of life possible for the people of Asia - an action whose consequences still ripple through our time, and will continue for many years.

• Eh hem sorry for the idiot and moron labels. I get passionate about history. Charles Darwin is a good one.

• '10

@Pvt.Ryan:

Eh hem sorry for the idiot and moron labels. I get passionate about history. Charles Darwin is a good one.

LOL

• Been reading a book, by Niall Ferguson, The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World

which makes me think of Nathan Rothschild as Niall makes great claims regarding the role of finances in shaping our modern world.  Definitely someone who has shaped the 19th century to an extend.

• @Herr:

The most powerful and culturally most influential nation of the nineteenth century was the United Kingdom. For nearly 64 years, the British Empire was ruled by Queen Victoria. And while her political power in a nation that was on its way to become a modern democracy was naturally limited, she was very much the symbol of an era that is often named after her.

Victorian England no doubt was the greatest global influence in the 19th century.

• @Fishmoto37:

@Pvt.Ryan:

Eh hem sorry for the idiot and moron labels. I get passionate about history. Charles Darwin is a good one.

LOL

Lol what are you laughing about Fish?!

• @ABWorsham:

Victorian England no doubt was the greatest global influence in the 19th century.

As a kid once wrote in a school essay: “The sun never sets on the British Empire because the Empire is in the east and the sun sets in the west.”

• '12

I like the line:

“The sun never sets on the British Empire because not even God trusts an Englishman in the dark.”

• @CWO:

If we take “the most influential person of 19th century” to mean someone about whom people are still having heated arguments today (like Karl Marx), here’s another nomination: Charles Darwin.

Darwin totally slipped my mind, I am changing my vote.

• ok let me see when was NastraDAMous? he would be my vote

• @cminke:

ok let me see when was NastraDAMous? he would be my vote

1503-1566.

• hehe Cminke your spelling like that on purpose. Why nostrodomus? Just another wackjob who said he could predict the future.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m